What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charlie Strong - HC USF

Buff_since76

Still a fan...
Club Member
220px-Charlie_Strong_at_LBJ_Library_in_2014.jpg

Organization: University of South Florida

Current Position: Head Coach

Former Positions:

1983–1984Florida (GA)
1985Texas A&M (GA)
1986–1987Southern Illinois (WR)
1988–1989Florida (OLB)
1990Ole Miss (WR)
1991–1993Florida (DE)
1994Florida (AHC/DT)
1995–1998Notre Dame (DL)
1999–2002South Carolina (DC)
2003–2004Florida (DC/DE)
2004Florida (interim HC)
2005–2007Florida (AHC/co-DC/LB)
2008–2009Florida (DC/LB)
2010–2013Louisville
2014–2016Texas
2017–presentSouth Florida
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I wanted him when we hired MacIntyre. I still liked him after things went sideways at Texas if we'd made a change last year. Now I'm starting to question him because USF is falling apart in the 2nd half of this season.

No thanks. UT had special teams that made the riddler look like a genius. Add in the boosters wife thing from Louisville and you have a big no thanks.

Sure would be nice if some of the guys just dropping “hell no” or “nope” in these threads would actually offer an explanation.

History of ruffling the feathers of billionaire big cigars.

Didn’t change the culture at UT for the better despite purging players and attempting to build a winning culture.

I want to like him, but haven’t seen his performance merit the risk.

Primary upside is Tex and Fla recruiting knowledge.

I wanted him when we hired MacIntyre. I still liked him after things went sideways at Texas if we'd made a change last year. Now I'm starting to question him because USF is falling apart in the 2nd half of this season.
This.

I was all on the Strong bandwagon 6 years ago, and I thought it was simply a mismatch of culture (and probably some latent racism) at UT, but his performance at USF has given me a lot of doubt.

Let this be a cautionary tale: the guys we think are so hot today (Lake, Long, etc) could very easily turnnout to be total washouts or just plain average head coaches.

We are taking a risk. No way around it.

I like Strong a whole bunch on a personal level, I met with him every spring and fall when I was coaching and he was at UF. He was great to work with, even though I had no UF quality players. He's had a few opportunities (UL, UT, USF) and hasn't overwhelmed me with his leadership. I would pass on him as head coach for CU at this point.

Latent racism? Have you been to Austin or UT?
I don't think that was directed to Austin or UT, which are both on the progressive side.

I think, based on past conversations, that this was directed more at booster relations and maybe some HS coach relations. It was rumored (an open secret really) that him being a black man married to a white woman was why he wasn't plucked directly from the UF DC spot into a major SEC head coaching job years ago.

Sure would be nice if some of the guys just dropping “hell no” or “nope” in these threads would actually offer an explanation.

Agreed - running from thread to thread to say 'nope' to any candidate that you 've already settled on in your brain is obnoxious and going to set you up for disappointment down the line.

Latent racism? Have you been to Austin or UT?
Have you looked around at the "big cigars" who run UT athletics?

My wife's best friend is a UT alumni (and serious football fan) - she fully agreed with my assessment of race playing into why Strong never really connected with the "big donors" at UT.

Latent racism is, sadly, simply a given for any group of southern, old, powerful and rich men.

Agreed - running from thread to thread to say 'nope' to any candidate that you 've already settled on in your brain is obnoxious and going to set you up for disappointment down the line.
So? Disappointment is a every Buff fans middle name.

Have you looked around at the "big cigars" who run UT athletics?

My wife's best friend is a UT alumni (and serious football fan) - she fully agreed with my assessment of race playing into why Strong never really connected with the "big donors" at UT.

Latent racism is, sadly, simply a given for any group of southern, old, powerful and rich men.
I assume you are referring to Red McCombs. Strong had 3 losing seasons....if the boosters were such evil racists, he would have been fired after losing season #1 or #2.

They only got 2 seasons.
And I'm sure they encountered racism. This is America, after all. But they got fired so fast because they were hired with the thought that this might not be a good idea in the first place and then things ended up being worse than the downside fear.

Strong actually came in with a ton of hype and momentum behind him. Hard to replace a legend, though.

And I'm sure they encountered racism. This is America, after all. But they got fired so fast because they were hired with the thought that this might not be a good idea in the first place and then things ended up being worse than the downside fear.

Strong actually came in with a ton of hype and momentum behind him. Hard to replace a legend, though.

exactly. My point is that if UT is covertly racist for firing Strong after 3 terrible seasons, that must make CU card-carrying Klansmen for firing embree after only 2.

I’m choosing not to get into the racism debate here. I merely was clarifying the time differences.

exactly. My point is that if UT is covertly racist for firing Strong after 3 terrible seasons, that must make CU card-carrying Klansmen for firing embree after only 2.
The environment in which one operates is important. Getting 2 vs 3 years has absolutely nothing to do with racism. If it was overt, he would have never been hired in the first place.

Listen, we'll never sort this out. It's not about anything in the "public record," so it's not really arguable.

But if anyone thinks that almost any large group of old, white, wealthy, texan men wouldn't judge / treat / enable the success of a black man differently than they would a white man, I'd like to talk to them about an investment opportunity.

The environment in which one operates is important. Getting 2 vs 3 years has absolutely nothing to do with racism. If it was overt, he would have never been hired in the first place.

Listen, we'll never sort this out. It's not about anything in the "public record," so it's not really arguable.

But if anyone thinks that almost any large group of old, white, wealthy, texan men wouldn't judge / treat / enable the success of a black man differently than they would a white man, I'd like to talk to them about an investment opportunity.
My only point is that Texas universities have a much better record at hiring minority coaches than most other states, including Colorado. Strong, Sumlin x2 (UofH and aTm), frank Wilson, Everett Withers are a few examples of TX D-1 coaches.

My only point is that Texas universities have a much better record at hiring minority coaches than most other states, including Colorado. Strong, Sumlin x2 (UofH and aTm), frank Wilson, Everett Withers are a few examples of TX D-1 coaches.
Why would you group all Texas Schools together? That is like grouping the entire PAC 12 together to try and prove a point

Back