What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

I bet you Purdue threw in a nice increase from their original offer when they heard that Colorado wanted to interview Jones to close the deal.

That Pac-12 Network is making a huge difference for CU. We just need to build the facilities and getting the best coaches will be much easier.

Interesting. Jones seems to be nationally respected within coaching and media circles.

Thanks for posting, Rob.

Why did you wait for 2 years, though? :lol:

He's the AD's version of Mr. Wolf. They only break him out for the hardest spin assignments.

Good post Rob.

I am longtime lurker and first time poster here and am a big fan of bringing in Butch Jones.

On Sept 6th, I was stuck chaperoning my Wife and daughter shopping at Cherry Creek mall. As ever in such a situation I find myself after 10 minutes thinking, "How did I get talked into this?" My savior the Cinci Pitt game on at the time. What first grabbed my attention was the Bearcats QB Munchie Legaux who was a top target of ours in 2010. As I watched Munchie, pass and run all over Pitt I thought DAMN we really missed out this guy. Keep in mind I was in the dumps as I had just watched our Buffs lose to CSU. Not just CSU, the worst CSU team I have seen in years. A CSU team that should have been stomped instead walked off the field with a W. So I dreamed what it would be like to have Munchie at the helm. Then I remembered how awful our special teams was, how awful our play calling was, how awful our defensive schemes were, how undisciplined we looked, how confused we looked. I remembered how CSU made adjustments in the 2nd half that totally shut down what limited offense we had. I realized that we did not need Munchie, we needed Butch. Butch coaches against CSU - We crush them completely.

I watched Cinci the rest of the year when their games were available, Butch is a great coach. This year's Cinci team is not any more talented CU's but they were very fun too watch. I would put them up there with West Virginia as just a fun, disciplined, high energy football team that goes out and competes everyday. Butch has both the big personality to motivate players and recruit as well as the xs and os general on the sideline. He has the aura of a commander on the sideline, as he plays chess against the other coach. He NEVER looks confused. He NEVER says I don't know. He commands and commands to win.

He does this at Cincinnati? Have you been there? I have had the unfortunate luck to have been born with family there. I go there all the freaking time its AWFUL. He is not running that program with 5 star recruits. It is a 2 star 3 star team with a system and strategy that win. As for people who claim that the BE is far below the Pac12. I am not so certain. The Pac to me is seen as an overinflated juggernaut due to our poor coaching. This may shock people but we may not have won one game in BE this year. Cinci for one would have blown us out.

I bet you Purdue threw in a nice increase from their original offer when they heard that Colorado wanted to interview Jones to close the deal.

Personally, I would choose Colorado over Purdue. Purdue has a pretty low ceiling being in a conference with Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, not to mention the next level of schools (Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois). What do they all have in common? They are major state Universities.

It's not too hard to argue CU is in a tough spot going against USC, Oregon, Stanford and UCLA, along with the 2nd tier PAC-12 schools.

Our best choice at this stage is Justin Wilcox DC at Washington. Good young DC, the guy has ambition. Jones choosing Purdue over CU is not good. Looks like most coaches view the job has a tough job, and the administration will not give them time to build a program. To make things worse, our facilities and admission standards don't make it attractive for recruits.

Our best choice at this stage is Justin Wilcox DC at Washington. Good young DC, the guy has ambition. Jones choosing Purdue over CU is not good. Looks like most coaches view the job has a tough job, and the administration will not give them time to build a program. To make things worse, our facilities and admission standards don't make it attractive for recruits.

Poor Duff.

For two years I've been afraid that my first post would lead to 36,000 more, three new jobs, and at least one divorce. Guess I'm finally willing to go down that path.
But seriously, really appreciate all the time you guys put into the site. You should be proud of your efforts and know that they DO make a difference. I am convinced that Allbuffs helped spur the coaching change (an unfortunate but necessary move for the program), and I'm further optimistic that grassroots efforts like yours will eventually deserve (and receive) some credit for restoring pride (and wins) to our great program. Congrats, and keep up the fantastic work.
As for your next open letter, please address to Mr. Al Golden. Start writing, lay it on thick.

For two years I've been afraid that my first post would lead to 36,000 more, three new jobs, and at least one divorce. Guess I'm finally willing to go down that path.
But seriously, really appreciate all the time you guys put into the site. You should be proud of your efforts and know that they DO make a difference. I am convinced that Allbuffs helped spur the coaching change (an unfortunate but necessary move for the program), and I'm further optimistic that grassroots efforts like yours will eventually deserve (and receive) some credit for restoring pride (and wins) to our great program. Congrats, and keep up the fantastic work.
As for your next open letter, please address to Mr. Al Golden. Start writing, lay it on thick.

It's true, your first post on Allbuffs is essentially an admission that you're ready for divorce.

I am longtime lurker and first time poster here and am a big fan of bringing in Butch Jones.

On Sept 6th, I was stuck chaperoning my Wife and daughter shopping at Cherry Creek mall. As ever in such a situation I find myself after 10 minutes thinking, "How did I get talked into this?" My savior the Cinci Pitt game on at the time. What first grabbed my attention was the Bearcats QB Munchie Legaux who was a top target of ours in 2010. As I watched Munchie, pass and run all over Pitt I thought DAMN we really missed out this guy. Keep in mind I was in the dumps as I had just watched our Buffs lose to CSU. Not just CSU, the worst CSU team I have seen in years. A CSU team that should have been stomped instead walked off the field with a W. So I dreamed what it would be like to have Munchie at the helm. Then I remembered how awful our special teams was, how awful our play calling was, how awful our defensive schemes were, how undisciplined we looked, how confused we looked. I remembered how CSU made adjustments in the 2nd half that totally shut down what limited offense we had. I realized that we did not need Munchie, we needed Butch. Butch coaches against CSU - We crush them completely.

I watched Cinci the rest of the year when their games were available, Butch is a great coach. This year's Cinci team is not any more talented CU's but they were very fun too watch. I would put them up there with West Virginia as just a fun, disciplined, high energy football team that goes out and competes everyday. Butch has both the big personality to motivate players and recruit as well as the xs and os general on the sideline. He has the aura of a commander on the sideline, as he plays chess against the other coach. He NEVER looks confused. He NEVER says I don't know. He commands and commands to win.

He does this at Cincinnati? Have you been there? I have had the unfortunate luck to have been born with family there. I go there all the freaking time its AWFUL. He is not running that program with 5 star recruits. It is a 2 star 3 star team with a system and strategy that win. As for people who claim that the BE is far below the Pac12. I am not so certain. The Pac to me is seen as an overinflated juggernaut due to our poor coaching. This may shock people but we may not have won one game in BE this year. Cinci for one would have blown us out.

I suspect this is less shocking to most of us than you might think... :huh:

Welcome, and very good first post! I am interested in your thought that Cincy is fun to watch, because I have felt exactly the opposite. I find their games almost unwatchable. Not necessarily a knock against Jones, since I had some of the same feeling when Kelly was there. Different strokes, different folks, I guess....

I did try to watch them some to follow Munchie. Between the name and his inexplicable decision to reject the unicorn we offered him and bolt for Cincy, he was a lost recruit I was also interested in seeing how he would develop. He did drop off after that great start to the season, but I do have to agree that he would be an upgrade over what we were able to put on the field this year...

Ok, so ... according to a radio talk host in Cincy he´s taken the Purdue job and is gonna be announced on Monday ... however, the editor of a Michigan State magazine, who claims to be a friend, says he hasn´t accepted and wouldn´t do anything until after the season. Reed Marks says he´ll meet with Purdue on Sunday, one day before he´s supposed to be in Boulder.

It's not too hard to argue CU is in a tough spot going against USC, Oregon, Stanford and UCLA, along with the 2nd tier PAC-12 schools.

Big picture, Colorado is fine against those institutions. Too many people are stuck with the narrow blinders on. Colorado has a very high ceiling as demonstrated time and again over the decades. USC is really the only school that we have not had success at.

Personally, I would choose Colorado over Purdue. Purdue has a pretty low ceiling being in a conference with Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, not to mention the next level of schools (Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois). What do they all have in common? They are major state Universities.

Purdue has the ugliest campus I've ever seen for a major university. When I was there I kept thinking how dull the town looked and felt.

i agree CU has a higher ceiling than Purdue. When Hawk was here he got the number one RB in the nation and he hasn't dobe anything yet. Toucan get good recruits here, but you need a good coach first.

Last edited:
Purdue has the ugliest campus I've ever seen for a major university. When I was there I kept thinking how dull the town looked and felt.

i agree CU has a higher ceiling than Purdue. When Hawk was here he got the number one RB in the nation and he hasn't dobe anything yet. Toucan get good recruits here, but you need a good coach first.

I agree 100% Toucan's have never not proven they aren't the worst recruiters evaaarrr!

images

It amuses me to end that you ****s think you know what your talking about when serious professionals with legions of staff with years in the industry can't get it right. But, whatevs... :tini:

It amuses me to end that you ****s think you know what your talking about when serious professionals with legions of staff with years in the industry can't get it right. But, whatevs... :tini:

What did you expect? It is a message board, not a board room.

I suspect this is less shocking to most of us than you might think... :huh:

Welcome, and very good first post! I am interested in your thought that Cincy is fun to watch, because I have felt exactly the opposite. I find their games almost unwatchable. Not necessarily a knock against Jones, since I had some of the same feeling when Kelly was there. Different strokes, different folks, I guess....

I did try to watch them some to follow Munchie. Between the name and his inexplicable decision to reject the unicorn we offered him and bolt for Cincy, he was a lost recruit I was also interested in seeing how he would develop. He did drop off after that great start to the season, but I do have to agree that he would be an upgrade over what we were able to put on the field this year...

Cinci was definitely not the best team. To me they were a bit like the island of misfit toys, that were duck taped together into an effective football team. They are gritty group of kids that went out and played disciplined football. They did not whine about not having top talent, coaches or facilities they just went out and competed. I found that very enduring. We take the guy that is able to do that with our current roster, and I believe good things will happen.

We should be able to beat Purdue for this guy. Embree left us with a better stable of players than most outsiders see. The grey shirt crew, Paul Richardson, and a committee of QBs. There is a ton of Buff-fire power that did not hit the field this year. Frankly, the weapons that were used this year were mostly miss used. We put these guys in the right scheme and good things will happen. We will not be at the Top of the Pac next year but we can certainly be competitive.

QUOTE]

I know all of us who went to Boulder get why it's a special place, but to think that the vast majority of football people are even remotely swayed or impressed with the Flatirons or the laid back atmosphere is absurd. Football players and coaches live in a bubble. They spend 90% of their waking hours at the athletic facilities (and hopefully class.) Boulder's "coolness" is actually a detriment, because it distracts the student body from football. I've always said that if Boulder was 30 minutes further away from Denver, we'd draw 20k at most.

Cinci was definitely not the best team. To me they were a bit like the island of misfit toys, that were duck taped together into an effective football team. They are gritty group of kids that went out and played disciplined football. They did not whine about not having top talent, coaches or facilities they just went out and competed. I found that very enduring. We take the guy that is able to do that with our current roster, and I believe good things will happen.

We should be able to beat Purdue for this guy. Embree left us with a better stable of players than most outsiders see. The grey shirt crew, Paul Richardson, and a committee of QBs. There is a ton of Buff-fire power that did not hit the field this year. Frankly, the weapons that were used this year were mostly miss used. We put these guys in the right scheme and good things will happen. We will not be at the Top of the Pac next year but we can certainly be competitive.
that part is dead-on. How many fly routes were directed to the slowest receiver on the field? How many plays were designed for the players we wished we had, instead of the players we have? There were so many times when I yelled at the television, saying essentially "great play call, but you used the wrong ****ing guys for that play!"

QUOTE]

I know all of us who went to Boulder get why it's a special place, but to think that the vast majority of football people are even remotely swayed or impressed with the Flatirons or the laid back atmosphere is absurd. Football players and coaches live in a bubble. They spend 90% of their waking hours at the athletic facilities (and hopefully class.) Boulder's "coolness" is actually a detriment, because it distracts the student body from football. I've always said that if Boulder was 30 minutes further away from Denver, we'd draw 20k at most.
I see you missed the part about raising a family...

You've been really offbase today

Funny, I remember when Folsom was packed like a can of sardines. Boulder was still cool. We just had a football that competed every week.

I guess we could also follow the elder Luck's at WV example and bring back beer.

Back