What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal's shockingly low athletic admission standards

Stanford can recruit nationally because it's a private school. Are the academics really that much different at Cal vs Stanford? Doubtful. Their brand can recruit nationally, much like a Northwestern or Vandy or Duke or ND, but even moreso.

From buddies that have gone to both, it's harder to get into Stanford, but much easier to graduate and graduate with a high GPA there. Cal grads are happy if they graduate with a 3.0 average. It can be brutal there.

Oh Jesus Christ.

Does it really make sense that Stanford earned its ranking as the number one institution of higher learning by not challenging its students academically and holding them accountable to higher standards? Of course not.

Every Cal grad I've ever known wishes they got into Stanford, and additionally acknowledge that if Stanford students have higher GPAs on average, it's because they're smarter and have responded well to a more demanding academic environment.

Every Cal grad I've ever known wishes they got into Stanford, and additionally acknowledge that if Stanford students have higher GPAs on average, it's because they're smarter and have responded well to a more demanding academic environment.

C'mon. You don't know any Cal grads. If you did, they would probably supervise you.

**** Cal! I mean, seriously **** CAL!

Our best argument with CU administrators for loosening standards in order to get talent in was, "Look at Cal's academic reputation. They're getting guys in from the high school and JUCO ranks that CU won't even touch. That's ridiculous." Then ****ing Cal has to go and not only suck ass in football but have its athletic programs embarrass the university by delivering the worst academic performance in D1 athletics.

**** Cal!

C'mon. You don't know any Cal grads. If you did, they would probably supervise you.

Stop being coy. It's true I've fallen on hard times and work for a Cal grad.

But that's pure red herring. I'm a CU grad, and every morning that I can tie my own shoes is pure victory. This isn't about me, or CU. This is about how awesome Stanford is.

So yes, my boss is a Cal grad, and he's a very well-intentioned, if not entirely bright man.

Atta Buff. Blame us for your woes. At least we built a stadium before we effed everything up.

**** Cal! I mean, seriously **** CAL!

Our best argument with CU administrators for loosening standards in order to get talent in was, "Look at Cal's academic reputation. They're getting guys in from the high school and JUCO ranks that CU won't even touch. That's ridiculous." Then ****ing Cal has to go and not only suck ass in football but have its athletic programs embarrass the university by delivering the worst academic performance in D1 athletics.

**** Cal!

We've all seen this movie. It doesn't end well for Cal. They better find some folks with a backbone and fast. All this bullsh*t about holding symposiums to discuss the role of athletics at the university is nothing more than an excuse to come up with ways to gut their athletic department. They don't hold symposiums at Texas. Worse yet, they don't hold symposiums at Stanford.

University of Chicago

University of Chicago

Or and extra year of Dan Hawkins followed by their own John Embree.

These self-appointed protectors of the "academic integrity" of the university are easy to dismiss for their ridiculous attitudes but as I posted earlier in the thread anyone interested in having a respectable athletic program does that at their own risk. Let them slide in at an opportune moment and you could be looking at years to get back to respectability.

Some places the culture simply won't allow it. Indiana famously had a professor who made it his personal mission to lead attempts to remove Bobby Knight and de-emphasize basketball. That wasn't going to happen there. Some people tried to take advantage at Oklahoma in the wake of the Switzer issues and got exactly nowhere.

Others are prone to listening to and giving credence to those with more education than sense. Boulder has always had this issue. Berkley is another place with a percentage of profs and administrators who want to see themselves as a missplaced Ivy League school and act accordingly.

I just can't figure out why Cal is struggling. They have UCLA in the system who have it together, or they can look down the road to Stanford. Maybe they should change their name to San Jose State Berkeley.

I just can't figure out why Cal is struggling. They have UCLA in the system who have it together, or they can look down the road to Stanford. Maybe they should change their name to San Jose State Berkeley.

Except San Jose State actually has it together too.

Does it really make sense that Stanford earned its ranking as the number one institution of higher learning by not challenging its students academically and holding them accountable to higher standards? Of course not.

Sure it makes sense. Show me a ranking system that awards academic rigor (how would one measure that? ****tier grades=more rigorous?). Academic rankings are mostly based on admission statistics and money-neither of which have anything to do with how rigorous the academic program is. Here's the secret to becoming a high ranking institute of higher learning--admit a small percentage of applicants and have a big-ass endowment.

Amazing that a "safety school" would be so negligent when it comes to construction in seismic zones...

No, the Stanford guys would run the venture capital fund that hired the engineers for Cal Tech to do the job right.

fair point. i presume the cal grads get to chalk the lines before game time, right?

Sure it makes sense. Show me a ranking system that awards academic rigor (how would one measure that? ****tier grades=more rigorous?). Academic rankings are mostly based on admission statistics and money-neither of which have anything to do with how rigorous the academic program is. Here's the secret to becoming a high ranking institute of higher learning--admit a small percentage of applicants and have a big-ass endowment.

Very good point, and added to that is the variability you have at big state schools, like Texas. It's not incredibly hard to get into Texas if you are a resident and if you pick the right major you can skate by with little effort. That said, pick a different major, like engineering and the rigor level is about as high as you will find at any ivy school. Prob the same for CU in certain departments and honors programs.

Back