What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal takes its football seriously enough - Jeff Tedford fired

Also anyone else now lose more faith in Henderson's sources? A few days ago he said we were looking at him as OC. Then yesterday he said his sources told him Tedford was probably sticking around for another year. What does he know?

Also anyone else now lose more faith in Henderson's sources? A few days ago he said we were looking at him as OC. Then yesterday he said his sources told him Tedford was probably sticking around for another year. What does he know?

DBT is Henderson's source for all things. There is a reason all his articles are pointless and confusing. :lol:

Cal should hire that unknown guy from that tiny unheard of engineering school ... haha. Only at CU. (shaking my head)

Cal should hire that unknown guy from that tiny unheard of engineering school ... haha. Only at CU. (shaking my head)
No one is talking about Stitt as a HC, but as an OC. He has concepts that are being used by high powered offenses across the country so it's really not such a bad thing.

Wow. Read the letter from the pres. This section caught my eye.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-fo...ah.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Even with a 7 mil buyout, she knew that keeping Tedford would actually COST CAL MONEY. Cal gets it.

Two others
When Chancellor Birgeneau talks about comprehensive excellence as one of Berkeley's defining attributes, he means it....and we live by it. It is imperative that Cal football be recognized as a leader in academic accomplishment, competitive success and community engagement.

and

As a first step, we are convening an advisory group of key stakeholders who we will turn to for guidance in terms of the professional profile, experience and personal attributes we should be looking for in potential candidates.

I would love to hear some talk from our admin like the first quote.

As for the second does this sound like what CU did?

No one is talking about Stitt as a HC, but as an OC. He has concepts that are being used by high powered offenses across the country so it's really not such a bad thing.

I wouldn't touch Stitt with a ten foot pole. Has he even coached at a BCS program? As CSU would say, we are so small time.

Can you please change your avatar?

Oh, if only we were at a school serious about football, like Cal, or Tennessee or pretty much anyone else.

Agree with others...let's start a search for new admin.

Gordon Gee should come back and steal Les Miles and bring him back to Boulder.

I wouldn't touch Stitt with a ten foot pole. Has he even coached at a BCS program? As CSU would say, we are so small time.

So we can only hire coaches that have coached at other BCS programs? But we're nowhere near the top of the food chain of BCS programs, especially at the moment. Welcome to the just got fired retread express.... :huh:

Chip Kelly never coached at a BCS school until he got to Oregon, moot point.

Some of the best offensive minds in recent years have come up through a non-traditional route. Hal Mumme developed his offense at Iowa Wesleyan and Valdosta State. Chip Kelly was at New Hampshire. Gus Malzahn was an Arkansas high school coach. Rich Rodriguez designed his offense while at Glenville State.

I think an argument can be made that the only way to find offensive innovation is to look outside the box. Sonny Dykes was able to successfully try the innovation of the Center calling the snap count and audibles at LA Tech. That's not the type of thing you could ever risk tinkering with at a place like USC. And you're certainly never going to find that level of creative thinking from NFL coaches.

Bruce Feldman on the Cal coaching search:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21071730/tedford-out-at-cal

According to him the leading candidates are:

Boise State's Chris Petersen;
San Jose State's Mike MacIntyre;
former Stanford assistant Greg Roman;
Cincinnati Bengal assistant Hue Jackson;
Louisiana Tech's Sonny Dykes;
Utah State's Gary Andersen;
Western Kentucky's Willie Taggart
Fresno State's Tim DeRuyter.

Safe to safe that's pretty close to what our list would look like with the exception of a couple names replacing Petersen, Jackson, and Roman? I don't know much about Taggart.

Because that's how they run business? They want all their schools to do well. It's better for them. Anyway, Nike IS NOT contractually obligated to help in the buy out, they are contractually obligated to give Cal money every year, Cal used that money to pay JT's salary, Cal will now use that money to aid in the buy out. The relationship with NIKE, and their contributions don't end.

Isn't Cal going to need to use that money to pay the next coach's salary? Using your logic, the Pac-12 Network is helping to fund Tedford's buyout. Bottom line is the money has to come from somewhere and it isn't coming from increased contributions by Nike.

Isn't Cal going to need to use that money to pay the next coach's salary? Using your logic, the Pac-12 Network is helping to fund Tedford's buyout. Bottom line is the money has to come from somewhere and it isn't coming from increased contributions by Nike.

Smh. You can believe it or not. But Nike is contributing.

So we can only hire coaches that have coached at other BCS programs? But we're nowhere near the top of the food chain of BCS programs, especially at the moment. Welcome to the just got fired retread express.... :huh:

Is this a joke? Did we not just go through the whole scathing criticism of Embree because he is unqualified for the position?

YES. CU should only hire a damn coach who at least has experience as a coordinator at a BCS conference. I mean, holy **** CSU just hired the alabama OC.

Smh. You can believe it or not. But Nike is contributing.

I don't know where you're getting your info but it's wrong. Nike pays approx $2m/year towards the coaches salary, but it isn't transferable -- that money will be used for the new coaches salary. The money for the buyout is coming from donors -- most of it from a couple of very high net-worth people. Nike is not paying the buyout.

Also of note, Tedford's contract calls for the buyout to be reduced by whatever salary he gets in his next job, and he is required to make a good-faith effort to look for employment. It's likely that the donors will be on the hook for only about $3m.

Also of note, Tedford's contract calls for the buyout to be reduced by whatever salary he gets in his next job, and he is required to make a good-faith effort to look for employment. It's likely that the donors will be on the hook for only about $3m.

If true that is very interesting. That means he will be looking and maybe available for CU. Given we are in the exact same situation, almost, as Cal when he took over, I think he would be a good fit to get us going again. And he is a great recruiter with deep connections in Cal/Pac 12 country. If he hired the right coordinators I think he could turn things around quickly and hopefully rally support for facilities upgrades too.

No Justin Wilcox. Phew.

Brock Huard was on one of the local sports shows last night and the guys asked him who he thought would end up at Cal. His response was that they should ask a guy in their building named Wilcox. Josh Wilcox is another local radio guy and Justin's brother. Isaac and Suke said that Josh was being painfully quiet about it. Brock was very firm in saying that he thought Cal should and would at least interview Justin Wilcox.

Not sure his information is any better than CBS's but he seemed very confident.

Sorry.

This should be the link to the audio if you are interested (I can't verify at work).

http://audio.1080thefan.com/a/66806289/brock-huard-espn-college-football-analyst.htm?

Last edited:
Tedford is coach #1 that has done less with more. His teams always melt down in November. It was time for him to be canned honestly.

Absolutely. Amazing architect of Cal's resurrection but his time there had run its course. Honestly, though, I think a lot of his downfall is due to the conflicts with Tosh along with some of the recruiting risks Tosh took killing Cal's APR (team gpa was supposedly under a 2.0).

Is this a joke? Did we not just go through the whole scathing criticism of Embree because he is unqualified for the position?

YES. CU should only hire a damn coach who at least has experience as a coordinator at a BCS conference. I mean, holy **** CSU just hired the alabama OC.

Except, again, nobody is talking about Stitt as a HC. His name came up as a candidate for OC. You can sit back and demand that every position on the staff be filled ONLY by successful coaches from other BCS programs. Then wait and see just how long it takes the line of applicants to form....

Back