What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

Not all that hyped about Jones. Won @ Central Michigan and Cincinnati, but both times he was following Kelly, who obviously can build a program. Sounds a little Hawk-like to me.

Thought about your post Alfred so I checked the Purdue Rivals site to see why that fan group liked Jones and found this recruiting post:

Dantonio:
2004 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (17)
2005 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (24)
2006 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (17)

Kelly:
2007 4-Star (0) 3-Star (6) 2-Star (16)
2008 4-Star (0) 3-Star (6) 2-Star (18)
2009 4-Star (2) 3-Star (8) 2-Star (15)

Jones:
2010 4-Star (2) 3-Star (10) 2-Star (11)
2011 4-Star (1) 3-Star (20) 2-Star (2)
2012 4-Star (0) 3-Star (25) 2-Star (4)
2013 4-Star (0) 3-Star (11) 2-Star (2)

Hope it is okay to post this as it is from a free site.

Thought about your post Alfred so I checked the Purdue Rivals site to see why that fan group liked Jones and found this recruiting post:

Dantonio:
2004 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (17)
2005 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (24)
2006 4-Star (0) 3-Star (1) 2-Star (17)

Kelly:
2007 4-Star (0) 3-Star (6) 2-Star (16)
2008 4-Star (0) 3-Star (6) 2-Star (18)
2009 4-Star (2) 3-Star (8) 2-Star (15)

Jones:
2010 4-Star (2) 3-Star (10) 2-Star (11)
2011 4-Star (1) 3-Star (20) 2-Star (2)
2012 4-Star (0) 3-Star (25) 2-Star (4)
2013 4-Star (0) 3-Star (11) 2-Star (2)

Hope it is okay to post this as it is from a free site.
To pile on:

Cincinatti Recruiting since 2007 according to rivals:
2007: 89
2008: 67
2009: 60
2010: 59
2011: 49
2012: 50
2013: (so far) 50

Dude. he's better than BK. :lol:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...k/2012/all/all

Yeah those recruiting numbers blew away Norte Dame when they were considering Kelly for the gig. :rolling_eyes:

It is not a good move or a bad move. Hard to spin it as a a justification for why he should be the HC at CU though.

Yeah. That's one of those things that you really don't know about unless you're involved in the vetting and interview process. It's a question I would ask, for sure. But as far as we know Kelly told him that if he wanted to get on a HC track he needed to get out from his shadow for a year. Or maybe WVU offered more money and made promises it didn't keep. Or maybe Kelly ran him out of town. We just can't answer that here.

To pile on:

Cincinatti Recruiting since 2007 according to rivals:
2007: 89
2008: 67
2009: 60
2010: 59
2011: 49
2012: 50
2013: (so far) 50

Dude. he's better than BK. :lol:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...k/2012/all/all

Not saying I don't want Butch, but recruiting comes with momentum and program success just as much as wins do. You could make the argument that Butch recruits well because Kelly won and recruited well.

I like a bunch of other guys (Diaco, MacIntyre, et al.) for the job more, so - knowing how CU football treats me - I'd like to introduce you to our new head football coach Butch Jones!

yup it does. But you can't automatically dismiss him as a bad recruiter because of those rankings because he's in Cincinatti.

I'm sure Brain Kelly sucks at recruiting for Norte Dame. :rolling_eyes:

Jones will be able to recruit better at CU than in Cinncinnati and once the facilities get built, Jones will have to turn away 3* recruits because the inn is full of 4* and 5* recruits.

Plus how is that Big East TV media contract renegogation going these days? Pac-12 Network is a nice thing to have for the Buffs.

I'm not against Jones by no means. Just was hoping for someone with recruiting ties to the west coast and Rockies. He is a good coach but it will be interesting if he gets some recruiters on staff that know our base.

butch jones would be fine by me! i just want kids that can run, throw, tackle and want to compete!

Developing players is more important than recruiting. The initial boost off a new hire doesn't last long, you need to help the players in house already. If you make those guys better, momentum builds and you will win. Winning is the best recruiting tool you can have. someone said Jones is a coach who will win and do it the right way. that is a very good combo to have. Because a coach that comes in and cuts corners will get found out and will get sanctions that will likely lower the team again.

Every thing I read about Jones "doing it right," has me really worried that we're about to follow in the footsteps of Maryland with Edsall.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...tered-waters/2012/02/16/gIQArzdAIR_story.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...gone-worse/2011/10/30/gIQAO7a2VM_story_1.html

There's nothing specific about any of it, and I "know" that Jones wouldn't be like that (which would go over about as well at CU as Edsall's stuff has gone over at MD), it's just this eerie feeling I get whenever I read the stuff hyping Jones "doing it the right way."

Developing players is more important than recruiting. The initial boost off a new hire doesn't last long, you need to help the players in house already. If you make those guys better, momentum builds and you will win. Winning is the best recruiting tool you can have. someone said Jones is a coach who will win and do it the right way. that is a very good combo to have. Because a coach that comes in and cuts corners will get found out and will get sanctions that will likely lower the team again.

Oregon, USC, and Ohio State disagree with your last point.

Bruce Feldman (well-respected writer at CBS, previously at ESPN) wrote this article "10 Most Intriguing Coaching Names" (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...hes-to-keep-an-eye-on-during-silly-season/rss).

In summary, his top three are Petrino, Strong, and JONES. Other rumored CU candidates to make the list were Dykes (6), DeRuyter (8), MacIntyre (10). Just missing the cut were Doeren, Malzahn, and Stitt.

The brief write-up on Jones reads "The 44-year-old has already spent six seasons as a head coach and has a 49-27 career record. Jones has some charisma, and it's not hard to see him handling a bigger job. Is Purdue big enough, or could he land Tennessee or Arkansas?".

So, while some on this board are doubting his resume and describing him as "underwhelming", at least one mainstream national writer would view this as a solid, if not "splash", hire. Especially with Kelly preparing for the BCS title game at ND for the next 5 weeks, this hire may indeed help the CU brand nationally, which we know is weighing on Bohn's mind. Obviously, this all means nothing if he's not the right fit......

Interesting. Jones seems to be nationally respected within coaching and media circles.

Thanks for posting, Rob.

Why did you wait for 2 years, though? :lol:

Unless I am mistaken, Butch Jones has zero record of building or rebuilding a program. Taking over a program built by Brian Kelly has a lower degree of difficulty that the job facing the next CU coach.

Unless I am mistaken, Butch Jones has zero record of building or rebuilding a program. Taking over a program built by Brian Kelly has a lower degree of difficulty that the job facing the next CU coach.

Kelly didn't build Cincy up...the current Michigan State coach did.

If we had the facilities in the process of being built now, CU would clearly be the better job than Purdue.

Cincinnati sports radio guy tweeting Jones to Purdue - can't find any other confirmation as of yet...

Andy Furman ‏@AndyFurmanFSR Purdue will announce Butch Jones as their new football coach as early as Sunday, sources tell me.

I bet you Purdue threw in a nice increase from their original offer when they heard that Colorado wanted to interview Jones to close the deal.

Personally, I would choose Colorado over Purdue. Purdue has a pretty low ceiling being in a conference with Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, not to mention the next level of schools (Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois). What do they all have in common? They are major state Universities.

Last edited:
Back