What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chauncey wants to coach

Just when I thought we could find Chauncey a GM job on the Nuggets, he wants to coach... Nuggets should bring him in as an Assistant if Unseld Jr leaves...

Why not? He's smart on top of the basketball IQ and leadership he displayed as a player. What do you think he's missing?
You can say all of those same things about a lot of coaches (Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Dan Issel). They weren’t good coaches. He doesn’t seem to me like he’d be a good coach. I think he’d be better in the front office.

You can say all of those same things about a lot of coaches (Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Dan Issel). They weren’t good coaches. He doesn’t seem to me like he’d be a good coach. I think he’d be better in the front office.
How often do you see somebody who was a really good player who also turns into a really good coach, seems rare.

All of those guys listed as well as many of the other star players I've seen go into coaching could do things that the normal player struggles to do.

I don't think they can understand how or why their players can't just do what they want them to at the level they expected of themselves. When you take a guy who got there on both talent and exceptional drive then there are two things that the players can't match the coaches expectations on.

Not to say that they can't be a good coach but odds are against it.

It’s not like I don’t want him to succeed. I just don’t think he’d make a good head coach.

Cant you also say those things about other former players like Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr?

Cant you also say those things about other former players like Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr?

You can argue that all three of those guys were role players - they had to know every intricate level of the game to get an advantage. The other guys were all superstars. Not saying it's impossible for a superstar to become a good coach (Larry Bird, Bill Russell) but you tend to see the role guys be better coaches.

That said, Chauncey's pretty damn smart and got by on intelligence more than pure talent (IMO) in the NBA so he could do it. I also think Steve Nash is going to do a damn good job as a coach. This all could be my PG love though.

You can argue that all three of those guys were role players - they had to know every intricate level of the game to get an advantage. The other guys were all superstars. Not saying it's impossible for a superstar to become a good coach (Larry Bird, Bill Russell) but you tend to see the role guys be better coaches.

That said, Chauncey's pretty damn smart and got by on intelligence more than pure talent (IMO) in the NBA so he could do it. I also think Steve Nash is going to do a damn good job as a coach. This all could be my PG love though.

Yeah, I've heard lots of people say HOFers usually make bad coaches. But, as you point out, Chauncey wasn’t a superstar and was a heady player. Statistically speaking, the odds are against him, because they are against everyone. Pro coaches in all sports have a very high failure rate. I would think Doc Rivers might be a good comparison for Chauncey.

Yeah, I've heard lots of people say HOFers usually make bad coaches. But, as you point out, Chauncey wasn’t a superstar and was a heady player. Statistically speaking, the odds are against him, because they are against everyone. Pro coaches in all sports have a very high failure rate. I would think Doc Rivers might be a good comparison for Chauncey.
As I mentioned before part of the issue is when guys just can't do what a superstar could do. As you mention Chauncey was talented but really had his success based on intelligence and getting the most out of his abilities.

The problem for him with that is dealing with players who have the talent to be great but don't have the focus and drive that he had. How does do everything in your power to win Chauncey deal with the JR Smiths of the world.

My two cents: If I were an organiziation, I would not hire a coach that didn't spend at least a few years as an assistant. While I may never have been a HC before, I would presume there are a lot of organizational and personnel aspects to the job that one doesn't get exposed to as a player. They clearly are not insurmountable, but why not hire someone that knows all facets of the job?

You can have the smartest person on a subject, but he/she may not be able to convey/teach the essence of their expertise well. Teaching is a skill. In the NBA, one also has to be able to command the respect of his players, which is also a skill. I have no idea how good of a teacher Chaunc is, but throughout his career, he has always exuded a big-brother aura. He at the least will have the respect of his players when he starts. If he is able to maintain that respect through his teachings, who knows.

My two cents: If I were an organiziation, I would not hire a coach that didn't spend at least a few years as an assistant. While I may never have been a HC before, I would presume there are a lot of organizational and personnel aspects to the job that one doesn't get exposed to as a player. They clearly are not insurmountable, but why not hire someone that knows all facets of the job?

You can have the smartest person on a subject, but he/she may not be able to convey/teach the essence of their expertise well. Teaching is a skill. In the NBA, one also has to be able to command the respect of his players, which is also a skill. I have no idea how good of a teacher Chaunc is, but throughout his career, he has always exuded a big-brother aura. He at the least will have the respect of his players when he starts. If he is able to maintain that respect through his teachings, who knows.

To the bold, I think those concerns are not that big of a deal in the pros. The Coach's job is to coach, not deal with all the organizational stuff. NBA organizations have people who are paid to do that full time. I think the organizational stuff is a much bigger part of the job for a college coach.

As for your 2nd point about teaching, I think you're spot on. I lean towards thinking Chauncey can be very successful at that stuff.

I remember his article on the athletic talking about his career and how he learned to win in the nba. I think if he can get guys to buy in he will be a good coach

Let's revisit this question after the upcoming season since Steve Nash, a former heady PG himself, is the HC of the Brooklyn Nets.

If you read Billups' Wikipedia, you will see that he went through quite a few failures with other teams before he ended up in Detroit. I think that would come in handy as a coach and if Billups isn't a X & O's type of guy, he can find an assistant coach. He could get started in the G-League but why settle for that if Nash can get a coaching job too?

From last month. Billups mentioned in Pacers coaching search..don't know if they hired a coach yet.

If you read Billups' Wikipedia, you will see that he went through quite a few failures with other teams before he ended up in Detroit. I think that would come in handy as a coach and if Billups isn't a X & O's type of guy, he can find an assistant coach. He could get started in the G-League but why settle for that if Nash can get a coaching job too?
You needed to read his Wikipedia to know the beginning of his pro career was tumultuous? He isn’t coaching in the g-league. Full Stop.

I think Billups would be a damn good coach. The guy knows the game. I know there is more to it than that, but I like his chances.

I was wrong.

I guess with Kidd doing it with the Lakers this year it isn't a slight. Probably the best approach to see it from that side for a year or three before being put in charge.

I guess with Kidd doing it with the Lakers this year it isn't a slight. Probably the best approach to see it from that side for a year or three before being put in charge.
He probably had no bites for a HC position. I guess being a European Football analyst would’ve been the better route!

Back