What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cent Arkansas: Another Sac/Montana State?

Thanks for stopping in, ucabear. Great to learn a bit about your team. Is there a UCA message board we should talk to about trading info for the season preview and for game week?

P.S. I hate your field, but I can't argue that the PR you got for it did more for you than a similar advertising investment. Smart move even if it makes my eyes hurt and offends my old school sensibilities.

Thanks for stopping in, ucabear. Great to learn a bit about your team. Is there a UCA message board we should talk to about trading info for the season preview and for game week?

P.S. I hate your field, but I can't argue that the PR you got for it did more for you than a similar advertising investment. Smart move even if it makes my eyes hurt and offends my old school sensibilities.

Yeah not many people recognize us as anything other than the school scottie pippen went to haha. ucafans.com has a decent amount of activity...not that much during the offseason though. If anyone cares enough to watch here is a 2012 highlight video of our season

[video=youtube;xtltjrnyjh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xtltjrnyjh4[/video]

Not only that, but if we have a talent edge, it's only slight. We got a lot of guys playing key roles that were recruited at about the same level as their guys. Once you get outside the top few hundred players in the country, the accuracy of these recruiting ratings really fall off. It's impossible to say if some D1's 96th rated class is better than an FCS class. BOth are filled with nobodies!

Add to the mix "player development", which has not existed here for 4 years, and I'd guess has been pretty good at Central Arkansas during that span, and you'll have upperclassmen at one spot with consistent coaching and development, and upperclassmen here, who are starting their 3rd system in 4 years. Our first depth chart shows that there are guys that couldn't get on the field under Embree who are now at the top!

I have said this from day 1. No cream puffs on our schedule. Not one win I'd circle as a gimme. We are generally about equal with where we sit on a talent basis with both CSU and C. Arkansas, and I think we'd destroy them in game 7, we will struggle with them in games 1 and 2. Then layer on top, lack of true confidence, and a very real tendency to come apart and lose focus at the first sign of struggle. The expectation from me will be to win, but they will be hard fought battles.

And note that I'm generally optimistic when it comes to Buff seasons, but I suggested 3-4 wins max last year and got slammed for it. It's a total rebuilding project, and a lot will depend on QB play, and keeping key guys healthy like Richardson, Powell, and key linemen.

All Buff fans should be content to see improvement from last year, improvement from game 1 to game 12, and progress being made. I just don't see any easy wins on the schedule.
Could not disagree with this anymore.

Assuming this is what the final depth chart looks like...

Offense
QB
Shane Dillon: Five BCS offers

RB
Christian Powell: Four BCS offers

Z WR
Paul Richardson: Seven BCS Offers

X WR
Nelson Spruce: Two BCS offers

TE
Kyle Slavin: Two BCS offers

LT
Jack Harris: Five BCS offers
*Could also be Alex Lewis*

LG
Kaiwi Crabb: Three BCS offers

C
Gus Handler: Four BCS offers

RG
Daniel Munyer: One BCS offer

RT
Stephane Nembot: Eight BCS offers

FB
Alex Wood

Defense
LDE:
Samson Kofavalu: Six BCS offers

DT:
Nate Bonsu: Ten BCS offers

DT:
Josh Tupuo: One BCS offer

RDE:
Chidera Uzo-Diribe: One BCS offer

Mike:
Addison Gilliam: One BCS offer

Will:
Derrick Webb: Two BCS offers

Sam:
Paul Vigo: One BCS offer

CB-F:
Kenneth Crawley: Twenty-eight BCS offers

S-F:
Terrel Smith: One BCS offer

S-B:
Josh Moten: Two BCS offers

CB-B:
Greg Henderson: One BCS offer

Recruiting Rankings:
2008: #15
2009: #48
2010: #66
2011: #74
2012: #36
2013: #67

Yes there are obviously players gone from those classes but I'm going to guess that CAU has also had attrition, hell a CAU fan said they lost a good amount of players.

The issue isn't talent. We are more talented than any FCS team. Absolute dog **** coaching has been the issue against FCS teams. Yes we were bad last year, but this isn't a BCS team. This isn't a low level D1 team. It's a FCS team. No BCS team is out talented by a FCS team overall. There's a reason why BCS teams win games against FCS teams ~98% of the time. Yes we were dog**** last year but we gain PRich, we won't be playing a **** ton of freshman, and we don't have a DC who can't figure out how to stop a ****ing slant. Now I wait for you to say that recruiting rankings don't matter once they get to campus.

There's also the big issue that players got in Embree's doghouse and could never get out (Moten, Goodson last year) and Embree starting his players over ones from the previous staff which are well documented which helps explain why some players who didn't play last year are now at the top of the depth chart.

Last edited:
Of that starting lineup you have nine guys that have only one or two BCS offers with one being us. That means that almost half of the guys weren't considered highly enough to get significant attention outside of HS except by a bottom level team like CU. Now on the other hand you can argue that some deserved more or may not have reported. Tupuo may be a guy that others wished they had offered, CUD is clearly a big time player.

At the same time I can guarantee that C. Arkansas has a number of guys who BCS level schools wish they had offered, may even have a couple did have offers.

We do have better talent and should have better talent but I would say the talent difference between CU and C. Ark is less than the talent difference between CU and USC.

I'd be willing to bet that at least 90% of their roster wasn't in any of the databases

We won 1 game last year and that was because the pirate is a worse coach than Embree. We have like 76 quarterbacks on the roster and talking about bringing in a JC. I'm still holding out hope that Sefo wins the job as a true frosh, because everyone else adds up to 1 win.

I don't care what BCS offers players may or may not have. Until proven otherwise I'm going to continue to assume any team we play has a better QB, WR's (Please be healthy PRich), O Line, RB (Please be healthy Pow). On defense I'm going to assume that any team we play will have a better D Line, LB, and secondary.

Don't even bring up special teams.

Statistically CU was one of the worst teams in football last year. At this point CU will be lucky to be the favorite at home.

Until we get a lottttttttt better, we should be concerned about any game. Much better CU teams have gone and lost to much worse FCS teams than Central Arky.

We won 1 game last year and that was because the pirate is a worse coach than Embree. We have like 76 quarterbacks on the roster and talking about bringing in a JC. I'm still holding out hope that Sefo wins the job as a true frosh, because everyone else adds up to 1 win. (1)

I don't care what BCS offers players may or may not have. Until proven otherwise I'm going to continue to assume any team we play has a better QB, WR's (Please be healthy PRich), O Line, RB (Please be healthy Pow). On defense I'm going to assume that any team we play will have a better D Line, LB, and secondary. (2)

Don't even bring up special teams.

Statistically CU was one of the worst teams in football last year. At this point CU will be lucky to be the favorite at home.
(1) I don't. It sounds like the biggest issue with Dillon is that he needs to work on consistency. That'll come. Sefo should RS a year then come in guns a blazin

(2) I'll give you that they probably have better QB play (mostly because ours is still unknown) but our RB's, WR's, and OL will be better than theirs. Powell is a man out there and went for 147 against Sac State his first real game as a RB in college. Having PRich back is going to be huge. Spruce will be able to get open with PRich providing a deep threat. CAU lost three of their best WR's as well. Defense, could be rough but our secondary should be upgraded in a big way (they are letting KC play physical finally) and Hendo will be back and healthy. Safety is where my biggest concern is. DL will be good (relative) if they stay healthy, I've got a lot of faith and trust in Jeffcoat.

MM is not going to lose to a FCS team, hell he beat a FCS team his 1st year at SJSU which is a much worse situation than the one he walked into here. There was no reason to lose to one last year and there won't be this year.

I am surprised in this thread at how few people have specifically called out our glowing, gigantic, depressing failure to recruit and coach up a quality QB the past several years and certainly the past few.

What scares me the most about this game and every other game is not our coaching, nor our overall talent (although there are a handful of games on our schedule where we can't come close to the talent level of our opponents)...If we can't find a starting QB more capable the Jordan Webb out of the 18 on our roster (slight exaggeration) than I think we are in for another very depressing season.

UIW is in San Antonio and played some NAIA schools, including Langston in Oklahoma. They started the team...I don't know, maybe six or seven years ago. Their games are broadcasted on the internet/radio. Pretty good defense, offense isn't great. I think they're the Cardinals...

I'd be willing to bet that at least 90% of their roster wasn't in any of the databases

Keep trying to convince yourself of our superiority if it makes you feel better. The FACTS are that we have lost to 2 FCS teams on our own homefield, and should have lost to a 3rd, and those facts are all that count at the end of the day. Who gives a **** about recruiting rankings when we can't beat these teams on our home turf?

Keep trying to convince yourself of our superiority if it makes you feel better. The FACTS are that we have lost to 2 FCS teams on our own homefield, and should have lost to a 3rd, and those facts are all that count at the end of the day. Who gives a **** about recruiting rankings when we can't beat these teams on our home turf?

I think Tini thought he was helping his argument by listing BCS offers.

I'm convinced in our talent superiority. You're simply not going to convince me that a FCS team has better talent than a BCS team. There are however other factors like coaching, team mentality, etc where we failed in multiple areas like coaching and mentality IMO.

I'm convinced in our talent superiority. You're simply not going to convince me that a FCS team has better talent than a BCS team. There are however other factors like coaching, team mentality, etc where we failed in multiple areas like coaching and mentality IMO.

I think you're right. They may be more developed as a team and even, on average, as individual college players. Raw athleticism? We almost certainly have that advantage.

Could not disagree with this anymore.

Assuming this is what the final depth chart looks like...

Offense
QB
Shane Dillon: Five BCS offers

RB
Christian Powell: Four BCS offers

Z WR
Paul Richardson: Seven BCS Offers

X WR
Nelson Spruce: Two BCS offers

TE
Kyle Slavin: Two BCS offers

LT
Jack Harris: Five BCS offers
*Could also be Alex Lewis*

LG
Kaiwi Crabb: Three BCS offers

C
Gus Handler: Four BCS offers

RG
Daniel Munyer: One BCS offer

RT
Stephane Nembot: Eight BCS offers

FB
Alex Wood

Defense
LDE:
Samson Kofavalu: Six BCS offers

DT:
Nate Bonsu: Ten BCS offers

DT:
Josh Tupuo: One BCS offer

RDE:
Chidera Uzo-Diribe: One BCS offer

Mike:
Addison Gilliam: One BCS offer

Will:
Derrick Webb: Two BCS offers

Sam:
Paul Vigo: One BCS offer

CB-F:
Kenneth Crawley: Twenty-eight BCS offers

S-F:
Terrel Smith: One BCS offer

S-B:
Josh Moten: Two BCS offers

CB-B:
Greg Henderson: One BCS offer

Recruiting Rankings:
2008: #15
2009: #48
2010: #66
2011: #74
2012: #36
2013: #67

Yes there are obviously players gone from those classes but I'm going to guess that CAU has also had attrition, hell a CAU fan said they lost a good amount of players.

The issue isn't talent. We are more talented than any FCS team. Absolute dog **** coaching has been the issue against FCS teams. Yes we were bad last year, but this isn't a BCS team. This isn't a low level D1 team. It's a FCS team. No BCS team is out talented by a FCS team overall. There's a reason why BCS teams win games against FCS teams ~98% of the time. Yes we were dog**** last year but we gain PRich, we won't be playing a **** ton of freshman, and we don't have a DC who can't figure out how to stop a ****ing slant. Now I wait for you to say that recruiting rankings don't matter once they get to campus.

There's also the big issue that players got in Embree's doghouse and could never get out (Moten, Goodson last year) and Embree starting his players over ones from the previous staff which are well documented which helps explain why some players who didn't play last year are now at the top of the depth chart.

I acutually agree with 'Tini on this one. Also, it is difficult for me to believe this is the same program for which I played and will forever be tied. The topic of this forum and the statement it makes on the state of this program still makes me very, very angry. I honestly feel betrayed by what has gone on over the last 10 years.

I don't consider it as we lost to 2 FCS teams. I see it as Hawk and Embree lost to FCS teams. They're gone, those losses are gone with them. If MM loses to an FCS team, stats show he's likely not the right coach either.

BCS HC's simply do not lose to FCS teams and keep their jobs for long, outside of a few outliers.

I am surprised in this thread at how few people have specifically called out our glowing, gigantic, depressing failure to recruit and coach up a quality QB the past several years and certainly the past few.

What scares me the most about this game and every other game is not our coaching, nor our overall talent (although there are a handful of games on our schedule where we can't come close to the talent level of our opponents)...If we can't find a starting QB more capable the Jordan Webb out of the 18 on our roster (slight exaggeration) than I think we are in for another very depressing season.

Eh. Quality QBs have never been CU's strong point. When Kordell, Ty Detmer's little brother, an Anderson and an option QB with no arm (the wonderful to watch DH) are the best guys the school has ever produced, I think we have to realize that we have won in spite of our QB recruiting pretty much forever. If we could get back to what we traditionally HAVE won with, dominant offensive lines and quality running backs, I think we would all be thrilled.

That said...even by our sorry QB standards, things are not good. But we don't need a star at the position to thrive as an offense. Just a competent field general with a good running game would be fine.

I think you're right. They may be more developed as a team and even, on average, as individual college players. Raw athleticism? We almost certainly have that advantage.

Almost any team must have more speed than we do. Our corners give 15 yard cushions and our wideouts can't get open. Coaching can get players in better positions, but it can't make them much faster.

Until we win most of the better athletes are going elsewhere; until we get better athletes we will be lucky to win.

Almost any team must have more speed than we do. Our corners give 15 yard cushions and our wideouts can't get open. Coaching can get players in better positions, but it can't make them much faster.

Until we win most of the better athletes are going elsewhere; until we get better athletes we will be lucky to win.

Correct me if I am wrong...but I think our young DBs are fast as hell. Wright, Crawley, Henderson, etc...very fast. I remember being pleased that we finally were bringing some speed back to the defensive backfield with those guys. But you are right: last year they were giving outrageous cushions to the opposing WRs. But I think this was more because they were getting burned on moves rather than getting killed by not having the speed to run with the men they were guarding. Hopefully, better coaching and a year more experience helps them this year (it can't hurt that our head coach has a ton of DB coaching experience himself...).

Eh. Quality QBs have never been CU's strong point. When Kordell, Ty Detmer's little brother, an Anderson and an option QB with no arm (the wonderful to watch DH) are the best guys the school has ever produced, I think we have to realize that we have won in spite of our QB recruiting pretty much forever. If we could get back to what we traditionally HAVE won with, dominant offensive lines and quality running backs, I think we would all be thrilled.

That said...even by our sorry QB standards, things are not good. But we don't need a star at the position to thrive as an offense. Just a competent field general with a good running game would be fine.

A lot of that was in the days of the Big8 though and you didn't need a pro prospect at QB. In the BigXII and especially now in the Pac12 you need a good QB to win titles. We don't need Andrew Luck, but we need to do better than we have historically if we want to win titles.

Expect the 15 yard cushions to disappear. KC is getting to play physical and that will help.

And I disagree that coaching can make players faster. While it physically won't make them faster, they can play faster on the field. MM has been talking about that a lot since he got here.

A lot of that was in the days of the Big8 though and you didn't need a pro prospect at QB. In the BigXII and especially now in the Pac12 you need a good QB to win titles. We don't need Andrew Luck, but we need to do better than we have historically if we want to win titles.

Well, you may be right about that. Football has definitely changed since we won a national title without a QB who could throw. But, I would suggest if you look at the success of, say, Alabama over the past decade or so, it kinda shows that you don't NEED a high-level QB to win (In the 21st Century they have only had 2 even make it to the NFL, Greg McElroy and Brodie Croyle. Not exactly Joe Namath, either of them).

But, you may be right. I would suggest that even a decent QB at CU might have a shot at being one of our all-time greats (how sad is that?).

BCS teams beat FCS somewhere around 98% of the time

Thanks Nate Silver

I know we suck so I'm not going to beat myself up 5 months before the season starts wondering if we are going to lose to another FCS team. I believe in Coach Mac

The thing I remember most about the Sac State game last year Spruce wide open behind the defense on a slant route and the most pathetic pass I have ever seen from Webb falling about 15 yards behind him.

I remember Powell running wild for the first quarter and then Bienemy just stopped running the ball and went to Air Webb to close out the game. It was a really good decision. :lol:

We may be freaking awful, but we better not lose to central Sacramento state. It's going to be another long season...:huh:

Okay, I've been a big fan of college football for over four decades, and consider myself to be well read when it comes to college football teams.
However, I had to do a triple take (and then had to look it up) when I saw the 2013 schedule for Central Arkansas.
Before heading off to Boulder, the Central Arkansas Bears open their season against ... The University of the Incarnate Word.

The University of Incarnate Word website says that the Cardinals are joining Division 1 this year, and will be playing in the Southland Conference.

Reps to anyone who knows anything about this school ...

I know a graduate of incarnate Word. Smart woman. Dear hunter.
The school is in San Antonio.

Back