What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

I fear the search is narrow and too quick, this decision will affect the program for the next 3-5 years. There is no rush, expand the search to non head coaches.

Last edited:
I fear the search is narrow and too quick, this decision will affect the program for the next 3-5 years. There is no rush, expand the search to non head coaches.

While I don't want the search expanded to non head coaches. I am very nervous about this hire, should it happen. I just can't get past the fact that the big east is garbage. We are paying a lot of cash to this guy. I'm just nervous. I hope to god I am wrong.

If this guy is the next CU coach I would hate it 2.5 mill for someone that haven't proven anything ,its the Big East then he inherited a team that Brian Kelly left him.

Sounds like you would not happy with any hire unless it is Urban Meyer, Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher.

Would be happy with Notre dame Defensive Co-ordinator, Bob Diaco.

I would be fine with coordinator Diaco as well. But here is the argument for Jones over Diaco. Both coaches branch from the Brian Kelley coaching tree. Kelley is traditionally a defensive coach having been hired initially as a defensive back and defensive coordinator at Grand Valley State prior to becoming the HC and then moving on to Central Michigan. Now Jones branches from the offensive branch and Diaco from the defensive branch at CMU. Diaco has followed Kelley's success from CMU, Cincy and ND. Jones on the other hand after being Kelley's OC at CMU went to WVU to work with Rich Rod and Pat White. Following WVU Jones returned to CMU and maintained the standard Kelley had set and coached a pretty good QB in Dan LeFevour (set the all-time TD record until Keenum). Then Jones moved to Cincy and coached two more pretty good QBs in Pike and Collaros. Overall it is unfair to compare Diaco and Jones but Jones has been the more dynamic of the two. Experience is something that cannot be taught and that is a lesson we must take from the Embree era. Jones has a resume that shows he can be responsible with the head role of a college football program, where as Diaco would be an unknown.

Diaco is likely to be named the Boston College head coach. Also Diaco is a major risk as the guy is described not only as very hyper (which can be a worry for a head coach) but is a major odd duck apparently. He fits a profile of a defensive coordinator. None the less it seems really only Boston College (another Catholic school) was the only school desperate to go after him.

Would be happy with Notre dame Defensive Co-ordinator, Bob Diaco.

I don't know about Diaco. He's a young and obviously bright coordinator. But, is he head coach material? He won't be able to hide from the media once things get tough. After we got rid of the unrealistic options, I put Charlie Strong as my #1. Now that Strong's out, I'll cautiously put my support behind Butch.

But, why Diaco?

He is also the type of coach you’d never expect from someone that looks like Don Draper’s doppelganger. Diaco is a passionate coach, he runs a meeting room like a reverend from his pulpit, and the messages he relays aren’t just about the Xs and Os of football, but on lessons that his players will take with them throughout life.

After an overly candid interview with media after Notre Dame’s dispiriting loss to Navy, Diaco came off sounding like a coach that lacked answers — a very bad thing to sound like, especially at Notre Dame. From that point forward, Brian Kelly kept his coordinators off limits to the media, under the auspices that it’d help the do their job.It apparently worked.

“We’ll just be going to 11 on 11,” Fleming said before the Sun Bowl, “and then he’ll just bring up some kind of story that he feels relates to the topic. But we don’t. So we’ll just go along with it. Just like ‘yeah, yeah, that’s really good coach.’
“I mean, he’ll talk about turtles. He’ll talk about scorpions. I think he might have read a lot of books when he was younger or something like that. But he’s always got a story for something.”

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/08/10/the-zen-of-diaco/

He's been a coordinator for 4 years:

His defenses ranking in Total Defense:
2009 - 67th
2010 - 50th
2011 - 30th
2012 - 6th

Notre Dame's defense is great this year. What else do you like about him? Compare this to Charlie Strong's defenses at Louisville:

2010 - 14th
2011 - 23rd
2012 - 25th

The timing of a coaching search is very hit or miss. I think Colorado has actually looked at numerous guys and interviewed at least 1 other in Bronco. I think they have also contacted Gary Anderson and Charlie Strong. When you have a very specific criteria for the next head coach, not everybody is going to fit the bill.

All hires come with risk. This one is no different (assuming it happens)--it may or may not work out.

However, Bohn (presumably) hired a coach that has had success in an AQ conference. Yes, it's the Big East, and yes he followed Kelly. But seriously, people. Seriously?

There is no way we were going to get a coach with better pedigree than we did. We paid the right amount (whether he succeeds or fails, we can only pay based on what we know in the moment), and also, you ****ers should be jumping up and down and farting rubber nickels over what we're speculating to be our assistant coach salary.

To those who would rather have Diaco: What the **** has Diaco done as a head coach? Can't have it both ways.

And to you ****ers that are talking about wins and losses for next season. Who are we, CSU? Relax. Even at 2.75 million, we need not worry about wins and losses the first season. But we'd better see a much better football team for our investment. Then you guys can go all crazy with speculation for his second season.

There are really three HC candidates from the "Brian Kelly coaching tree": Butch Jones, Bob Diaco, and Chuck Martin

-Butch Jones has expanded beyond just Brian Kelly's style (as was perfectly noted by CUWhit21), has proven he can be successful as a HC over multiple years and with multiple teams.

-Bob Diaco (current Notre Dame Defensive Coordinator/assistant Head Coach) has a great defense this year at Notre Dame with a coaching staff loaded with defensive minds, he has no proof that he can be a successful HC (it looks like he'll get his fair shot this year, but it is a bigger gamble).

-Chuck Martin (current ND OC/QB/Recruiting Coordinator) has a background as a defensive coach but made the switch to OC/QB coach this season and has managed to turn what was their biggest weakness into an effective offensive unit.

Of the three Butch Jones is the most ready to take over a big-time program, but I think Chuck Martin will be the best HC out of them all. I've followed him for several years and I wouldn't be surprised if Cincy offered him the HC job to replace Butch Jones (it would be a smart move on their part), but he might have to take a MAC job for his first HC position in D-1. Diaco just seems to fit that same M.O. of "hot coordinator" that goes bad because they aren't HC material, but are great coordinators.

Last edited:
So you'd be willing to throw this recruiting season away and go to an even bigger gamble with someone who has never been an HC? To me, Jones fits the ideal that the University of Colorado seems to have. A guy who is a great motivator with a high priority on academics. From all I can see right now, he is the best choice out there and probably the smallest gamble.

dbt....agree, i think at "worse" jones will have cu tackling, hustling, and disciplined..and more competitive

If it is Jones, my baseline expectation for next season is four wins. If he is going to be the highest paid coach in program history (by a good margin), I expect to see tangible improvement next season.

If it is Jones, my baseline expectation for next season is four wins. If he is going to be the highest paid coach in program history (by a good margin), I expect to see tangible improvement next season.
I think that is fair - if only because I expect him to get better QB play (significantly), one way or another.

So, at this point (7:28 Mountain Time), I learn the following from Twitter.

UCin made a big counter-offer to CU's offer of yesterday. Per the Twits, Butch is now "conflicted." Another Tweet says that Butch used the whole CU/Perdue thing to leverage UCin to bump up his contract there, and that he never had real interest.

As of yet, no team meeting has been scheduled prior to his 11 am (Mountain Time) press conference with UCin to discuss their bowl game.

Butch may be trying to drum up business from the SEC.

Were I a betting man (and I'm not), I would go with Stays at UCin (-4).

Is this Butch jones worth 2.5+? Central michigan and the bearcats? Really?

Either bohn didn't sell CU or he's going back to tell the team.

If this is the best guy bohn could get, he's already o for 3 in football hires, especially at 2.5 mil a year.

CU's in a position that they pretty much have to overpay by at least a little bit.

If he's the right coach, the extra half million we pay is chump change.

Last edited:

At one time Coach Mac was the highest paid coach in college football, so I think the "highest paid coach in program history" requires and asterick saying "but middle of the Pac in contemporary coaching dollars".

Also, regarding wins and losses. I'll stand by my previous point: Our team was so bad this year, a coach could show incredible improvement ($2.75 million in improvements) that would not necessarily result in wins just yet. We were that bad.

Go read some of the Cinci bearcat posters.... about half/half wanting him to stay or leave...I don't have the paid subscription so I can only read about half of those post

Back