What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cheer up folks

Very few on this team were recruited for a pro style offense.

The players that they are recruiting and by that I mean signing, ​do they have the talent, size and speed to compete and have success on a consistent basis at the BCS level?

love this. NOw the excuse is that we need guys in the pro style offense and ones that play 3-4 defense. :lol:

Next we'll here that the recruits just learned football their senior year of HS. Gotta give them time to learn the game.

We'll be better at QB and OL (hopefully..) and DB next year. Pretty sure we'll be a lot worse at RB, TE, and DL next year. LB and WR could go either way. Not sure what to make of ST, if Gerald Thomas can be a return machine then we should be better.

Well hell, why not just give the F*** up and join the MWC, better yet just go join the RMAC and go D2. We are so sure that things are going to suck and suck forever, why not just give up football and basketball all together and go watch the marching band.

What a bunch of pathetic losers, is this what Hawkins has done to you all?

No argument that this years team sucks, we lack size, we lack speed, we lack talent, and we have a bunch of guys who have accepted and embraced losing. To top it off our AD put this whole mess against one of, if not the, toughest schedule of any team in the country.

I am not predicting a bowl next season, I would in fact be shocked if we won six games next year. You don't take a program that is as down as ours is and turn it around in one year or even two or three years.

What I am predicting is that we will be a better football team next year than we are this year. Yes we lose some key players, Speedy is one of the few guys on the team that has a combination of talent and heart. The guys who will be jrs and srs. next year are probably not as talented as the guys who we have as jrs. and srs. this year, and considering the pathetic bunch we have that is a sad statement.

At the same time we have young players coming in who are a step up in talent from who they are replacing. More importantly we are replacing guys who have accepted losing with a group of guys who are Embrees guys and despite his mistakes Embree has not embraced losing like Hawkins did. As the season has gone on this year we have seen guys play harder and with more emotion, not always to successful ends but they at least look like they care.

Next season we will see a further step in the change in attitude, next season we will see more young players who are equiped to compete athletically with the guys they are lining up across from, next season we will see fewer guys who are mediocre, and accept mediocricy and more options to replace them when they do.

Combine this with a weaker OOC schedule and we should see some progress in the win column. I still expect us to get blown out in some games. We don't and won't have the talent to compete with the USCs, the Oregons, even the Washingtons and Arizona States or the world. At the same time we will be more competitive with other teams near the bottom of the conference and with some confidence built in a second off-season with the coaching staff and some winnable OOC games we will see less of the game is over before it starts mentality. It will also help if we don't have complete decimation of certain positions by injury like we saw in the defensive backfield this season.

Anyone who took a realistic look at this roster before the season and expected much different than we got was fooling themselves, especially considering the injury situation. I would have liked to see them win one or two more games, the Washington State game as an example. At the same time 2-3 years ago Washington State was were we are now and this year they won that game, we didn't. Let's use that game as an example not a complaining point.

As a true Buff fan I have confidence that at some time in the near future we will see a team that is competitive and building for better than competitive status. It won't be instant but it will happen. If you can't believe that then I don't understand why you would remain a fan unless you just want to be one of those people who hang around to complain about things.

I will be behind the program. I will yell in support of what I see as good and I will yell against what I see as failure to improve or do what is needed but I will be behind the program and in my heart I know that in time I will be rewarded. I did the same when Mac's teams were getting beaten like a cheap drum in a nursery school and took my grief for that as well. I will vent, I will wince at seeing my Buffs lose, I will get frustrated. For all that I will not lose faith because if I do I might as well go find something else to do with my time and emotional energy.

The coaching staff has a lot of work to do between now and our being competitive. A lot.

fify.

This years class is an important step but it goes way past that. We have to improve in talent, we have to improve in execution, and we have to improve in attitude. All three are and will be ongoing. Without all three we will be a perennial also ran.

I see signs that this staff will get it done in all three areas but we really won't know for sure for at least a couple of years. In the mean time LOI day will give us a good indication of if we are on the right track.

Well hell, why not just give the F*** up and join the MWC, better yet just go join the RMAC and go D2. We are so sure that things are going to suck and suck forever, why not just give up football and basketball all together and go watch the marching band.

What a bunch of pathetic losers, is this what Hawkins has done to you all?

No argument that this years team sucks, we lack size, we lack speed, we lack talent, and we have a bunch of guys who have accepted and embraced losing. To top it off our AD put this whole mess against one of, if not the, toughest schedule of any team in the country.

I am not predicting a bowl next season, I would in fact be shocked if we won six games next year. You don't take a program that is as down as ours is and turn it around in one year or even two or three years.

What I am predicting is that we will be a better football team next year than we are this year. Yes we lose some key players, Speedy is one of the few guys on the team that has a combination of talent and heart. The guys who will be jrs and srs. next year are probably not as talented as the guys who we have as jrs. and srs. this year, and considering the pathetic bunch we have that is a sad statement.

At the same time we have young players coming in who are a step up in talent from who they are replacing. More importantly we are replacing guys who have accepted losing with a group of guys who are Embrees guys and despite his mistakes Embree has not embraced losing like Hawkins did. As the season has gone on this year we have seen guys play harder and with more emotion, not always to successful ends but they at least look like they care.

Next season we will see a further step in the change in attitude, next season we will see more young players who are equiped to compete athletically with the guys they are lining up across from, next season we will see fewer guys who are mediocre, and accept mediocricy and more options to replace them when they do.

Combine this with a weaker OOC schedule and we should see some progress in the win column. I still expect us to get blown out in some games. We don't and won't have the talent to compete with the USCs, the Oregons, even the Washingtons and Arizona States or the world. At the same time we will be more competitive with other teams near the bottom of the conference and with some confidence built in a second off-season with the coaching staff and some winnable OOC games we will see less of the game is over before it starts mentality. It will also help if we don't have complete decimation of certain positions by injury like we saw in the defensive backfield this season.

Anyone who took a realistic look at this roster before the season and expected much different than we got was fooling themselves, especially considering the injury situation. I would have liked to see them win one or two more games, the Washington State game as an example. At the same time 2-3 years ago Washington State was were we are now and this year they won that game, we didn't. Let's use that game as an example not a complaining point.

As a true Buff fan I have confidence that at some time in the near future we will see a team that is competitive and building for better than competitive status. It won't be instant but it will happen. If you can't believe that then I don't understand why you would remain a fan unless you just want to be one of those people who hang around to complain about things.

I will be behind the program. I will yell in support of what I see as good and I will yell against what I see as failure to improve or do what is needed but I will be behind the program and in my heart I know that in time I will be rewarded. I did the same when Mac's teams were getting beaten like a cheap drum in a nursery school and took my grief for that as well. I will vent, I will wince at seeing my Buffs lose, I will get frustrated. For all that I will not lose faith because if I do I might as well go find something else to do with my time and emotional energy.

Your frustration seems more with cu fans then players and coaches. How do we know these players are better? I would like to see cu players actually reach their highest potential and get coached up. Until I'm given a reason or actually see improvement, there's no way I can honestly say this team will be better next season.

I hope like hell we are and things turn around, the constant losing and looking like we don't belong on the field with most teams has killed any faith or hope to this point.

So if that leaves me out of the "true buff fan club" so be it...

fify.

This years class is an important step but it goes way past that. We have to improve in talent, we have to improve in execution, and we have to improve in attitude. All three are and will be ongoing. Without all three we will be a perennial also ran.

I see signs that this staff will get it done in all three areas but we really won't know for sure for at least a couple of years. In the mean time LOI day will give us a good indication of if we are on the right track.

Let's just be honest for a minute. You will give Embree the benefit of the doubt on LOI day, no matter what transpires between now and then.

Your frustration seems more with cu fans then players and coaches. How do we know these players are better? I would like to see cu players actually reach their highest potential and get coached up. Until I'm given a reason or actually see improvement, there's no way I can honestly say this team will be better next season.

I hope like hell we are and things turn around, the constant losing and looking like we don't belong on the field with most teams has killed any faith or hope to this point.

So if that leaves me out of the "true buff fan club" so be it...

My level of frustration with the players, especially those players who are supposed to be our "leaders" the senior class is enough to melt glass right now, but I put most of that on the prior coaching staff.

The current staff has made mistakes as well. They are learning on the job and dealing with an almost impossible situation but they could do better as well. I do give them some slack because I see even highly experienced staffs with immensly more talent make mistakes, it is part of the deal. How many people in Okie Light land aren't looking at some of the decisions Gundy and Co. made Friday night with a potential trip to the MNC game on the line.

I base a lot of my hope on some of our young guys playing above their heads this year. As bad as our defensive backfield has been the bright spot has been Henderson, a true frosh. He has been put in some impossible situations but I have seen major improvement from Ray Polk, he still has a lot of improvement to make but he is getting much better. I could name some others as well but won't, improvement unlike we saw with the prior staff.

In a different thread I outlined the significant improvement in recruiting I saw in last years hastily put together class. Will they be world beaters? Who knows but they look pretty decent so far as a group and the majority at least had other AQ offers, not something that could be said for what Hawkins was bringing in. Same with our commits so far. If other AQ schools think they can be contributors that's a step up from the wait for what's left and hope for sleepers mentallity we had the last 3 years of Hawkins (and actually with a lot of his kids from the outset.)

I am frustrated with the program but I am also frustrated with the fans. This isn't fantasy football where you redraft each year and can go from basement to penthouse in a season. There is a reason they call it building a program. This is a program that needs to be rebuilt from the foundation up. Panic stricken fire em all because they lost games they should have lost anyways responses don't help anyone.

The fans have a right to expect performance, they have a right to expect a solid effort and improvement. They also have a responsibility to give the staff a reasonable time to get there, less than one year considering where we were last year isn't reasonable.

Our coaching could be better but it is immensly better than we have had and they deserve at least a reasonable chance to have time to do their jobs. If it isn't happening in year three then I will be in the choir calling for changes.

Let's just be honest for a minute. You will give Embree the benefit of the doubt on LOI day, no matter what transpires between now and then.

No, if we lose a substantial number of our commits and fail to add a number of quality prospects I won't give the benefit of a doubt in that case. They have to show steady progress and I think our class so far shows that. I am expecting to see at least a continuation. If this turns into another Hawkins class then I will have my doubts and understand those who also have those doubts.

I also expect to see a solid spring practice with more of a team identity established and reasonable but higher expectations set. In short I expect to see steady progress, not only with our upcoming class but in the program in general.

What I don't expect to see is a top 15 recruiting class and a bowl next year or similar unreasonable expectations at this point in the program.

We have to get better but sometime getting better still doesn't mean you are that good yet, it is a process.

It would be wrong to place blame on the CU fans who have done their part buying tickets, attending road games, and showing interest a program that has been residing in the cellar of the conferences.

It's also misguided to place blame on just Hawk or Embree.

The culture of complacency starts with Benson, the regents, DiStephano and Bohn. The foundation for a winning culture has to be lead from the top.

It's clear that the CU fans are hungry for a winning program and will support those who are committed to getting CU back to the promised land.

Last edited by a moderator:
c'mon skid? real sports that make real news

Have you ever ran 100 miles in a week, and clocked a sub 30 minute 10k, and or qualified for the Olympics?

The athletes CU is sending to compete in the NCAA national championship cross country meet have. They are the most elite athletes on campus. Most successful, too.

To deny that would be disingenuous.

CU cross country deserves more respect on this particular weekend.

What I don't expect to see is a top 15 recruiting class and a bowl next year or similar unreasonable expectations at this point in the program.

We have to get better but sometime getting better still doesn't mean you are that good yet, it is a process.

You keep throwing this stuff out there every time the topic of recruiting expectations comes up. I have not seen anyone on this site talk about expecting a top 15 class. Not one poster.

So what kind of recruiting class will you see as progress? Top 50? 40? 30? 20?

Well we're not even a top 100 team right now, so a top 100 recruiting class should be progress :lol:.

In all honesty though... if Embree can pull a class with guys who can all contribute, build some depth and have little attrition.... It will make a world of difference. Rankings do matter, but for a team as bad as us they don't matter as much, as long as we get Embree type of players, contributors and players with winning attitudes. Sorry to break it to everyone but the top 25 classes don't happen when you're 2-11, unless Nick Saban is hired in the offseason.

Hawkins burned the program to the ground. We have a good bunch of recruits coming in, the staff will have another year under their belt working with these kids, and guys coming back will have another year of experience. We also won't have 13 games in 13 weeks with 2 horrible roadies - 6 hour flight to Hawaii, and an unwinnable game at Ohis St - and we'll have a year in the conference under our belts so a better idea of what to expect. Anyone who expected the new staff to come in with 3 weeks to recruit, a brutal schedule, and lots of guys whose only D1 offer was Colorado to win immediately is an idiot. We'll be better next year, and far better the following year. This isn't basketball where one or two guys can completely turn your program around.

You keep throwing this stuff out there every time the topic of recruiting expectations comes up. I have not seen anyone on this site talk about expecting a top 15 class. Not one poster.

Just curious...how do you expect the staff to get in the top 15? We are not getting ahead of Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon - that's 11. USC and Penn State would be twelve and thriteen, but limited schollly's drop tUSC into next tier (and PSU off the map). That leaves 4 where we have to beat out the aforementioned USC plus Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, Okie State, Texas A&M, TCU, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Nebraska who are all having a much better year/decade than CU. Also could throw in Stanford on that list. Udub is tough to beat too. Cal has been recruiting lights out for some reason I can't figure out.

Look, I'm all for high expectations, but I think top 35 is a more realistic target. Not to be a dick, but BB please enlighten me on how Embree is supposed to beat the above named programs into a top 15 class.

Just curious...how do you expect the staff to get in the top 15? We are not getting ahead of Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon - that's 11. USC and Penn State would be twelve and thriteen, but limited schollly's drop tUSC into next tier (and PSU off the map). That leaves 4 where we have to beat out the aforementioned USC plus Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, Okie State, Texas A&M, TCU, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Nebraska who are all having a much better year/decade than CU. Also could throw in Stanford on that list. Udub is tough to beat too. Cal has been recruiting lights out for some reason I can't figure out.

Look, I'm all for high expectations, but I think top 35 is a more realistic target. Not to be a dick, but BB please enlighten me on how Embree is supposed to beat the above named programs into a top 15 class.

Boulder buff never said top 15...

I do not expect a top 15 class, sorry if my post was not clearer. I was trying to point out to MtnBuff that he brings up that mythical expectation pretty much every time this topic comes up and no one on Allbuffs has said anything of the sort.

My expectation for the 2012 class continues to be a top 30-35 class.

I do not expect a top 15 class, sorry if my post was not clearer. I was trying to point out to MtnBuff that he brings up that mythical expectation pretty much every time this topic comes up and no one on Allbuffs has said anything of the sort.

My expectation for the 2012 class continues to be a top 30-35 class.

In all honesty, if this staff can pull a top 35 class after the year we just had, we should throw a parade.

Very few on this team were recruited for a pro style offense.

Weak excuse IMO - no matter what offense we run, we still need players who can throw, block, catch, and run fast - we are severely lacking in all these areas. And by the way, all these players who were recruited to run a different offense - they sucked at that offense too.

Back