What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can we get rid of Hawkins ths way?

mke1010

I keep hearing about how even if we wanted to get rid of Hawkins we dont have the funds to buy out his contract.

Could a fund raising drive be started to raise 2.8 million to buyout his contract? There are a lot of boosters and donors who I bet would willingly support the program in this manner rather than continue to flush their hard earned money down the toilet.

Alumni and students could donate as little as $10 per person. I am sure such a public drive would raise a substantial amount of money as well as put further pressure on Bohn to act should the situation get worse.

Once the excuse of not being able to afford the buyout is gone, I bet coach Hawk would be gone quicker than quick sand and we can begin in reality the rebuilding of this once proud program.

Last edited:
The paper this morning quoted Bohn as saying the total buyout including relocation costs for assistants, etc. would be about $3.4 million.

The bottom line, however, is that the university will have to analyze the opportunity cost if Hawkins is not removed. If only a fraction of the season ticket holders who are talking about not renewing next season if Hawkins is here actually follow through it will be devastating.

It is very ugly, to say the least.

I keep hearing about how even if we wanted to get rid of Hawkins we dont have the funds to buy out his contract.

Could a fund raising drive be started to raise 2.8 million to buyout his contract? There are a lot of boosters and donors who I bet would willingly support the program in this manner rather than continue to flush their hard earned money down the toilet.

Alumni and students could donate as little as $10 per person. I am sure such a public drive would raise a substantial amount of money as well as put further pressure on Bohn to act should the situation get worse.

Once the excuse of not being able to afford the buyout is gone, I bet coach Hawk would be gone quicker than quick sand and we can begin in reality the rebuilding of this once proud program.

Think of the ramifications of that. I think that would be a horrible AND stupid thing to do. Solicit the masses for money to fire someone. What will the reaction be with the players? coaches? boosters?

Think of what would transpire with emotions. We would be a huge joke for anyone to come here and play or coach.

Think of the ramifications of that. I think that would be a horrible AND stupid thing to do. Solicit the masses for money to fire someone. What will the reaction be with the players? coaches? boosters?

Think of what would transpire with emotions. We would be a huge joke for anyone to come here and play or coach.

Exactly who would be doing the soliciting?
I guess you did not understand what I was saying. I am not asking the school to be involved in any way. I am saying that the fans of CU football could take it upon themselvs to raise money without CU involvement. In the event that the situation continues to degenerate and we need to fire Hawkins but dont have the revenue we could offer a security blanket.

I dont think it would be a negative. It would show potential recruits that we dont tolerate losing here. It would also show them that we are fair. We give you a long period of time to prove yourself and if you dont, it is unacceptable. It would also send a message to future coaches that losses and excuses are unacceptable while also higlighting the passion and commitment CU fans have for their team. Who wouldn't want this sort of fan base? Probably only a coach scared of being a loser after 4 years in the program.

Last edited:
Exactly who would be doing the soliciting?
I guess you did not understand what I was saying. I am not asking the school to be involved in any way. I am saying that the fans of CU football could take it upon themselvs to raise money without CU involvement. In the event that the situation continues to degenerate and we need to fire Hawkins but dont have the revenue we could offer a security blanket.

I dont think it would be a negative. It would show potential recruits that we dont tolerate losing here. It would also show them that we are fair. We give you a long period of time to prove yourself and if you dont, it is unacceptable. It would also send a message to future coaches that losses and excuses are unacceptable while also higlighting the passion and commitment CU fans have for their team. Who wouldn't want this sort of fan base? Probably only a coach scared of being a loser after 4 years in the program.

Maybe i am too old fashioned... and I am only 35, but gathering the "masses" to have a say in running the football program is stupid. Here is why:

you will then have many people who can throw money at a problem giving their opinions..... do these people then get to vote on the next hire? how about the next fire.

There is a system and order in place. There is the university who hired a president, who hired an Athleic Director. They are the people to deal with this problem. If they want to raise money to buyout Hawkins, they can. HOWEVER, THEY HAVE MUCH MORE TO THINK ABOUT THAN JUST THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

My contention is that there is a system in place and we must follow that system. If Bohn doesn't perform his job, then he will answer to the President eventually. Same thing with Hawkins.

Whoever is calling for this firing immediately is looking for some gratification after being embarassed the last 2 weeks. Anyone who makes decisions based on these emotions is not a very good decision maker.

Let the process run its course. The University made a decision to extend Hawkins and they need some time to figure out the best course of action going forward. Assembling the masses to donate and "speak" by firing Hawkins is not the way to do it.

I agree with the others in this thread. It would be VERY damaging to the program to have an out-and-out mutiny like that.

The only thing Bohn could do would be private meetings with the top 20 donors or something and try to work it out that way.

Back