What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CBSsports ranks all 65 Power-5 coaches

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

65-26 dropped yesterday. Waiting on the Top 25.

So far on Pac-12 coaches:

64. Justin Wilcox, Cal (NR in 2016)
49. Jim Mora, UCLA (#29 in 2016)
45. Clay Helton, USC (#51 in 2016)
44. Rich Rodriguez, Arizona (#24 in 2016)
42. Todd Graham, Arizona State (#36 in 2016)
41. Gary Anderson, Oregon State (#52 in 2016)
31. Willie Taggart, Oregon (NR in 2016)
30. Mike MacIntyre (#58 in 2016): What happens when you follow a 10-27 start at Colorado with a 10-4 season that brings a moribund program back to life? Why, you climb an amazing 28 spots in the rankings! It'll be interesting to see how MacIntyre and the Buffs handle the encore, but we were all clearly impressed by last season's accomplishments.

Top 25 will include Mike Leach (Washington State), Kyle Whittingham (Utah), David Shaw (Stanford), and Chris Petersen (Washington).

Seems about right to me. I'm surprised Helton is so low with the way USC finished the season.

Petersen and Shaw should be safely in the top 10.
I'd have Saban #1, Urban #2, Dabo #3, Jimbo #4, and Stoops #5. I'd have a hard time putting anyone else ahead of those guys. Snyder would be the only guy I'd strongly consider putting at #6 ahead of Petersen and Shaw.

I could see Harbaugh ahead of Shaw.
Never won his conference and hasn't finished better than 3rd in his division at Michigan. Not sure how he's that high other than hype. Excellent coach who recruits and wins, but he hasn't "won" anything.

Never won his conference and hasn't finished better than 3rd in his division at Michigan. Not sure how he's that high other than hype. Excellent coach who recruits and wins, but he hasn't "won" anything.
Well he won his conference in the NFL, I would say that is more impressive than winning your conference in college football. I love Shaw don't get me wrong but Harbaugh built that program from nothing into an 11-1 team his final year with his only loss to the 2nd place team in the country. He has proven to be a monster recruiter but I get if you want to wait to see some of his recruits on the field before making that leap.

Technically he won 2 conference championships in 3 seasons at USD and he won an Orange Bowl at Stanford so he's "won" something.

If you could hire Harbaugh, Shaw, Snyder or Stoops right now who would you choose? I'd take Harbaugh.

Technically he won 2 conference championships in 3 seasons at USD and he won an Orange Bowl at Stanford so he's "won" something.

If you could hire Harbaugh, Shaw, Snyder or Stoops right now who would you choose? I'd take Harbaugh.
That'd be tough between Shaw and Harbaugh, but I think I agree. Honestly, Harbaugh might be #3 on my list behind Saban and Urban.

That'd be tough between Shaw and Harbaugh, but I think I agree. Honestly, Harbaugh might be #3 on my list behind Saban and Urban.
Could be. Dabo is one hell of a recruiter, but I don't think he's the coach Harbaugh is.

I'd be really curious where Les Miles would have ended up if he were coaching.

If we're talking about 1 season and winning with the guys I have, I'd hire Snyder.
If we're talking a quick rebuild, Stoops and then Harbaugh.
If we're talking about someone for the long-term leader of the program, Shaw.

i'm not sure CU has the culture conducive for a saban or meyer. harbaugh or petersen are probably better cultural fits. but, we've got our own soon-to-be TOP 10 coach now so we don't need these guys. they are OVER. the future is Mac.

so, i hope, anyhow.

lulz

If we're talking about 1 season and winning with the guys I have, I'd hire Snyder.
If we're talking a quick rebuild, Stoops and then Harbaugh.
If we're talking about someone for the long-term leader of the program, Shaw.
I am still not sold on Shaw given what he inherited.

I'd go with Shaw, Peterson, or Meyer. No order really. Saban, he's great but he's what like 63 or so? I'd want someone that has the team competing for chips every year, prefer a younger guy.

Last edited:
I am still not sold on Shaw given what he inherited.
What he inherited? Seriously? Most of us thought that after Luck left and he didn't have a great QB that the program was in for a decline because their team speed deficit would show up.

Shaw in 6 seasons: 64-17 (42-12) with 3 conference titles, 4 Top 10 finishes and a 4-2 bowl record. At friggin' Stanford, which has never had sustained success.

What are you looking for him to do before you're willing to acknowledge him as an elite coach?

How big of a gap do you think there is between Saban/Meyer and Petersen?
I don't know, but two are known commodities and one is almost there. Your decision would be like someone asking you if you wanted to choose between $1m cash or a lottery ticket with an 80% chance of winning $1m, and you choosing the lottery ticket.

I don't know, but two are known commodities and one is almost there. Your decision would be like someone asking you if you wanted to choose between $1m cash or a lottery ticket with an 80% chance of winning $1m, and you choosing the lottery ticket.

So to become a "known" commodity, you have to win a national title? Why the love for Harbaugh?

Every single one of the top 7-8 coaches in the country is a known commodity. I think just automatically going Saban and Meyer as 1-2 is a little lazy. Trajectory is always a factor.

Last edited:
So to become a "known" commodity, you have to win a national title? Why the love for Harbaugh?

Every single one of the top 7-8 coaches in the country is a known commodity.
Sinkratz asked the question about who you'd take between Shaw, Snyder, Harbaugh or Stoops. I'm asking for legitimate football reasons why you would choose Chris Petersen over probably the GOAT and another who is probably top 3-5 when it's all over. I'm not saying Petersen or Dabo or Stoops or Shaw aren't great college coaches, but choosing one of them over Saban and Meyer seems a little ridiculous to me.

Trajectory is always a factor.
And that's fair, but outside of Urban or Saban retiring in the next 5 years, do you not project them competing for National Championships every single year as long as they are coaching? Can you say the same thing about Petersen with 100% certainty?

Sinratz asked the question about who you'd take between Shaw, Snyder, Harbaugh or Stoops. I'm asking for legitimate football reasons why you would choose Chris Petersen over probably the GOAT and another who is probably top 3-5 when it's all over. I'm not saying Petersen or Dabo or Stoops or Shaw aren't great college coaches, but choosing one of them over Saban and Meyer seems a little ridiculous to me.

That's my point though: either you really believe there is a wide gap between those two and everyone else or it is actually not that "ridiculous" that other coaches might be just as good long-term options.

What he inherited? Seriously? Most of us thought that after Luck left and he didn't have a great QB that the program was in for a decline because their team speed deficit would show up.

Shaw in 6 seasons: 64-17 (42-12) with 3 conference titles, 4 Top 10 finishes and a 4-2 bowl record. At friggin' Stanford, which has never had sustained success.

What are you looking for him to do before you're willing to acknowledge him as an elite coach?
I genuinely believe Harbaugh built that program and Shaw successfully maintained that momentum. That being said, two points:
1) He has maintained the highest level of success Harbaugh had achieved and that is no trivial outcome given it is now at 6 years
2) There has yet to be a genuine gap in their performance, but last year may have proved what is to come next

With CMac gone, if he can deliver the kind of year this year that has happened over his tenure, my opinion will change. I believe they will be down and it will be the start of a slow decline.

That's my point though: either you really believe there is a wide gap between those two and everyone else or it is actually not that "ridiculous" that other coaches might be just as good long-term options.
For your NFL team, who are you taking for the long term: Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll or Dan Quinn?

And that's fair, but outside of Urban or Saban retiring in the next 5 years, do you not project them competing for National Championships every single year as long as they are coaching? Can you say the same thing about Petersen with 100% certainty?

I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I would take my chances, just as I would with Dabo at any southern school.

I think there is always a fine line in overpaying for a resume.

Back