What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones-Decision Day #3 Thread

thanks Cpaw - but, for all that cash and power he should run naked from WKRP in Cincinnati to Boulder...I just hate how unorganized this all looks and sounds. The University of Colorado is better than all this, at-least so I thought? All our coaches in the past have cried for indoor facilities to practice in...Jones is getting them and has never coached a snap here yet. BTW way to go BUFFS BB team!!

He has an agenda. Unfortunately, he thinks he is important enough to implement his agenda. After BJ is on board he needs to shut his pie hole and support the program. Continually calling the program a joke in order to push his anti Bohn agenda does nothing positive.

**** Klatt. He is full of himself because he was CUs best QB over the last decade. That isn't really saying a lot Joel!

Just because Cincy stands to lose kajillions for decades to come if they don't pony up a few more mil now, well, we should relax and keep claiming that Cincy can't possibly raise their offer. They can run off to the ACC and be content with Basketball's few dollars, or try to go Big Time and get tens of millions with a more successful football program. We know they'll take the lazy way out - it's not like they were going to keep getting national headlines in Football anyway.

I wish we had a choice in the CFB landscape that has developed. Hard to "pony" up Millions when you are not sure where your destination is yet, so I am not sure lazy is the right term, fiscally responsible sounds better to me.

FWIW, I believe we will land somewhere and remain relevant in both football and basketball.

I will root for CU and Jones if he goes out there. He has been great to our City and will be a great asset for yours also, and I also love Colorado after spending time their during my Air Force days. No news here yet......

Were you at Lowry or Pete Field? I was at Travis AFB in California...had to get out after the first Gulf War so I could start working on getting back home to Colorado.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

CPAW, I don't know about Football. I wish there was an 90,000-seat stadium there because more than winning, it's Stadium Size that kicks open the biggest conference pay-days. And staying on the East Coast for time-of-day games is critical because East Game TV is watched all over, all times of the day. West Coast isn't. Conferences with West-Coast night time games lose almost 70% of ad revenues, and this trend isn't changing. When the next TV contracts hit the fan, this might be a huge blow in conference pay-outs.

Neb was used to having its way in conferences with it's "big" stadium but now it's fallen further back in revenue.

I think your "Go to ACC" argument is the best situation - Football won't be King there because there are too few talent-bases and too many programs that want those, but at least a strong Basketball program can help Football recruiting maintain an even keel by BB's good publicity.

Klatt excoriated Bohn this morning. Said he has totally mismanaged this entire thing. I don't think you want to invite Bohn and Klatt to your Christmas party. JK argues that the money offer has been way too public, allowing BJ to use it for other offers. I get that criticism. But if, as expected, BJ comes here, I don't know how you can rip Bohn.

It shows how little Klatt has thought through this. In all liklihood Bohn wasn't the guy to release the salary offer. It was BJ's agent, trying to see if someone would match/improve the offer.

And before someone spouts off about the fact that there should have been a NDA in place, understand there probably was. But it would only be enforced to the extent BJ takes an improved offer somewhere else.

Characterizing BJ as a major coup is overselling him, IMHO. Maybe that shows how far we have fallen, but if he doesn't come here we will find a good coach. I hope he does, though, because like others here I'm ready for this to be over.

It shows how little Klatt has thought through this. In all liklihood Bohn wasn't the guy to release the salary offer. It was BJ's agent, trying to see if someone would match/improve the offer.

And before someone spouts off about the fact that there should have been a NDA in place, understand there probably was. But it would only be enforced to the extent BJ takes an improved offer somewhere else.
after He fired Embree, Bohn made public that we were willing to go as high as $2.5 million. But, come on, once an offer is made by one party, his agent will tell others what they have to match.

I think most of the blame is on the media and Jones for this cluster****...just one dude with an opinion...don't have enough of those :lol:.

Characterizing BJ as a major coup is overselling him, IMHO. Maybe that shows how far we have fallen, but if he doesn't come here we will find a good coach. I hope he does, though, because like others here I'm ready for this to be over.

I don't think Notre Dame is saying that about Brian Kelly? Not saying you are going to win the NC in 3 years with CBJ, but does not mean you have fallen off the map because CBJ is taking his time to choose CU.

CPAW, I don't know about Football. I wish there was an 90,000-seat stadium there because more than winning, it's Stadium Size that kicks open the biggest conference pay-days. And staying on the East Coast for time-of-day games is critical because East Game TV is watched all over, all times of the day. West Coast isn't. Conferences with West-Coast night time games lose almost 70% of ad revenues, and this trend isn't changing. When the next TV contracts hit the fan, this might be a huge blow in conference pay-outs.

Neb was used to having its way in conferences with it's "big" stadium but now it's fallen further back in revenue.

I think your "Go to ACC" argument is the best situation - Football won't be King there because there are too few talent-bases and too many programs that want those, but at least a strong Basketball program can help Football recruiting maintain an even keel by BB's good publicity.

I don't think expansion has anything to do with the size of your stadium, instead it is the size of your TV market. Rutgers has been obsolete in sports forever, yet them and their 50,000 seat stadium join the likes of OSU, PSU, UM and so on. It was NJ/NY tv's that got them there. Cincinnati offers nothing to the Big 10, but we offer a new market of 3M tv's to either Big 12 or ACC. We can always use our pro stadium, Paul Brown Stadium that is 5 minutes from campus and it holds 67,000 and we have sold it out before.

I don't think expansion has anything to do with the size of your stadium, instead it is the size of your TV market. Rutgers has been obsolete in sports forever, yet them and their 50,000 seat stadium join the likes of OSU, PSU, UM and so on. It was NJ/NY tv's that got them there. Cincinnati offers nothing to the Big 10, but we offer a new market of 3M tv's to either Big 12 or ACC. We can always use our pro stadium, Paul Brown Stadium that is 5 minutes from campus and it holds 67,000 and we have sold it out before.

Hate to break it to you, but stadium size is very much in play. Most major conferences have a minimum average attendace requirement for their schools, and I think the Big 12 is pretty high as in about 35,000 average attendance required. That is a big reason why Colorado State is hoping to get enough donations to build a $250 M stadium because they know they just aren't an ideal target for an invite.

Klatt excoriated Bohn this morning. Said he has totally mismanaged this entire thing. I don't think you want to invite Bohn and Klatt to your Christmas party. JK argues that the money offer has been way too public, allowing BJ to use it for other offers. I get that criticism. But if, as expected, BJ comes here, I don't know how you can rip Bohn.

Another ting is that JK was in NY at the HOF thing. He got great reports about BJ but "everyone thinks CU is a joke." Screw you Joel.

Most do view CU as a joke. Embree's record is a big part of that. Joel can't see that we'd be an even bigger joke if we kept our 1-and-11 coach who set new records in both offensive and defensive futility.

Joel thinks people agree with him, because he's that uncomfortable guy in a social setting that corners you and blasts you with his agenda. Eventually you have to nod in agreement, just to escape the situation.

"Don't you think CU is a joke? Well it is because Bohn is an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing, right? Right? He should have never fired Barnett, he doesn't know how to handle himself on the big stage, right? He's making CU a joke, right?"

Frightened person nods. Joel concludes that the world thinks CU is a joke.

Another ting is that JK was in NY at the HOF thing. He got great reports about BJ but "everyone thinks CU is a joke." Screw you Joel.

I used to think CU took its football like a joke...until the Denver mediia showed me what a real joke they are. Talk about amatuer hour....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Hate to break it to you, but stadium size is very much in play. Most major conferences have a minimum average attendace requirement for their schools, and I think the Big 12 is pretty high as in about 35,000 average attendance required. That is a big reason why Colorado State is hoping to get enough donations to build a $250 M stadium because they know they just aren't an ideal target for an invite.

Interesting to hear. Well that would deem we need to expand Nippert or move our games no matter what this coaching outcome is!
Thanks for your insight.

Heads should roll at the Denver Post today. What a debacle this is. Really lost a lot of respect for Jones for stringing us along like this too.

Back