What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones: 2012 Colorado Coaching search profile

Last edited:
Trying to validate his time as OC at CMU from 2001-2003. The records weren't all that good. 3-8, 4-8, 3-9. Is there something to look for in the stats?

Edit:
Here are some of the numbers:
2001:
PS/G: 22.8 (83rd of 117)
Passing: 180.6/Game
Rushing: 199.0/Game
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-michigan/2001.html
2002:
PS/G: 22.2 (92nd of 117)
Passing: 166.2/Game
Rushing: 206.1/Game
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-michigan/2002.html
2003:
PS/G: 23.1 (79th of 117)
Passing: 174.8/Game
Rushing: 195.8/Game
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-michigan/2003.html

Last edited:
Trying to validate his time as OC at CMU from 2001-2003. The records weren't all that good. 3-8, 4-8, 3-9. Is there something to look for in the stats?

His teams were one of better running teams in college football:
2001: 24th
2002: 23rd
2003: 22nd

In 2000, before Butch took over the offense, Central Michigan was 104th in rushing offense.

Per CMU's website: Jones filled a variety of roles during his first stint at CMU (1998-2004), including serving as offensive coordinator from 2001-03. The Chippewas averaged just 271.5 yards per game and 12.5 points per game in 2000; in 2001, Jones’ first season directing the offense, those averages jumped to 379.5 yards per game and 22.8 points per game, respectively. He coached three different running backs who earned All-MAC first team or second team honors.

Passing game was in the 90s until 2004 when Kelly showed up.

It can't be all that easy to convince kids to come to Cincinnati.

You would think. But if you're recruiting in the Midwest, it's all pretty much one giant suck anyway. And what's amazing to me, is that Midwesterners don't seem to mind.

His teams were one of better running teams in college football:
2001: 24th
2002: 23rd
2003: 22nd

In 2000, before Butch took over the offense, Central Michigan was 104th in rushing offense.

Per CMU's website: Jones filled a variety of roles during his first stint at CMU (1998-2004), including serving as offensive coordinator from 2001-03. The Chippewas averaged just 271.5 yards per game and 12.5 points per game in 2000; in 2001, Jones’ first season directing the offense, those averages jumped to 379.5 yards per game and 22.8 points per game, respectively. He coached three different running backs who earned All-MAC first team or second team honors.

Passing game was in the 90s until 2004 when Kelly showed up.

That's good stuff. I added some numbers to my post. What's impressive is that in '00 CMU averaged about 92yards/game on the ground and in his first year '01 that jumped to 199yards/game.

I'm coming around on Jones. I love his offense and I think that's exactly what we need to be rocking.

I just wish he had a rebuild on his resume, but I guess we'll find out how much that matters.

I'm coming around on Jones. I love his offense and I think that's exactly what we need to be rocking.

I just wish he had a rebuild on his resume, but I guess we'll find out how much that matters.

let me ask you this, does CU have less talent that Cinncy?

let me ask you this, does CU have less talent that Cinncy?

I'm going with yes, but it's probably not that much less. I really don't know what to make of our talent after this season. I feel like there's a whole lot more talent on defense than we saw. Offense could see an infusion of solid talent next season too.

Even if this guy is the real deal, the schedule next year isn't easy. I'll probably have trouble predicting a bowl game next season, but much kool-aid will probably be consumed between now and the CSU game.

just as a comparison - Game****s HC and multiple time national championship winner Steve Spurrier is getting an extension and will be paid 3.3 million per year. Butch is getting paid well.

My only compliant is I wanted a defensive guy so stit could be the OC.

Stitt is intruiging, but let's not forget that he is coaching a division 2 team. Big difference between that level of play and the PAC12. I'm not really excited to have to live through another coach adjusting and learning on the job. I'm sure he'll get a shot somewhere and do well though. I'm perfectly happy having Jones step in and run it his way.

te6u7y9y.jpg

Nice looking family .

yzyvadyd.jpg

Nice looking plane

Stitt is intruiging, but let's not forget that he is coaching a division 2 team. Big difference between that level of play and the PAC12. I'm not really excited to have to live through another coach adjusting and learning on the job. I'm sure he'll get a shot somewhere and do well though. I'm perfectly happy having Jones step in and run it his way.

I am also not entirely comfortable with the university trying to "suggest" an OC candidate to the HC. The HC should be able to bring in all his own guys and succeed or fail on his own merits. Realistically, Stitt only made sense if we kept Embree imo.

Stitt will be at a major program next year if its not here.

I am also not entirely comfortable with the university trying to "suggest" an OC candidate to the HC. The HC should be able to bring in all his own guys and succeed or fail on his own merits. Realistically, Stitt only made sense if we kept Embree imo.
With Butch's offensive background, and Stitt wanting to have complete control over his offense, it's probable that train has left the building. Which is too bad, he's well regarded.

cuatthegame @cuatthegame1

A primer on presumptive CU head coach Lyle Allen "Butch" Jones, Jr., including offensive and defensive philosophies cuatthegame.com

Last edited:
For those who are concerned that Jones walked into good programs built by Brian Kelly, CMU's record since Butch Jones left: 12-24. Credit to cuatthegame for that one.

For those who are concerned that Jones walked into good programs built by Brian Kelly, CMU's record since Butch Jones left: 12-24. Credit to cuatthegame for that one.

It can also mean, he didn't leave behind good players for the next coach.

Back