What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

C-Unit Reunion At The Sink A Success

RSSBot

News Junkie
Category: Men's Basketball

It has been over a month since Colorado Basketball clinched its first PAC-12 championship and the 50 students that traveled to Los Angeles are still going strong. The 50 C-Unit members plus the athletic department staff and guests gathered at The Sink around some pizza and reminisced on the historic journey the whole group embarked on back in March.

Originally posted by CUBuffs.com
Click here to view the article.

Ashton Horowitz, a junior integrative physiology major, who was only one of five girls in the OG 50, said, “I really appreciated Tad coming and taking the time to thank us. It was really nice to know that we actually do make a difference for the team.”

^^^Interesting that they refer to her as a girl, not woman.

Ashton Horowitz, a junior integrative physiology major, who was only one of five girls in the OG 50, said, “I really appreciated Tad coming and taking the time to thank us. It was really nice to know that we actually do make a difference for the team.”

^^^Interesting that they refer to her as a girl, not woman.

At which point in life does it switch? And does it also depend on the person using the term?

At which point in life does it switch? And does it also depend on the person using the term?

I generally use boy/girl through high school and man/woman after that.

That said, I still think of college students as "kids"... especially when they're under 21.

I generally use boy/girl through high school and man/woman after that.

That said, I still think of college students as "kids"... especially when they're under 21.

I know we had a thread on this a couple years ago. Can't remember what position I took, but I find it to be very circumstantial. I agree with Daaah in this case that the writer of the article should have used "woman" to describe the girl. The author is:
Jariya Phanpaktra, Student Assistant SID
I am going to guess that is a woman's name, and can assume she is of college age, so I find it less weird, but she still should have used "woman" in the professional setting of a news story. If just talking to friends or peers in an informal setting, the use of "girl" would not be strange at all.

EDIT: Not going to fix the formatting, just want to complain about it. Damn formatting!!

Last edited:
I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is put out by the university so it should be correct and I think it's fair to call it out. I admittedly do not follow the women's team, but it's not the girl's basketball team, it's the women's basketball team. The people in the student section are the same age as the people playing. If you're old enough to vote or join the military, you're old enough to be referred to as an adult in a university press release imo.

Back