What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones: 2012 Colorado Coaching search profile

What sucks is that we're (non-sensical bloggers) hanging on by a nail to see if we can beat out Purdue....let me say that again...PURDUE...for a head coach. :huh:

What sucks is that we're (non-sensical bloggers) hanging on by a nail to see if we can beat out Purdue....let me say that again...PURDUE...for a head coach. :huh:

Hey man speak for yourself:) I don't know if that depresses me though, with how far we have fallen, that we are competing with a middle of the pac, Big 10 team for a new HC doesn't sound that bad to me. Way better than competing with West Indiana Institute of Technology :)

Any possible connection with Jones and Stitt? I'm very intrigued by that possibility.

Any possible connection with Jones and Stitt? I'm very intrigued by that possibility.

Not sure that would be a good fit...given that Jones is an offensive-minded coach, I'm not sure he would be receptive to Stitt...I'd rather have an HC with a defensive background who will give full reign of the offense to Stitt...

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22112982/woody-paige-butch-jones-hiring-hinges-cu-closing

Jones to Purdue is NOT a done deal. He only spent four hours there and then jumped on a plane to Boulder where he will spend a whole day on Monday. As we all know, anybody who comes to Boulder will fall in love with the place. Butch Jones is going to be our next coach.

That being said, we can start discussing how we feel about it. I'm a little worried about recruiting. He has no experiences or connections west of the Mississippi and their current class doesn't have a single 4-star recruit, and that's with a Big East title last year. I know, I know, stars mean squat. But I still like them. There isn't a single kid in that class that I hope he brings with him. Also, as has been pointed out here already, he inherited good clubs from Brian Kelly. He has no track record with a rebuild. On the other hand, people who know more about football than anybody in this forum seem to think he's a heckuva coach, so we'll have to stand shoulder to shoulder with our new coach and be all in.

Lastly, Woody Paige said that Tad Boyle will be in the entourage trying to sell CU to Jones. So, it's a done deal. In Tad we trust!

Go Buffs!

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22112982/woody-paige-butch-jones-hiring-hinges-cu-closing

Jones to Purdue is NOT a done deal. He only spent four hours there and then jumped on a plane to Boulder where he will spend a whole day on Monday. As we all know, anybody who comes to Boulder will fall in love with the place. Butch Jones is going to be our next coach.

That being said, we can start discussing how we feel about it. I'm a little worried about recruiting. He has no experiences or connections west of the Mississippi and their current class doesn't have a single 4-star recruit, and that's with a Big East title last year. I know, I know, stars mean squat. But I still like them. There isn't a single kid in that class that I hope he brings with him. Also, as has been pointed out here already, he inherited good clubs from Brian Kelly. He has no track record with a rebuild. On the other hand, people who know more about football than anybody in this forum seem to think he's a heckuva coach, so we'll have to stand shoulder to shoulder with our new coach and be all in.

Lastly, Woody Paige said that Tad Boyle will be in the entourage trying to sell CU to Jones. So, it's a done deal. In Tad we trust!

Go Buffs!

In addition to what looks like a decent hire, it looks like the CU administration is all in, so I'm hoping we will get an inkling of the facilities upgrades promised to Butch. It will be pretty fun to rub the lammies noses in our huge upgrades while they continue to wait for Santa to drop $125 million in their stocking so they can build a new high school stadium.

On recruiting, Butch took over for Kelly and quickly got Munchie Legaux to visit Cincy and switch his commitment from the Buffs. We have a first-hand example of his recruiting ability.

On recruiting, Butch took over for Kelly and quickly got Munchie Legaux to visit Cincy and switch his commitment from the Buffs. We have a first-hand example of his recruiting ability.

Meh, that's one kid and we were terrible. If he had poached a QB from Oklahoma, or USC, or Florida I would take notice.

I'm really searching for a reason to be excited about Jones - somebody help me here.

Go Buffs!

What the **** are you talking about?

Meh, that's one kid and we were terrible. If he had poached a QB from Oklahoma, or USC, or Florida I would take notice.

I'm really searching for a reason to be excited about Jones - somebody help me here.

His recruiting has been at the top or near the top of his conference every year while he's been a head coach. His record has been at the top or near the top of his conference every year while he's been a head coach. He's performed with all the stuff that will gain the football program the support of faculty and administrators, too. Yet you're searching for a reason to be excited about Jones? You're resistant to this for some reason other than what's right in front of your face.

I think the ability to effectively recruit CA, CO, TX, and AZ is a huge question mark. If it is not asked in the interview, Bohn officially does not understand recruiting.

I get the lack of excitement b/c he is not at a big time program. I know many at AB would prefer a proven coordinator at Alabama, ND, Oregon, etc. over a HC from a conference that is not Big 10, Pac 12 or SEC.

However as we discussed yesterday Bohn is trying to minimize the downside risk that a guy who has never been a HC can´t do it.

Butch is a winner and by all accounts a real class act.

I read earlier that last year several other teams tried to recruit him including Univ. of Illinois and a handful of others. We know this year that Purdue wants him and he supposedly turned down Kentucky. This is probably what UtahBuff is saying when he suggests smart people in the profession think he is the real deal.

I trust Bohn on this especially b-c it is not a pick out of left field without clear and easy justification for the choice.

Go get em

His recruiting has been at the top or near the top of his conference every year while he's been a head coach. His record has been at the top or near the top of his conference every year while he's been a head coach. He's performed with all the stuff that will gain the football program the support of faculty and administrators, too. Yet you're searching for a reason to be excited about Jones? You're resistant to this for some reason other than what's right in front of your face.

What I see is a guy who followed a really good coach into situations where the rebuilding has been done for him and managed not to screw it up. That may be unfair, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of his success is evidence of his ability to coach or Kelly's ability to build a program. He was only at CMU for 3 years and he's only been at Cincy for 3 so his senior class in both stops were Kelly recruits at the time he left.

All I keep hearing is that he has a good record, does things the right way, and his players are respectful and get good grades. The Hawk comparisons may be unfair, but success at a smaller school, good record following previous coach who established the program, coaches the right way, good grades...it all sounds eerily familiar and I really haven't heard much else to get me excited.

What I see is a guy who followed a really good coach into situations where the rebuilding has been done for him and managed not to screw it up. That may be unfair, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of his success is evidence of his ability to coach or Kelly's ability to build a program. He was only at CMU for 3 years and he's only been at Cincy for 3 so his senior class in both stops were Kelly recruits at the time he left.

All I keep hearing is that he has a good record, does things the right way, and his players are respectful and get good grades. The Hawk comparisons may be unfair, but success at a smaller school, good record following previous coach who established the program, coaches the right way, good grades...it all sounds eerily familiar and I really haven't heard much else to get me excited.

The Hawkins comparisons are totally lost on me.

The fact is, Jones has more BCS experience than Hawkins ever did.

The Hawkins comparisons are totally lost on me.

The fact is, Jones has more BCS experience than Hawkins ever did.

He does, I think I'm just discounting the Big East as compared to the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 12. I guess he was a WR coach at WVU for 2 years which is something.

The Hawk comparison (for me) is that he's been a successful head coach at smaller schools where the program building had already been done and the team was already winning games - he continued it. I realize that just because Hawk failed doesn't mean other coaches with similar backgrounds will fail, but with him leaving each stop after 3 years it's hard for me to tell how much credit should go to him or the guy before him.

I don't think the Hawkins comparisons are fair. If you think long and hard about it, you could find similarities between any two coaches. There are enough differences so that I'm not overly concerned about it.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of having a head coach named Butch. I'm hoping this works out.

All those things that worry you in comparisons to Hawkins are positive things.

On the other side, Jones has been coaching in an AQ conference and the non-AQ conference from which many of today's top coaches cut their chops. Name a top BCS coach and most likely he was a successful HC in the MAC or Big East. Also, the 3rd year at a place is far enough in to where it's fair to say that the coat tail ride is over whether the previous coach was successful or not. Finally, Jones was Kelly's coordinator for 3 years not just a staff member (different than the Koetter-Hawkins dynamic) and also left for a couple years to get out from under the shadow and learn the West Virginia offensive system.

Anyway, there's no such thing as a sure thing. He could end up failing if he came here. But there's not anything there to suggest that he would do anything except succeed. I think most of the concerns are pretty much only about still feeling snakebit from the Hawkins failure.

All those things that worry you in comparisons to Hawkins are positive things.

On the other side, Jones has been coaching in an AQ conference and the non-AQ conference from which many of today's top coaches cut their chops. Name a top BCS coach and most likely he was a successful HC in the MAC or Big East. Also, the 3rd year at a place is far enough in to where it's fair to say that the coat tail ride is over whether the previous coach was successful or not. Finally, Jones was Kelly's coordinator for 3 years not just a staff member (different than the Koetter-Hawkins dynamic) and also left for a couple years to get out from under the shadow and learn the West Virginia offensive system.

Anyway, there's no such thing as a sure thing. He could end up failing if he came here. But there's not anything there to suggest that he would do anything except succeed. I think most of the concerns are pretty much only about still feeling snakebit from the Hawkins failure.
I think the staff and recruiting the west/texas concerns are valid.... but the answer to both of those is probably in he he answers the staff question. Which means we won't know the answer unless he's hired and we see his staff.

I think the staff and recruiting the west/texas concerns are valid.... but the answer to both of those is probably in he he answers the staff question. Which means we won't know the answer unless he's hired and we see his staff.

hehe

I like the thought of his no-huddle spread attack at 5345 feet, too. I think Shane Dillon will flourish in it and win the job outright in spring ball. Anybody know what kind of defense he runs?

Did Snow really try to say that AllBuffs doesn't know all and predict all? Crazy talk.

He does, I think I'm just discounting the Big East as compared to the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 12. I guess he was a WR coach at WVU for 2 years which is something.

The Hawk comparison (for me) is that he's been a successful head coach at smaller schools where the program building had already been done and the team was already winning games - he continued it. I realize that just because Hawk failed doesn't mean other coaches with similar backgrounds will fail, but with him leaving each stop after 3 years it's hard for me to tell how much credit should go to him or the guy before him.

I understand where the comparison is coming from and I, too, wish he had walked into a tough/rebuilding situation somewhere in his career.

That said, there is one distinct difference between Hawkins and Jones. Jones calls the offensive plays. Hawkins left that to Petersen, Helfrich and Kiesau. Hawkins was a cheerleader & head guy with no familiarity with BCS programs.

It's easy to discount Big East experience; however, look at how Todd Graham did at Arizona State this year. His Pitt team was 6-6 in 2011. He lost to Butch Jones' Bearcats 34-10 in 2011. Graham led ASU to a 7-5 record with his losses coming against #19 USC, UCLA, #3 Oregon, #11 Oregon St and Missouri (Rankings shown are point in time, not current).

BCS experience matters.. no matter which of the Big 6 conferences we're referring to.

Last edited:
I understand where the comparison is coming from and I, too, wish he had walked into a tough/rebuilding situation somewhere in his career.

That said, there is one distinct difference between Hawkins and Jones. Jones calls the offensive plays. Hawkins left that to Petersen, Helfrich and Kiesau. Hawkins was a cheerleader & head guy with no familiarity with BCS programs.

It's easy to discount Big East experience; however, look at how Todd Graham did at Arizona State this year. His Pitt team was 6-6 in 2011. He lost to Butch Jones' Bearcats 34-10 in 2011. Graham led ASU to a 7-5 record with his losses coming against #19 USC, UCLA, #3 Oregon, #11 Oregon St and Missouri (Rankings shown are point in time, not current).

BCS experience matters.. no matter which of the Big 6 conferences we're referring to.

Good info, thanks.

The more I think about it, we've been building a deep foundation for over 7 years now so this situation should be tailor made for Jones to succeed. :thumbsup:

True, but Graham inherited a good team from Erickson. Erickson wasn't getting the best out of his players (which is why he lost the job), but he recruited well.

I'm not sold on Jones, but I'd prefer him to most of the candidates being mentioned.

Back