What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can we bring the Wood?

mac's system of quick short throws should help out whoever wins the job.... embo's system was doomed no matter who was in at qb

mac's system of quick short throws should help out whoever wins the job.... embo's system was doomed no matter who was in at qb

On the surface, that sounds like it should work. But when opposing defenses put 10 in the box, short passes don't work very well. You need the threat of the long ball. I'm hoping we can stretch the field a little bit this year. The receivers should be good enough. I worry about giving the QB adequate time to get the ball to them more than 10 yards downfield.

On the surface, that sounds like it should work. But when opposing defenses put 10 in the box, short passes don't work very well. You need the threat of the long ball. I'm hoping we can stretch the field a little bit this year. The receivers should be good enough. I worry about giving the QB adequate time to get the ball to them more than 10 yards downfield.

If they're going to put 10 in the box then they're going to get toasted by JT and PRich. If our OL can stay healthy (remember we get Munyer and Lewis back for fall ball) then I'm not going to worry too much, especially at the start of the season.

If they're going to put 10 in the box then they're going to get toasted by JT and PRich. If our OL can stay healthy (remember we get Munyer and Lewis back for fall ball) then I'm not going to worry too much, especially at the start of the season.

We've been saying that for the last 6 years. So far, the only team getting toasted has been CU. I'll believe it when I see it.

We've been saying that for the last 6 years. So far, the only team getting toasted has been CU. I'll believe it when I see it.

About the deep threat? Well other than Clemons, whose light didn't come on until the last couple games of his senior year, when was the last time we had a WR with the speed of PRich other than himself? Lindgren's offense was up there in total yards last year as well. I'm not expecting that but our offense will be much, much improved if Wood can play even average, the addition of PRich and JT, and the offense being much more simple but very effective compared to the last two years.

Exactly right. Also, the intermediate accuracy of our QBs is still very much in doubt. Those 12-15 yard routes are pretty important and can make or break a QB.

Wow shocker on Webb. I think the writing was already on the wall for him. I do hope he recovers well and that this year he becomes a graduate assistant.

Wow shocker on Webb. I think the writing was already on the wall for him. I do hope he recovers well and that this year he becomes a graduate assistant.

If not a medical retirement is a practical way of freeing up his scholarship and allowing the coaches to focus on younger guys without him losing his scholly and/or leaving with a bad taste in his mouth.

Tough break for Webb. Hope it is not serious. The good news is that the younger guys will get more reps in the spring game.

I think everyone has rushed to judgement here, as there is absolutely no writing on the wall. Just as Connor Wood looks like a totally different guy right now, confident in everything he is doing, we should afford Webb that same blank sheet of paper.

The coaches most definitely have started with a clean slate everywhere. There's no writing on any walls at QB as it pertains to Webb.

I think everyone has rushed to judgement here, as there is absolutely no writing on the wall. Just as Connor Wood looks like a totally different guy right now, confident in everything he is doing, we should afford Webb that same blank sheet of paper.

The coaches most definitely have started with a clean slate everywhere. There's no writing on any walls at QB as it pertains to Webb.
Rumor has it his injury is major which makes this argument moot. But Webb's record as a starting QB is among the worst in the history of Div 1 football. Sure he had bad coaches and sub par players but he is not cut out to be a starting BCS QB. Anyone who watched him play last year can attest to that. Regardless of what the staff said about clean slates, noone really believes they did not look at the film, especially on the QBs to see how the played in live action.

Again, hope the best for him because he is a warrior and showed guts, but his time as college QB appears to have passed. I think given his experience playing QB at BCS schools, he could help out the younger QBs this year on the sideline.

I hope the best for him. If it is serious, I hope he is able to complete his graduate degree at CU under medical retirement and move on with his life.

Rumor has it his injury is major which makes this argument moot. But Webb's record as a starting QB is among the worst in the history of Div 1 football. Sure he had bad coaches and sub par players but he is not cut out to be a starting BCS QB. Anyone who watched him play last year can attest to that. Regardless of what the staff said about clean slates, noone really believes they did not look at the film, especially on the QBs to see how the played in live action.

Again, hope the best for him because he is a warrior and showed guts, but his time as college QB appears to have passed. I think given his experience playing QB at BCS schools, he could help out the younger QBs this year on the sideline.

Bolded was probably fueling his drive for an improved season. It would be sad if redemption was undermined by injury.

Coach Mac was on 104.3 the fan this morning. Sounded to me like its a two horse race between Nick and Connor.

Coach Mac was on 104.3 the fan this morning. Sounded to me like its a two horse race between Nick and Connor.
I am sorry to hear that Dillon is not likely in the race as many of us came into this hoping he would win it outright. But sounds like he is not ready for prime time and hopefully he can get some help on his mechanics this year too (and some more big Macs).

But I am super encouraged by the apparent improvement in Wood's performance. Either the light finally clicked for him or this offense and new staff is a better fit, or both. While Hirsch is not bad, Wood seems to have way more upside potential so I am now pulling for him. Hirsch can be back up and then Dillon. If Wood can be the real deal, then Sefo can RS this year, be backup next year and start his RS Soph year (with Dillon backing him up unless or until we recruit someone better than both of them).

I am sorry to hear that Dillon is not likely in the race as many of us came into this hoping he would win it outright. But sounds like he is not ready for prime time and hopefully he can get some help on his mechanics this year too (and some more big Macs).

But I am super encouraged by the apparent improvement in Wood's performance. Either the light finally clicked for him or this offense and new staff is a better fit, or both. While Hirsch is not bad, Wood seems to have way more upside potential so I am now pulling for him. Hirsch can be back up and then Dillon. If Wood can be the real deal, then Sefo can RS this year, be backup next year and start his RS Soph year (with Dillon backing him up unless or until we recruit someone better than both of them).

Love that we finally get a stud QB recruit (Dillon was in the Elite 11) and he redshirts and still isn't ready to play. Sucks.

Agree, coach Mac did not say anything negative about Dillon. But he made sure to mention his lack of experience a few times.

Love that we finally get a stud QB recruit (Dillon was in the Elite 11) and he redshirts and still isn't ready to play. Sucks.
I have said this in the past - the Elite 11 thing is a joke. Dilfer is filling his and his buddies pockets. It is political and driven once again like everything, by the old mighty $. overrated

Every QB recruit is supposed to be the next super star. Remember Clark Evans? Or how about Ballenger? B-Jax was going to run and throw all over the B-12.

I have said this in the past - the Elite 11 thing is a joke. Dilfer is filling his and his buddies pockets. It is political and driven once again like everything, by the old mighty $. overrated

Signed Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Matt Stafford, Tim Tebow, Ryan Mallet, Tyrod Taylor, Blaine Gabbert, Landry Jones, Andrew Luck, EJ Manuel, etc.

Nothing in recruiting will ever be perfect but the Elite 11 has put out some very good college QB's.

Signed Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Matt Stafford, Tim Tebow, Ryan Mallet, Tyrod Taylor, Blaine Gabbert, Landry Jones, Andrew Luck, EJ Manuel, etc.

Nothing in recruiting will ever be perfect but the Elite 11 has put out some very good college QB's, and Cody.
fify.

This is good news. I don't think Dillon is the answer at this point.

Cody Hawkins was an Elite 11 QB. Being part of the Elite 11 doesn't mean you will be successful at QB.

Back