What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal football: Grading the Week

RSSBot

News Junkie
Jon Wilner

* Schedule note: If you haven’t heard/read:*Big Game starts at 1 p.m. on Fox Sports 1 … That was a bad, bad loss for the Bears but an even worse loss for athletic director Sandy Barbour for reasons I outlined last week on the Hotline and in more condensed form*in the Mercury News and Bay [...]

Originally posted by College Hotline
Click here to view the article.

To LiverFlukes:
That is a very bad Cal team and do NOT listen to the youth excuses or injury excuses (I doubt you are). We made those same excuses for years. Sonny Dykes doesn't know enough about defense or special teams to be a head coach. Good head coaches no more than one side of the ball.

The announcers on the PAC12 were throwing around this stat: 17 of their two-deep are manned by Sophomores and Freshman.

Well, they were getting their arses kicked by Colorado who counts 21 of their two-deep as Sophomores and Freshman according to the current depth chart.

Either your coaches suck or recruiting rankings are not fool proof, according to this factoid (data according to Rivals.com):
Last 4 years, Cal's classes average rank = 21
Last 4 years, CU's classes average rank = 67

When one first year coach is so out-coached by another first year coach, who clearly has less to work with, it's a very clear sign. Cal should cut losses quickly on Sonny.

BearInsider was fully debating how soon they can fire this guy. Basically zero support from the hardcore fanbase. The consensus is the hope that both the AD and Dykes get the ax at the end of next season. Sounds eerily similar to Embree/Bohn.

BearInsider was fully debating how soon they can fire this guy. Basically zero support from the hardcore fanbase. The consensus is the hope that both the AD and Dykes get the ax at the end of next season. Sounds eerily similar to Embree/Bohn.
Only one program I know of (Southern Miss) has fired a non-interim coach after one season excluding NCAA violation and moral reasons. I wouldn't count on it, plus they've had more success with this current AD than Bohn had. That said, I think it will be more like our situation in that I don't see Dykes going but could see Barbour.

Cal could find it hard to find a good coach this year. With USC and probably Texas looking for new coaches out West, the cream will be skimmed off the top. Next year might be better for them. Plus, its pretty unusual to fire a guy after one year. OU did it with Schnellenberger, but its uncommon.

That said, Dykes should be doing better than he is.

I look at Dykes and see more of Dan Hawkins than Embree, DON'T FALL FOR IT.

He's doing the same self-serving bull-**** that Dan did, he's putting up the walls, he's clueless. If he doesnt/wont fire his buddies you'll know all you need to know, and you'll know it quickly. He might get a little better next ear and the year after that but in a few years you'll be staring at a guy who's never won anything, who's stubborn, has alienated fans and basically run your program into the ground.

The similarities between this situation and ours with Dan are uncanny, if you leave him around too long you'll be i deep ****, then you'll do something really desperate like hire in the family.

Cal could find it hard to find a good coach this year. With USC and probably Texas looking for new coaches out West, the cream will be skimmed off the top. Next year might be better for them. Plus, its pretty unusual to fire a guy after one year. OU did it with Schnellenberger, but its uncommon.

That said, Dykes should be doing better than he is.
Thought he quit?

Back