What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal takes its football seriously enough - Jeff Tedford fired

With Tedford getting fired, what are the odds we try to get Austin Hinder? We almost had him a few years ago. 4*, Elite 11 guy, Steamboat Springs.

Kudos to Cal.

Forget sentiment about what Tedford did for Cal. He already got paid for that and he's getting $7 million more as a "thank you".

This is about what the football program is going to achieve going forward and what impact the coach has on wins/losses, recruiting, fan/booster support, and as the single most powerful marketing arm for the university in general.

Despite her waffling, Cal's AD has bigger balls than anyone in CU's administration.

We need a draft system for BCS schools that fire their coach and need a new one. We'd get to pick first, with Kentucky or Aubrun in the 2 spot.:nod:

I gotta think its Peterson for Cal.
We are talking about the BSU HC right? I thought he was clearly on record as not wanting to leave BSU and had plenty of chances in the past few years and said no.

Has he changed his mind?

He turned down UCLA last year. I don't think Cal is a better job than UCLA. The cost of living certainly isn't any better.

He turned down UCLA last year. I don't think Cal is a better job than UCLA. The cost of living certainly isn't any better.

Much better facilities than UCLA and isn't in a market where your rival gets much more media coverage than you do.

Wow. Read the letter from the pres. This section caught my eye.

I understand that cynics may conclude that this decision was driven solely by financial issues, and while revenue implications are one consideration, I'm here to say nothing can be further from the truth. I take very seriously the responsibility of providing our student-athletes with nothing but the finest of resources, and my experience as a coach and leader in intercollegiate athletics teaches me that if you establish and sustain the conditions student-athletes need to succeed, it creates a foundation from which all success can follow....academic success, wins, postseason play and ticket sales.
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-fo...ah.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Even with a 7 mil buyout, she knew that keeping Tedford would actually COST CAL MONEY. Cal gets it.

Peterson is a serous candidate if the job opens up at UT. I have a friend who's uncle is a 7 figure UT donor. The Anti-Brown crowd is gaining steam quickly. Brown might be 'retired' at the end of this year. His former OC is there right now.

I understand that cynics may conclude that this decision was driven solely by financial issues, and while revenue implications are one consideration, I'm here to say nothing can be further from the truth. I take very seriously the responsibility of providing our student-athletes with nothing but the finest of resources, and my experience as a coach and leader in intercollegiate athletics teaches me that if you establish and sustain the conditions student-athletes need to succeed, it creates a foundation from which all success can follow....academic success, wins, postseason play and ticket sales.

It's hard to believe how screwed we are.

Peterson is a serous candidate if the job opens up at UT. I have a friend who's uncle is a 7 figure UT donor. The Anti-Brown crowd is gaining steam quickly. Brown might be 'retired' at the end of this year. His former OC is there right now.

Bruce Feldman has some interesting info on CP. Either way, I wouldn't look to much into CP turning down UCLA, he is not moving his family to Los Angeles.

Still, this should help CU when they finally decide to make a move. An academically inclined [public] school in the pac just paid their coach to leave. Paid him a lot.

The idea that Nike will pay some of Tedford's buyout is ridiculous. I understand Nike pays a salary "add-on" to the HCs at Nike schools. However, I'm sure Nike isn't contractually obligated to pay part of Tedford's buyout. The school made a unilateral decision to fire him - why should Nike pay? Further, why would Nike help out a school not only in the same conference, but the same division as its favorite child?

The idea that Nike will pay some of Tedford's buyout is ridiculous. I understand Nike pays a salary "add-on" to the HCs at Nike schools. However, I'm sure Nike isn't contractually obligated to pay part of Tedford's buyout. The school made a unilateral decision to fire him - why should Nike pay? Further, why would Nike help out a school not only in the same conference, but the same division as its favorite child?

Because that's how they run business? They want all their schools to do well. It's better for them. Anyway, Nike IS NOT contractually obligated to help in the buy out, they are contractually obligated to give Cal money every year, Cal used that money to pay JT's salary, Cal will now use that money to aid in the buy out. The relationship with NIKE, and their contributions don't end.

Article in the DP about Tedford's firing. Reading this part of the article makes it sound like he would be an ideal candidate for us. But I bet after a $7m payout and a tough season he'll take a year off.

Tedford engineered an impressive turnaround for the Golden Bears after taking over a one-win team following the 2001 season. He won a school-record 82 games, churned out numerous NFL prospects and spearheaded a facilities upgrade highlighted by a $321 million stadium renovation.

Read more:California fires coach Jeff Tedford - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci...fornia-fires-coach-jeff-tedford#ixzz2CnYS0dip

Back