What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Buff Coaches take Recruits to Broncos Games?

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
Watching the Broncos game today, I wondered if NCAA rules would allow the Buff coaches to take recruits to home Broncos games? Not sure if this has been covered in a prior thread? Given our coaching ties to the NFL and that being one of our competitive advantages we pitch to recruits, and that we have an entertaining NFL team down the road, you'd think Embree could get kids to the game, maybe even meet some of the Broncos players during home games.

A lot of the teams we compete against in recruiting do not have the advantage of an NFL team in their backyard (e.g. Oregon, AZ, Utah, etc.).

Sure. But the guys fly out on Sunday. Also, they may have to pay for their own tix.

Watching the Broncos game today, I wondered if NCAA rules would allow the Buff coaches to take recruits to home Broncos games?

A lot of the teams we compete against in recruiting do not have the advantage of an NFL team in their backyard (e.g. Oregon, AZ, Utah, etc.).

Why would you want to? It seems like something they'd see right through and only takes the focus away from your program. Also, I wouldn't consider those schools that you mentioned as "a lot." The PAC-12 has NFL teams near most of its college towns. If we were still in the Big 12, then having an NFL team near the school would be somewhat unique.

No. As it says in Stoudt's Recruitipedia, the rules for an official visit are reasonable expenses including tickets to one home athletic event.

They should just make the broncos players come to CU on Saturday and put on a flag football game or something.

Why would you want to? It seems like something they'd see right through and only takes the focus away from your program. Also, I wouldn't consider those schools that you mentioned as "a lot." The PAC-12 has NFL teams near most of its college towns. If we were still in the Big 12, then having an NFL team near the school would be somewhat unique.

Oregon, OS, WSU, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Utah would like to disagree with you.

Oregon, OS, WSU, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Utah would like to disagree with you.

You think it helps? Our experience has been the opposite. In the Big 12, the only other program that had an NFL team down the street was Kansas and it did nothing to help their program. Kansas City is an NFL town.

You think it helps? Our experience has been the opposite. In the Big 12, the only other program that had an NFL team down the street was Kansas and it did nothing to help their program. Kansas City is an NFL town.

Thanks Nik. This is exactly what I meant by what I wrote.

There are 2 points here: Does it help in recruiting and then does it help in creating commitment to the university football program. My point was just that it may help in recruiting as I would think Embree and his staff could have some good ins with the Broncos staff and if recruits could meet the players and/or coaches that it would make their trip to CU pretty memorable and it proves that our staff has good NFL roots.

As far as does it help with creating commitment to the uni team I'd say no. States like Nebraska have absolutely literally nothing else but college football and so the whole state rallies around it. And of course a good coach or standout player there could run for President of Nebraska Republic and win.

No. As it says in Stoudt's Recruitipedia, the rules for an official visit are reasonable expenses including tickets to one home athletic event.
So I was correct that they could if the recruits paid for their own ticket. Which, of course, would be bad form. "Hey kid, how would you like to go see the Broncos game?" "Sure coach, that'd be awesome!" "One problem, kid, it'll cost you $120 for the ticket. Can you handle that?" Ain't happening.

So I was correct that they could if the recruits paid for their own ticket. Which, of course, would be bad form. "Hey kid, how would you like to go see the Broncos game?" "Sure coach, that'd be awesome!" "One problem, kid, it'll cost you $120 for the ticket. Can you handle that?" Ain't happening.

:nod:

Pretty much the only thing that could happen would be that a recruit would tell the CU coaches that he and his dad are going to take in a Broncos game on Sunday after the OV weekend was over and, maybe, the coaches and Plati could use some of their contacts in the Donks organization to get someone to say "hi". I doubt that CU would even risk that, though, because if a well-meaning person in the Broncos' PR department did anything that could be construed as a special benefit, CU would be screwed with the NCAA.

I remember Hawkins' would take recruits to Nuggets games

Hmmm.

I would bet that there are some specifics related to the cost of the tickets.

Here's the part of the rules summary for an OV that's relevant:

2. BYLAWS 13.7.4 ACCOMMODATIONS & 13.7.5 ENTERTAINMENT
During the one paid visit, the institution may house and entertain the prospect and the prospect's parents (or legal guardian or spouse) in the community in which the institution is located, but these must be at a scale comparable to normal student life. Off-campus entertainment must take place only in the area within a 30-mile radius of the institution’s main campus; further, entertainment must be at a scale comparable to that of normal student life and may not be excessive in nature. (NOTE: There are certain limitations and restrictions on the entertainment of prospects and others for whom entertainment is permitted. These should be explained in detail and must be carefully adhered to.)

I don't know that going to a Broncos game is going to be a real positive for a lot of recruits. "What do you do for fun?", "We left campus and drove 45 minutes to go someplace else."

What I have noticed more of this year and I do think is positive is more involvement by the former players who had NFL time. We had guys like Al Williams in the locker room after games and also at some practices. Bigger impact "Who's that huge guy hanging out over there?" "Oh that's Alfred Williams, multiple pro bowler, just was inducted into the college hall of fame." "Wow, can I meet him?"

Even the guys who were role players in the NFL or just started a couple of years in Boulder can make an impression. It tells the recruits that they have a chance to feel like a part of something, not just go to a school.

I don't know that going to a Broncos game is going to be a real positive for a lot of recruits. "What do you do for fun?", "We left campus and drove 45 minutes to go someplace else."

What I have noticed more of this year and I do think is positive is more involvement by the former players who had NFL time. We had guys like Al Williams in the locker room after games and also at some practices. Bigger impact "Who's that huge guy hanging out over there?" "Oh that's Alfred Williams, multiple pro bowler, just was inducted into the college hall of fame." "Wow, can I meet him?"

Even the guys who were role players in the NFL or just started a couple of years in Boulder can make an impression. It tells the recruits that they have a chance to feel like a part of something, not just go to a school.

Embree goes way beyond guys who had professional athletic careers. He likes to have former players around who have been successful in non-sports careers as role models for the players, too.

Embree goes way beyond guys who had professional athletic careers. He likes to have former players around who have been successful in non-sports careers as role models for the players, too.

I've noticed this and like it. Helps put the players in the right frame of mind and gives them somebody to go to for advice and guidance.

No I was aiming at the fact that quite a few of the Pac-12 schools don't have an NFL team nearby I was not arguing the other point lol

Back