What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

Jones was at CMU for years before Kelly arrived at CMU. The argument could be made that Kelly won with Jones' players not the other way around.

CU hasn't played good on offense for so long because we haven't had a very good QB for so long. Anyone recall the name Munchie Legaux? Legaux was Jones' starting QB this season...wasn't he a CU commit at one time?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/502335/munchie-legaux

Given that CU was running the no huddle offense this recent season, the transition to Jones' offense wouldn't be that great plus Jones can make the necessary changes to get CU's offense pointed in the right direction. CMU and Cinncinnati's ADs have had funding problems and Jones didn't use that as an excuse to field crappy teams. If CU gets the facilities built, that will be a first for Jones so the sky's the limit.

Didn't we run the no-huddle for like one half vs CSU then completely bail on it? I doubt that qualifies as having run a similar offense recently.

Jimmy, I think that's a pretty slanted case you are making there. You've smoothed over a few details to make a specific case.

Like what? I was against Jones before Jimmy's post and that was some pretty compelling data.

i'll be very disappointed if this is the best we can do.

FWIW - Patr from Buffstampede said he was a great recruiter, which I had a gut feeling was not true. So I did some research and he has 1 four star recruit in his last 3 classes (according to rivals). I added that to my original post as well.

There's still a strong rumor out there that Purdue has offered him the job...I think he would choose Purdue over CU...

FWIW - Patr from Buffstampede said he was a great recruiter, which I had a gut feeling was not true. So I did some research and he has 1 four star recruit in his last 3 classes (according to rivals). I added that to my original post as well.

So you are saying that Ohio kids should have picked Cinncinnati over Big Ten schools? Thanks for the laugh!

Nash Buff - Last time I checked when you inherit a top 5 program, you usually are able to sign some 4 star recruits, no matter what part of country you are in. Especially at a BCS school.

There's still a strong rumor out there that Purdue has offered him the job...I think he would choose Purdue over CU...

Have you been to Purdue?!? Seriously, I'm not being a homer and thinking that everyone wants to go to CU, but Purdue is a ****hole. I spent the longest year of my life there, and I was only there for 3 days. God, I don't think there's anywhere I'd pick Purdue over in the United States.

Butch Jones resume:

In 15yrs as an assistant coach he only spent 1 yrs at a BCS school as a WR coach.
Both head coaching jobs he inherited teams left by Brian Kelly.
Never had to build a program himself.He inherited a team in Cinci that under Brian Kelly went 10-3, 11-3, 12-0.
Butch Jones takes over and goes 4-8, 10-3, 8-3.
Brian Kelly had Cinci ranked in top 20 all 3yrs. Butch Jones has never had Cinci ranked in top20.
Also, many analysts claim he needs a specific type of QB (think Tebow) to have Offensive success.
In his career as HC he has beaten 1 ranked team #25 Va Tech earlier this year.
Never coached west of Cinci & has no PAC-12 ties.
1 Four star recruit in last 3 classes.

In short. He would be a disaster most likely.

Cincinnati was ranked at the end of last year. #21, so that makes me understand why you didn't say Top 25. You're presenting just one side of the data, Jimmy, in order to make your case. That's fine, but there is another side to it. The guy has been a winner wherever he's been, he has worked for some great offensive minds and developed an interesting hybrid offense (pro style passing concepts with spread running), his defenses perform much better than what you see with other spread teams, and he has recruited statistically better for Cincinnati than Kelly did.

Regarding the opening 4-8 season, many would argue that Kelly knew it was time to get out of Dodge because of the huge senior class he was losing. Turning over the roster and losing both Kelly and Diaco from the staff is a lot for a team to overcome. I'm impressed that they rebounded to 10-3 the next year and may repeat that record this year.

I haven't seen anything questioning the guy except from fans who are playing amateur AD.

Regardless of who is hired, I'll fully support our next HC until I'm given reason not to. Expect the early sunshine pumping from me. That's how I've been with every CU HC and the next one will get the same.

Nash Buff - Last time I checked when you inherit a top 5 program, you usually are able to sign some 4 star recruits, no matter what part of country you are in. Especially at a BCS school.

I don't think Ohio kids and highly sought kids are dumb enough to realize that the Big East isn't going to able to retain its BCS label. The MWC has done more to deserve a BCS bid than the Big East.

I live in Ohio and I think that Butch Jones would be a fantastic hire for CU. My only concern would be recruiting CA & TX, as he has mostly just recruited in OH

We also have to rebuild CO recruiting after our last 2 coaches.

I would hope that Bohn doesn't hire anyone who didn't have a coaching staff & recruiting plan that made sense for CU.

Have you been to Purdue?!? Seriously, I'm not being a homer and thinking that everyone wants to go to CU, but Purdue is a ****hole. I spent the longest year of my life there, and I was only there for 3 days. God, I don't think there's anywhere I'd pick Purdue over in the United States.

I haven't, but it would make sense that he would want to stay in the midwest since he's a born-and-bred midwesterner...given that he played and coached at Ferris State in exciting Big Rapids, MI, and coached at CMU in the exciting hamlet of Mount Pleasant, MI, I can't imagine that from a quality of life standpoint, West Lafayette is that much worse or different from those places...

Responding to Jwood's points:
Jones was at Cmichigan before Kelly.
At Cinci, Kelly went out with a giant senior class that dominated the 2 deep (not a lot of experienced talent behind them)- Jones had to rebuild almost completely (few pieces excepted). Jones went 4-8, and then got 10 wins, and seems to be on his way to 9 or 10 again.

And at Central Michigan, year 3 was his best year. He's not winning with teams dominated by Kelly's guys - He's winning with both coach's guys. And his teams tend to get better or at the worst maintain performance, THREE YEARS out from when the last guy left. In general, cracks appear in year three as the upperclassmen from the last coach leave. See: Larry Coker, rick neuheisel, etc.

Just saying, you skipped all the GOOD facts in making your argument. One more point: The Cincy AD has a great eye for coaching talent. He's picked Dantonio, Kelly, and now Jones. I think we can trust him.

Last edited:
I had to lol at the QB comment. His QB is Munchie Legeuax. He is about as bad as Jordan Webb, albeit more of a dual theat

Not a fan. If Bohn has limited himself to current head coaches, he has shrunk the pool of candidates for little reason IMO.

Responding to Jwood's points:
Jones was at Cmichigan before Kelly.
At Cinci, Kelly went out with a giant senior class that dominated the 2 deep (not a lot of experienced talent behind them)- Jones had to rebuild almost completely (few pieces excepted). Jones went 4-8, and then got 10 wins, and seems to be on his way to 9 or 10 again.

And at Central Michigan, year 3 was his best year. He's not winning with teams dominated by Kelly's guys - He's winning with both coach's guys. And his teams tend to get better or at the worst maintain performance, THREE YEARS out from when the last guy left. In general, cracks appear in year three as the upperclassmen from the last coach leave. See: Larry Coker, rick neuheisel, etc.

Just saying, you skipped all the GOOD facts in making your argument.

Even with those points, which are valid, I'm just having a hard time getting fired up about this guy. Maybe he'll grow on me.

Buffnik - Brian Kelly did at those programs the hardest part - He changed the culture to winning. That is the hardest part of any job. You can't say Butch Jones did that. Claiming Butch Jones was reason for success at CMU is absurd at best. Please use numbers in your arguments guys. Look at facts. I hate all this I think stuff. He was at CMU from 1998-2004 in some capacity.

(TE) 1998 - 6-5
(RB) 1999 - 4-7
(RB) 2000 - 2-9
(RB) 2001 - 3-8
(OC) 2002 - 4-8
(OC) 2003 - 3-9
(OC) 2004 - 4-7

He leaves CMU and they go 6-5 then 9-4.

I have to disregard the "only 1 four star" argument as a reason not to hire him.

Looking back at Kelly's tenure, it is almost identical in terms of recruits at Cinncinnati. Over three years, three or four four stars, many, many more two starts than we ever had, and the remainder were three stars.

I think what is clear is that Kelly, and I believe Jones, have the ability to coach up 2 and 3 start kids, which is primarily what we are recruiting right now.

My major concern with Jones is recruiting base. He just doesnt recruit west of Iowa, and his name is not known enough to carry any weight in Colorado, Texas, Cali, Pacific Northwest, or Hawaii. Unless he hired some coaches with strong ties in these areas, I think we will end up back to where we were with Hawkins in Texas (basically shut out), with Hawkins and Embree in Colorado (lost the top kids), and even worse than we have ever been in Cali.

So, if you hire Jones, please make sure he brings some guys in who can recruit and are well known in Tx, Cali, Co.

Nash Buff - Yep he left an OC job to take a WR job. Can't speculate as to why he left, but OC to WR is step down.

Reed says we have received permission to interview him and want to schedule an interview for Monday in Boulder.

Hmmmm. Moving from OC at CMU to WR at WVU, a BCS school was a step back? Looks to me like career progression and an investment in learning from a one of the leading minds on the Spread. Yea, bad move. Really?

Has anyone forgotten about a small RB that we got out of Ohio...didn't his nickname happen to be Speedy? We would be able to get enough coaches to recruit CA & TX and if the wins come, Jones will be able to recruit in those two states.

Jones clearly showed that he can coach with 2* and 3* type talent.

Hmmmm. Moving from OC at CMU to WR at WVU, a BCS school was a step back? Looks to me like career progression and an investment in learning from a one of the leading minds on the Spread. Yea, bad move. Really?

It is not a good move or a bad move. Hard to spin it as a a justification for why he should be the HC at CU though.

Has anyone forgotten about a small RB that we got out of Ohio...didn't his nickname happen to be Speedy? We would be able to get enough coaches to recruit CA & TX and if the wins come, Jones will be able to recruit in those two states.

Jones clearly showed that he can coach with 2* and 3* type talent.

Waiting for the wins to recruit CA, CO, and TX effectively is a bad strategy.

Not a fan. If Bohn has limited himself to current head coaches, he has shrunk the pool of candidates for little reason IMO.

My feelings as well. There's no set search criteria that spells success. Just need to find the best coach and best fit for CU.

Back