What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charlie Strong: 2012 Colorado Head Coaching Search Profile

I don't understand how it is humanly possible that Strong would come to CU right now. He's got a good thing going at Louisville, already makes what we can offer, already in a BCS conference, has strong southeast ties and if anything would be inclined and likely attracted to an SEC school.

Is there something I am missing?

An Allbuffs membership perhaps.

I don't understand how it is humanly possible that Strong would come to CU right now. He's got a good thing going at Louisville, already makes what we can offer, already in a BCS conference, has strong southeast ties and if anything would be inclined and likely attracted to an SEC school.

Is there something I am missing?

CU probably has a little more cache than Louisville, in spite of our recent implosion. CU is a place where a guy can win a national championship. It'll be much more difficult to do that in Louisville. The competition in the Pac 12, while significant, isn't like what he'd have to face in the SEC. Boulder is a nicer town than Louisville. CU can *probably* pay more than $2.5MM. I suspect that's a number Bohn threw out there in order to make people understand that he's not going to hire on the cheap. If it takes $3MM/year to get Strong, he'll do it. Lastly, if the facilities that we're all hearing rumors about come to fruition, it makes CU a much easier place to recruit to. All of those things could go into his decision to come here. It's not like anybody is claiming CU is a better program right now. That's obviously not the case.

CU probably has a little more cache than Louisville, in spite of our recent implosion. CU is a place where a guy can win a national championship. It'll be much more difficult to do that in Louisville. The competition in the Pac 12, while significant, isn't like what he'd have to face in the SEC. Boulder is a nicer town than Louisville. CU can *probably* pay more than $2.5MM. I suspect that's a number Bohn threw out there in order to make people understand that he's not going to hire on the cheap. If it takes $3MM/year to get Strong, he'll do it. Lastly, if the facilities that we're all hearing rumors about come to fruition, it makes CU a much easier place to recruit to. All of those things could go into his decision to come here. It's not like anybody is claiming CU is a better program right now. That's obviously not the case.
I'd bet Bohn would go hire than $3M if he had to

Auburn and Tennessee would certainly be more attractive than CU. No doubt about it. However, after those two, CU would have to be pretty high up on the list for openings this year. Maybe throw Cal in there as well, although I'm not sure what they can spend, after paying Tedford $7MM to leave.

Auburn and Tennessee would certainly be more attractive than CU. No doubt about it. However, after those two, CU would have to be pretty high up on the list for openings this year. Maybe throw Cal in there as well, although I'm not sure what they can spend, after paying Tedford $7MM to leave.

We're 5th at the lowest on the list of current openings.

I have a feeling this is only going to get my hopes up higher than they should....which will eventually lead to another day where I'm underwhelmed after the actual coach is announced

But for now, I'll keep my fingers and toes and whatever the **** else crossed for this to happen

everyone: this is almost certainly a play by strong to up his salary. Who knows what happens though.

Strong is my top choice by far, but I just don't see him coming here unless the following things are all true:

1. Strong is very unhappy at Louisville;
2. Bohn will go to 3mm/year+ for Strong and provide an increased salary pool for assistants;
3. Bohn guarantees Strong facilities ground-breaking within the next year or so.

I actually think Strong would take the CU job over Auburn for a variety of reasons, but I think our chance to get him was after the 2009 season. Instead, we retained Hawk for another year and Louisville snapped Strong up.

No one has presented a convincing argument why he would come here. Even if we raised the salary more than $2.5m Louisville AD is on record saying he will do whatever it takes to retain Strong and he's already making $2.3m

Therefore I call BS on anyone saying we would pay significantly more than Louisville. Also the overwhelming majority of his time has been spent in that part of the country, that is where his recruiting contacts are, etc.

CU is at best a parallel move right now for him and he is clearly on the radar of the SEC schools which can pay more and are more in his recruiting footprint, etc.

I can certainly see why Bohn would love him but I say no way he takes a CU offer.

What's the point of wanting something you've already obtained?

That's why I said I prefer them..... :smile2:
... :lol:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...gets-new-7-year-contract-louisville-cardinals
Strong's original contract signed Dec. 9, 2009 included a retention bonus of $1.25 million and a $1 million annuity starting at age 65 should Strong still be the Louisville coach on June 30, 2015. Those provisions remain and additional retention bonuses of $1 million in 2016 and $200,000 in 2017 and 2018 were added if Strong remains the coach on June 30 of those years.
A sliding buyout remains in Strong's contract but has been boosted. The maximum buyout was previously $1 million and has been raised to $2.5 million should Strong terminate the contract before June 30, 2012. The minimum buyout jumps to $1 million from $200,000 if Strong were to leave in the last two years of the contract.

hat tip TDbuff. wow. this buyout aint bad.

Last edited:
Is Arky that good of a job? They will always be behind Bama, LSU, and Auburn and the SEC West is a bitch to play in

Arky is a great job. They have the third or fourth largest AD budget in the land IIRC. And they are rarely behind Auburn.

Arky is a great job. They have the third or fourth largest AD budget in the land IIRC. And they are rarely behind Auburn.
But there is not much chance of big success, ie. winning a national title or conference title with LSU and Alabama. They can pay, no doubt about it but in terms of growth I'm not seeing it.

I still think this is a pipedream. That said, however, I am sure that Bohn would absolutely love to hire a highly qualified home run black coach and tell McCartney to go **** himself.

Reed Marks @reedmarks
STRONG rumor from multiple (3) boosters: Offer would be in the range of $14-16 million over 5 years. @footballscoop @MileHighSports
!!!

Please stop ****ing with our emotions. I can't take the pain.

Back