Card games

Discussion in 'Games' started by hokiehead, Jan 15, 2019.

1. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain! Club Member

any other card players on Allbuffs?

I grew up in Wisconsin, and three things have always been de rigueur at any family gathering involving four or more: beer, cheese & summer sausage platter, cards.

Euchre (and Dirty Clubs) are the hokie family favorites going back at least four generations. This has continued to my family today (my cheesehead extended family was pleasantly surprised when they learned that my kids and my southern-belle wife played Euchre as well as they did). I used to also play Euchre online through Yahoo!, but haven't done that in a long time.

Cribbage is, IMO, the very best two person card game, and I'm not sure there's a close second. The wife and I play a few times each week and I taught my daughter to play when she was seven. We were in a restaurant once in her early learning period, and a college professor at the next table overheard me coaching her. After about 15 minutes, he came over to our table and asked "what is this game you're teaching your daughter? ... it has summations, permutations, combinations..." I replied "SHHHHHHH... she doesn't know she's learning!"

I was a very engaged Bridge player until shortly after I got married. I played in tournaments hosted by VT's Duplicate Bridge Club for a brief period and actually accumulated a few masters points. Unfortunately, the wife has no interest in learning, and its something I got away from after marriage. If I was independently wealthy, I'd play a lot of bridge. I think its a beautiful game.

Playing Spades is simply frustrating once you've been introduced to Bridge (I also find it annoying that everyone who plays Spades seems to have slightly different rules). I haven't played it in maybe 25 years, but Pinochle is valid, although still pales in comparison to Bridge.

I expect there's a lot of Poker players here. I played fairly actively in late teens and early twenties, but this was another thing that I got away from after marriage. Texas Hold 'em didn't get big until after that and I've only played that twice.

I've never met anyone outside of my mother's side of the family play this, but another family favorite is 3P's (Piss Poor Polack game). It's like a form a gin-rummy played with two decks and consists of exactly seven hands where the game gets progressively more difficult each hand.

My family aren't big gamblers, but we each have a jar of change, originally seeded about five years ago with $10/each, that gets stored at my house. We play Euchre at 25¢ per game (10¢ per set). Cribbage is 25¢ per game (35¢ for a skunk). I'm close to even, the wife had to borrow from the "bank" over Thanksgiving, and my 23 yo daughter is up.

GoonieBuff likes this.
  2. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

International Rummy is our go to card game. There are so many variants to it though.
    Phase 10 is fun to play with our daughter. Similar to Rummy but has it's own special deck.

hokiehead likes this.
  3. WarBuff

WarBuff Club Member Club Member

My Wisconsin in-laws play S**t on your Neighbor. They also play Hearts, which is probably the same as spades.

Of course there are cases of beer and cheese curds, as well as a defibrillator for the inevitable coronary.

Fight CU and hokiehead like this.
  4. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

My family generally sticks to Hearts. Occasionally, we will swap to play Spades and the new fad has been Oh Hell. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Oh Hell. Although it is a fun game to play, there is a ton of luck involved.

hokiehead likes this.
  5. hokiehead

I forgot about Hearts -- haven't played in decades. similar to Spades, with hearts as trump every hand and the Queen of Spades carrying special significance.

Shjt on your neighbor -- I think I remember that. it's like Uno but with a normal deck if the same game I'm thinking of.

cheese curds served cold or warm at your in-laws?

WarBuff likes this.
  6. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Pinochle family from Minnesota.

GoonieBuff and hokiehead like this.
  7. hokiehead

I meant to put in the OP, our family always used cheap decks of cards, usually Bicycle brand, and considered them to be disposable. for Christmas, the wife bought us some really nice Kem decks. sounds silly, but I really like the way the cards feel in my hand -- no going back here.

WarBuff likes this.
  8. WarBuff

Cold, and Brandy Slushies for the hard core drinkers. No Wisconsinite has been able to differentiate a hard core drinker from any other Wisconsinite for me.

I know it’s not a card game, but we also play bar dice at some of the small town bars. When we get a little drunk, there is also the “dare you to eat the WW2 era pickled egg”!

hokiehead likes this.
  9. hokiehead

cold is the right answer -- rep.

and yes, Wisconsin knows how to drink -- us Badgers are a very thirsty people. this survey (self reporting) of the drunkest cities in the US resonated very well with me:
    • 19/20 are in the Midwest
    • 12/20 are in Wisconsin
    • top 4 are in Wisconsin
    my company is headquartered in Wisconsin and I reference this whenever they make cracks about our legal weed.

WarBuff likes this.
  10. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

Solitaire

Fight CU, wsp4820 and hokiehead like this.
  11. WarBuff

Wonder how the rankings would look if they didn't lump some of the cities in Wisconsin together as one entry. I get Milwaukee and some suburbs COULD be counted as one, but they didn't include all of them (wife is from Wauwatosa).

Imagine how they would look instead of combining Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, they just listed them separately!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Grew up playing spades and pinochle. We had a friendly card game at lunch hour when I was just out of school, with the work mates. We'd play Euchre and bridge. Agree with everything OP states . Haven't played bring the since '95.

Euchre night every week in Niwot at the Bootstrap brewery.

13. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Oh Hell is a great one

GoonieBuff likes this.
  14. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Real home isn't Astoria Club Member

Three games that my family has played for awhile while at the family place in Wisconsin are:

Euchre (I started playing this when I first went to college in Illinois)
    Pinochle
    Oh Hell

We play some others, but those are the go tos.

15. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Real home isn't Astoria Club Member

Ha, I didn't see that anyone had mentioned it, and there it was, right above my post.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  16. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Hearts is different than spades.

We always played Rummy (not gin rummy) or Oh Hell. I wish I played more card games but I usually only seem to find the time to do it now when camping.

17. manhattanbuf

manhattanbuf Club Member Club Member

I love playing poker. I really like draw games that really stretch the brain...

Badacey and badeucey

There are others but these are fun...

18. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

Blind Man's Bluff (or Bull****) belongs in the hall of fame for card games, IMO. Followed closely by War.

On a good day, you might convince to step up my intellect with a good old fashioned game of Go Fish.

WarBuff likes this.
  19. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

What about Slap Jack and Pig?

Highlander likes this.
  20. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

During my drinking days, and especially in school at CU, played a lot of asshole. Best drinking card game ever.

WasianCU likes this.
  21. ZandiBuff

ZandiBuff Club Member Club Member

Our family game is Hand and Foot, a loose interpretation of canasta

We also have played a ton of poker, both real (hold em tournament style ) and dealer call, 3+ wild card games - "My royal flush in spades beats your royale flush in spades because I have an actual non-wild face card!"

There is usually alcohol involved.

We used to buy the used decks of cards from Vegas. They were VERY cheap 10-15 years ago.

WarBuff and hokiehead like this.
  22. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

My five year old is obsessed with lowdown, which is a varaint of golf. If you have yongery kids, buy the special deck to make it easier, but a normal deck works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.