What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Central Arkansas

If you have any questions about position players, feel free to ask. I'd love to know how our 6'6" 271lb DE Jonathan Woodard stacks up against the guy who will be blocking him on your line. I'm a 6th grade coach and I know sometimes its about the player matchups more than Xs and Os. And yes, I know that doesn't qualify me as an expert.

He'll be going against Sr. Jack Harris who was a 4* coming out of highschool who has battled injury, if he can stay healthy he's an NFL prospect who goes 6'7" 300. If your coaches flip the line he'll be headed at (So) Stephane Nembot who is a beast of a human but a little raw as a tackle and is at least a half season away from putting it all together, he's solid in the run game not so much in pass blocking, Nembot is also 6'7" and about 10 pounds bigger than Harris.

Can you detail the other suspensions for us and how you see them affecting the game?
I'm not sure that the 4 that are suspended are big playmakers for the Bears. Of course losing on the O-line is bad, but CJ Simon, who only started 3 times last year, isn't going to be a big loss. WR Jacoby Walker, former QB at Arkansas, gives us a pair of good hands that we will not have available in the game though. The rest are not major contributors to the offense or defense yet. The team you face most likely will not be much different than if they were playing IMO.

I'm not sure that the 4 that are suspended are big playmakers for the Bears. Of course losing on the O-line is bad, but CJ Simon, who only started 3 times last year, isn't going to be a big loss. WR Jacoby Walker, former QB at Arkansas, gives us a pair of good hands that we will not have available in the game though. The rest are not major contributors to the offense or defense yet. The team you face most likely will not be much different than if they were playing IMO.

I thought I had read it was 6 suspended did some of them get reduced?

He'll be going against Sr. Jack Harris who was a 4* coming out of highschool who has battled injury, if he can stay healthy he's an NFL prospect who goes 6'7" 300. If your coaches flip the line he'll be headed at (So) Stephane Nembot who is a beast of a human but a little raw as a tackle and is at least a half season away from putting it all together, he's solid in the run game not so much in pass blocking, Nembot is also 6'7" and about 10 pounds bigger than Harris.
Nice! From an FCS fans perspective, hearing those sizes of players on your team gives the impression they are HUGE! Remember, we just came from division II so we are used to undersized guys that have the heart of a bulldog but the bodies weren't a match for even FCS teams most times. I think coach's theory of "bigger, stronger, faster, longer, meaner" etc... is probably something many FBS teams have had in place for years. I can't wait for this game! Are there any Pac-12 message boards Buffs fans prefer?

I thought I had read it was 6 suspended did some of them get reduced?
The suspended starters are running back Willie Matthews and offensive lineman C.J. Simon. Matthews is suspended for one game while Simon will serve a two-game suspension. Other players suspended for two games are wide receivers Jacoby Walker and Wyatt Hikins and offensive lineman Jordan Kersh.---- that's five I believe with Matthews coming back this game.

I don't want to argue with you. Your program is at a place we aspire to be. You are at the top in your division.

Every kid that I have known in a Div II football program was there for a reason. They loved football, but had a flaw that kept them off of the radars of the Div I schools. Academics is historically one of those flaws. Height, weight, speed, etc... also fall on that list. In the case of your roster, there are a bunch of guys that have Division I bodies on their listed heights and weights and speed. That leaves academics. You are a very good football school and come to Boulder with a legitimate chance to win. You are not currently on par on your admission standards with the Pac 12. Sorry, but that is reality.

Have fun in Boulder. I like the purple field, but would hate to play on that thing on a hot humid day!

This isnt always true. We've had players transfer in from places like ole miss, oklahoma, arkansas, houston, southern miss and air force who are good players but just stuck on the depth chart at their schools and want to play right away

This isnt always true. We've had players transfer in from places like ole miss, oklahoma, arkansas, houston, southern miss and air force who are good players but just stuck on the depth chart at their schools and want to play right away
Mr. Hirschman, Nick Hirschman please pick up the white courtesy phone....

When was the last time we talked legitimate match-ups and X's and O's on this site?

When was the last time we talked legitimate match-ups and X's and O's on this site?

Not last year that I can remember, unless you count the endless discussions on why X watched his guy run straight past him, or where O perfected his ole' blocking style.

I have to be confident on what to expect from the team to have that discussion. We're getting there, though. If I have time, I'll write up a "What to Look For" UCA preview in the next couple days.

I think I need to read some older threads to get a feel for what its like on this board. Arkansas State fans are beyond negative while Arkansas fans are arrogant..and a bit funny. Hey, save me some time and just tell me someone on here talks Xs and Os....

I'm most interested in the matchups. I saw someone post that UCA has "tall receivers" but then I saw where their leading receiver last week was only 5'7"? What type of offense does UCA run? It looks like their starting QB only played 1 half last week, and still attempted almost 40 passes. I see the starting RB for UCA is a former Oklahoma recruit. Is there a depth chart somewhere?

First of all, Guy on a Buffalo rules.

Second, I don't understand all the fear of Central Arkansas I'm seeing in this thread. Yes, everything I've read about them tells me that they are a good team and deserve plenty of respect. And I know we Buffs fans have taken on the beaten-dog mentality. We've been abused and mistreated for so long that we still can't fathom that something good might happen for us. Maybe it's all the pre-season kool aid talking, or the kool aid pick me up I had after the csu game, but I think the Buffs will win this game handily. UCA will keep it respectable and close for the first half, but they won't be able to sustain. This is a totally different team than lost to Sac State last year. The players will be focused and intent on winning their first home game this season. The fans will pack into Folsom Field and rock the **** out of it. And the coaches will have a good game plan that will take advantage of the altitude, and make all appropriate half time adjustments.

That being said, if Embree were still the coach I'd share in your fear. But with MacIntyre I think the Buffs will take care of business. Coach Mac will not follow in Hawkins' footsteps and lose to an FCS school in the first home game of the season.

Second, I don't understand all the fear of Central Arkansas I'm seeing in this thread. Yes, everything I've read about them tells me that they are a good team and deserve plenty of respect. And I know we Buffs fans have taken on the beaten-dog mentality. We've been abused and mistreated for so long that we still can't fathom that something good might happen for us. Maybe it's all the pre-season kool aid talking, or the kool aid pick me up I had after the csu game, but I think the Buffs will win this game handily. UCA will keep it respectable and close for the first half, but they won't be able to sustain. This is a totally different team than lost to Sac State last year. The players will be focused and intent on winning their first home game this season. The fans will pack into Folsom Field and rock the **** out of it. And the coaches will have a good game plan that will take advantage of the altitude, and make all appropriate half time adjustments.

That being said, if Embree were still the coach I'd share in your fear. But with MacIntyre I think the Buffs will take care of business. Coach Mac will not follow in Hawkins' footsteps and lose to an FCS school in the first home game of the season.

Call it PTSD. We simply do not know what to expect. The team on Sunday exceeded expectations. Will they continue to do that, or do what they do every year and let us down. Only time will tell

Guy on a buffalo is great!
Let's talkmatchups. Most of this info you can get off our website at ucasports.com. Lastweek against a much weaker opponent UCA was able to start some new players andsome freshmen who likely won't see a ton of playing time against the Buffs.However there is talent on the offensive side of the ball that will help theBears.
Offense:
QB Wynrick Smothersthrew 27/31 last week and really didn't need to as the offense was moving theball pretty good on the ground. Last year he had 3100 passing yards with 449rushing good for 34 TDs. He's a dual threat but not the best we've seen at UCA.(Nathan Brown, now the QB coach at UCA leads that category)
The Oline is good to solid but will be short two playersbut I don't think that will hurt depth much.
TE position has Chase Dixon, 6'5" with good hands. T.Hart isn’t as tall but plays well in blocking.
RBs have Oklahoma Sooner and 4* recruit transfer DanzelWilliams. He’s learning the system but I don’t think it will take him too long.He plays alongside Blake Veasley, 6’ and 205 lbs. Guy hits the line hard and makesa couple of yards out of nothing. Willie Matthews will also be back. He’s agrinder too.
WR is the big position. Dez. Lewis is 6’4” and built inthe same frame as current NFL player Dominique Croom, also of UCA. Long andgreat hands. The guy most of you saw is Jatovious Wilson. 5’9” and 171 lbs. hereminds UCA fans of Jesse Grandy last year. Jesse was a transfer from Ole Missthat was a burner but extremely thin. Wilson has some size on him for afreshman even if he doesn’t weigh much more. Then comes what I call our burners. These two guys have a second gear andsize to go with it. Courtney Whitehead 6’3” and Justin Burdette 6’2”, both FBStransfers are good receivers that make the catches but aren’t flashy in theirgame like Wilson and Lewis.
There are other role players who contribute every game.It’s hard to tell what coach’s game plan is because he spreads the ball aroundand ANYONE eligible to receive just might.
Defense- I’ll admit it’s good. Solid. One of the best in theFCS. Don’t know how that compares to FBS levels, but it works in the FCS.
The dline is good. Have you ever watched a team practiceand play and seen “chemistry” in action? Guys calling out and figuring outoffensive plays and shaking off busted plays to move onto the next chance tohit somebody? This defense forgets quickly. The Defensive ends are a strengthto this team.
The LBs are too. Led by SR Justin Heard, the other LBstend to play smart football. They have speed so if a RB gets away from theline, they are usually there to slow him down.
DBs. Most improved area in my opinion. Last year as fanswe saw some plays that were frustrating to watch because you knew the other teamHAD to throw it to get the first down. This year after watching fall camp andthe first game, I can say the DBs have improved greatly and stick to theirreceivers pretty good. The Buffs might get big yardage against the Bears, butwe’ve become accustomed to seeing that. It’s the score that matters to us.
Since moving to division I, UCA has won over 80% if itsgames. A balanced run/pass game has helped in that I’m sure. Playing teams likeOle Miss, Hawaii, 16X SLC conference champions McNeese State, and Colorado willhelp build the program.
The team is ready. The fans are excited. This isn’t ourbowl game. We want to be in Frisco at the end of the year. Yeah, we’re smallschool, but we want to strive to be bigger. The transition from DII to DivisionI was expensive but a move to the FBS may come in 20 years or so..just notright now. Wish we could get our donors on board at this level. Enjoy the gameBuffs! I know I will!

The o-line missing players may be why we win this game. That lack of quality depth at altitude will effect them big time in the 3rd and 4th quarters. As long as we can contain the QB I think, this will be the key to the game; getting pressure on/sacking the QB. We just need our DB's to be ready for rushed throws.

Shall I remind people that CAU was ranked just barely higher than CSU in the Sagarin Rankings?

CA>>>>>Sac St. That's why

Back