What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Championships thread - #2 men and #10 women cross country teams at NCAA's (Terre Haute, Indiana; Saturday 11/23, 9:15 AM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Thought I'd start this thread now as it was formally announced this afternoon the Buff women have qualified as an at-large selection for this year's NCAA cross country championships, joining the men who auto-qualified yesterday by finishing 2nd at the Mountain Regional. (The thread for the regional races is at https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/ra...women-11-00-am-mt-start-3-men-noon-mt.141855/ .)

The NCAA release that, among other things, confirmed the Buffs' qualifying - https://www.ncaa.com/news/cross-cou...i-mens-and-womens-cross-country-championships

CU Buff release -

Best wishes to both of the teams in Indiana!

Needless to say for anyone who follows, but the Buffs are pretty good and consistent at cross country-

Championships’ Links and info -

Race scheduled start times for Saturday, 11/23 are:
women's race - 9:15 AM MT;
men - 10:15 AM MT.

Host's homepage - https://www.xctownusa.com/ncaa

Coaches' Association homepage -
cubuffs.com Championships notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/20//2019_XC_NCAA_Notes.pdf

List of individual entries (by team) - https://www.flotrack.org/events/6255672-2019-di-ncaa-xc-championships/entries

Live Video (Only available for those with a premium ($) subscription to Flotrack/ Flosports) - https://www.flotrack.org/live/8868
(Just to largely repeat what I believe I ranted last season- VERY DISAPPOINTED the NCAA continue to decide to make this one of if not the only widespread sports (based on number of schools carrying the sport at least) to have its championships behind a relatively small company AND not-cheap paywall that doesn't even offer a pay-per-view option for individual events like this. I can't believe we're talking more than a relatively small dollars difference in net cost between what they're getting from Flosports vs. what some more accessible network (ESPN, NBC Sports, etc.) would pay or cost, or what at would cost to do something like they do for the skiiing championships.)

Live results - http://pttiming.com/events/87931616

Last edited:
Thankfully this late in any sport's season they don't really matter any more (the Championships will give the REAL answer, at least as is perceived going forward and for that day), but the Buff men are #2 (from #3 in the last poll) and the women #10 (from #8) in the latest official (Coaches' Association) rankings.

Just noticed that Flotrack (https://www.flotrack.org/events/6255672-2019-di-ncaa-xc-championships/entries) looks to have the initial rosters for the teams. (These rosters have more than the maximum 7 that will actually run for each team, but I believe those final 7 have to come from these initial lists.)

Buff Women:
WHolly BentSOColorado
WMadison BoremanJRColorado
WElizabeth ConstienFRColorado
WAnnie HillFRColorado
WSage HurtaSRColorado
WKarina MannSRColorado
WRachel McArthurJRColorado
WBailey NockFRColorado
WTabor SchollSRColorado

Buff Men:
MHunter AppletonFRColorado
MJohn DresselSRColorado
MGabe FendelFRColorado
MKashon HarrisonFRColorado
MEduardo HerreraJRColorado
MNoah HibbardFRColorado
MAlec HorneckerJRColorado
MJoe KleckerSRColorado
MPaxton SmithJRColorado
MAustin VancilFRColorado

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note- It looks like there was going to be or was a Pre-Championships press conference this morning with Coach Wetmore and senior John Dressel, but I can't view it either in the below tweet or on the Buff's Periscope account (https://www.periscope.tv/cubuffs/). If it did occur, hopefully any technical issues will be fixed and fans will get to see it sometime before the race.

Cubuffs.com Championships preview is now out-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/20/ncaa-cross-country-championships-saturday.aspx

"
By: Linda Sprouse, Associate SID
Release: November 20, 2019

BOULDER — For the 11th straight year, the University of Colorado cross country program is sending both the men's and women's teams to the NCAA Championships.

Indiana State is once against hosting the championships at LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Ind., this Saturday, Nov. 23. ISU has hosted this meet 12 times in the last 16 years.

"It's a pretty fair cross country course, I think it's one that favors us," senior John Dressel said earlier this week. "We've done really well there in the past, before I came here, so I think, going back to Terre Haute, and knowing the history of success that we've had on that course, I think we can use that as motivation for what we want to do this week going into the race."

The day will start at 9:15 a.m. MST with the women's 6-kilometer race. Then at 10:15 a.m. MST, the men will race their 10k final. An award ceremony will take place following the men's race at approximately 11 a.m. MST.

Since it is the end of November in the Midwest, weather conditions can sometimes play a factor, although every team has to deal with the same conditions.

"Right now, the forecast is wintery, but it doesn't look like there'll be any precipitation laying around," head coach Mark Wetmore said. "So, it'll be cold and breezy and maybe some rain coming down or sleet coming down, depending on what weather forecast you see. We like bad conditions, so it won't bother us."

The CU men enter the championship ranked second in the country and are coming off a great performance at the NCAA Mountain Region Championship where they were the runner-up to Northern Arizona. NAU ran away with the title, recording 21 points to CU's 53. BYU, which is currently third in the NCAA, was third at the meet with 56 points. The Lumberjacks enter the meet as the favorite, having won the last three titles.

"The Northern Arizona men are probably the best team in the country," Wetmore said. "It's hard to judge the strength of teams based upon the regionals because the teams that are already strong tend to hold people out. I think Northern Arizona held a few of their varsity people out last weekend, as did BYU; we did as well, held out one athlete. So, the scores of last weekend are very indicative of what might happen next week. NAU has been untouchable all year long. I think they are a head above most of the rest of the teams, but strange things happen at the NCAA Championships and underdog teams maybe rise up and heavily favored teams struggle, it's happened to us. So, we're still going to race."

At regionals, the men moved from an 8-kilometer course to a 10k course. They only have eight days between regionals and nationals to recover. Dressel says the team is ready.

"For us, going into that race (regionals), it was just to advance and qualify for nationals, so I would say most of our team ran fairly conservative," he said. "Everyone's feeling really good right now, our training this week has been fairly light. We had our last hard session Tuesday for the race, but for me, my legs are feeling really good, so I don't think we'll feel any effect from regionals for this Saturday."

The CU women are in a little different position heading into the championship this season. They are the reigning NCAA Champion but are currently ranked 10th after having a bit of an up-and-down season. Unlike the men, the women do not change their distance in the postseason and will continue to run 6k.

"It's been a rollercoaster season for our women with good weeks and disappointing weeks," Wetmore said. "Some little illnesses along the way and a few people who didn't arrive ready for duty in August. We had a woman have to stop last week with a lower leg injury and we hope that'll be prepared by this weekend. So last Friday was a bit of a disappointment except that we got through. We're patching things up and hope to be a little stronger and deeper this weekend."

The best finish for the women this year was second at Joe Piane. They were third at pre-nationals and placed fourth in their last two meets, Pac-12s and regionals.

No matter what the case, Wetmore has both teams prepared to do their best. After 25 years at the helm of the program, he knows what it takes to be successful.

RETURNING ALL-AMERICANS: CU has several returning All-Americans who will be competing at the championship and look to add another honor to their resume.

3-TIME ALL-AMERICANS: Sage Hurta and John Dressel
2-TIME ALL-AMERICANS: Joe Klecker
1-TIME ALL-AMERICANS: Eduardo Herrera and Tabor Scholl
"

It's race day, and looking like Buffalo weather, with what looks like at least a drizzle now rain going (although supposedly only ~30% chance during the race), and a nice little chill (supposed to be 37 degrees at race-time)!

Last edited:
Due to still being a lot of pack racing early, not that significant, but Buffs in 5th at the 1st (2K) split.

Buffs pretty much living up to their ranking (#10), as they're in 11th at the 2nd (4K) split.

Hope they have a strong finish in them.

And, looking like the women are going to finish 10th.

Finishing 10th in the country after not having 2 of the anticipated top 5 going into the season (transfer Venters and top frosh Covert) being able to compete at all this season, along with Buff's normal #2 finisher Scholl looking to be battling injuries (she was only the 5th Buff finisher today after not being able to finish at regionals)- I'd say a VERY solid effort by the Buff women today.

Note- Extra props to the top Buff finisher Sage Hurta. What an accomplishment of consistent excellence!

Hope all the runners get a little rest, get fully healthy, then start priming for great indoor and outdoor track seasons!

Last edited:
Congrats to the Arkansas women for what looks like a NARROW (6 point) win over BYU:
  • After being considered under-performers many years (they hadn't made a podium in I believe 20 years, and never won on the women's side), they BIGTIME live up to expectations this season.
  • What a powerhouse and varied program, as they end up with what the announcers are calling a "calendar year sweep" for the track and field/ cross country programs, as their women's T&F early this year won both the overall NCAA indoor & outdoor championships.
Congrats also to Pac-12 conference-mate Stanford, who earn a podium spot with a 3rd 4th place finish. (The Buffs ended up being the 2nd Pac finisher, as they upset #4 ranked Washington, who finished right behind them in 11th.)

Last edited:
The men's race is often more jogging to start with, but looks like there have been a couple willing to go for a "no guts, no glory" pacing this year, so it's a little spread out already at the 1st split. Buffs showing in 3rd, just a few points behind favorite NAU, with BYU having the early lead.

BYU holding their lead, but it shrunk a illtle bit, and now the Buffs are tied with NAU for 2nd at the final (8K) split.

Buffs looking like a sure podium finisher, as unofficially they're showing in 3rd, a (brutal) 1 point behind NAU, and over 40 points ahead of 4th place Iowa State. Looks like BYU has pulled the upset for their 1st ever men's championship.

Believe John Dressel joins Sage Hurta in what I assume is a pretty rare "club" of 4-time XC All-Americans!

Note- in a game of inches, I think I saw one of the Buffs let up just a smudge before the finish line, and one runner passed him. That would have given the Buffs a tie in points for 2nd (don't know if they then go to tie breakers to break a tie or not).

With it being NCAA cross country Championships Day, wanted to say congrats to the Adams State women. In a race just completed, they dominate with, unofficially, a ridiculously low 23 points. (They had the top 3 finishers, all 5 of their scorers were top 11 in scoring, and their last (7th) runner was still easily an All-American, finishing in 31st.)

Overall, Colorado representing very well, with Colorado Mines (3rd) and Western Colorado (4th) joining Adams on the podium.

(In the men's race starting around noon, believe Colorado Mines is the favorite going in.)

Article after today's Championships -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/23/cross-country-klecker-leads-buffs-to-3rd-place-finish.aspx

"
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — On a wet, rainy course in Terre Haute, Indiana, senior Joe Klecker led the Colorado Buffaloes to a third-place men's finish as he finished as the national runner-up in 30:37 at the 2019 NCAA Cross Country National Championships.

The CU men scored 164 team points to finish third, just a single point behind Northern Arizona in second while BYU took the team title with 109 total points. On the women's side, Sage Hurta marked her fourth All-America honor as the Buffs finished 10th overall.

NOTES:
-Hurta becomes the second-ever CU Buff woman to earn four All-America honors in her career, joining Shalaya Kipp.
-John Dressel become the fourth CU man to earn four All-America honors
-Alec Hornecker joins an exclusive list: walk-on to All-American
-This is the women's seventh-straight top-10 finish
-The men have finished inside the top-10 for nine-straight years

QUOTES:
HEAD COACH MARK WETMORE
On overall performance:
"That was a good day. Pleased to end up on the podium again. Wouldn't mind one point less. I should've yelled louder out there."
On Joe's run at the finish: "I feel very happy for him. He's such a great guy and a great leader and to finish second here today is an excellent end to his cross-country career."
On John's All-American career:
"Not many men get four-time all American. He had an excellent race today, his best race ever, obviously difficult conditions. But him and Joe overcome the difficulties."
On Alec's walk-on to All-American: "Everywhere I've gone all season people have been asking, 'Who the hell is Alec Horneaker?' and I say, 'He's the guy that knocked on my door and said I'm coming on to your team.' I didn't make it easy for him and he didn't need it to be easy and looked what happened. Alec should be super proud of All-American."
On only one point from IU: "Kesean had his best race of the year, he's been bulletproof since early September. Maybe the mud got him. I haven't seen him yet. He's one of the best freshmen in the country. I can't fault him. We tell him that we've won once by one point, but we'll tell him now that we've gotten third once by one point."
On pre-game advice:
"We tell them to stay calm and everyone is in it so panic the least."
On Sage Hurta's run: "I know she's not happy with that position, but I know deep down she'll still be pretty satisfied with being a four-time All American with it being as rare as it is. Our team wasn't brilliant, but they got around the course. It was a star-crossed year for the women, and I know they think they could've done some things differently since September to be a little further up but we'll talk about that after Thanksgiving."
On Taber's injury: "She had an injury of her lower leg at the regionals eight days ago. Our training staff went into full speed ahead trying to get her patched up. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to run her at all, it was only yesterday that I felt confident she could race fairly well. Today she raced fairly well but not what she should've been based on six weeks ago."
On looking ahead to the future: "On the men's side, John and Joe go out and they have been impeccable leaders so I have to see who will rise up. I wouldn't have thought of this six weeks ago, but it might be Alec. He may be the guy to take the reins and take them to another level. The women's side, we need some leaders to rise up. Sage is completed her eligibility, although she will be here next year for indoor and outdoor track. Taber will be done."
On Joe's time at CU: "The scholarship that he came on with was less than he deserved because he didn't have anything. But he wanted to be a Buffalo so badly that he took less than other teams were offering him with the promise that once people moved out, we'd put him where he belonged. It was fair but it was important that he made the decision to take less in order to come here and prove what a team guy he is. He's a very hard worker. He's a Minnesota guy not looking for easy conditions. His parents were very good endurance athletes. There's no easy way to do what he does, no easy way for them to do what they do. They gave him their work ethic. He brought it to us. We're used to that. He blossomed here."
"
___________________________________________________________________________________

Full results -
Women's - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/23//NCAA_WomensResults.pdf
Men's - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/23//NCAA_MensResults.pdf

Some more interviews-

Note- in a game of inches, I think I saw one of the Buffs let up just a smudge before the finish line, and one runner passed him. That would have given the Buffs a tie in points for 2nd (don't know if they then go to tie breakers to break a tie or not).

Highest placing 6th place runner breaks the tie.

Back