What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chiaverini and Leavitt

Your handle should tell you why Chev is staying
Good point, and S2S said it as well... This is personal to Chev. I don't think he has any intentions of using this gig with CU as some sort of 1-2 year stepping stone to bigger and better things. One day, that time may come for him to leave CU with no further upward mobility, but it is not this day!

This narrative is one of the strangest ones among Buff fans, imo. It was all over Howell's chat this week, too. Week One 44-7 win over CSU and people talking about replacing the HC with the DC so that the program doesn't lose the DC. It's bizarre.

Neither had Walters he just had a bigger name. Of course MM is going to say he found Tumpkin and to do otherwise would be idiotic . George from his previous tenure at CU knows what it takes to build a program, it's not beyond belief that he didn't have some input as to the letting go of Baer or the hiring of Leavitt purely from a recruiting standpoint. I'll even go out on a limb here, even if MM gets his 6 wins this year, if the defense is largely responsible for 2-3 of them, MM could still lose his job. Who from an AD's perspective are you going to want to pay 2.2Mil to? MM or Leavitt?

Neither had Walters he just had a bigger name. Of course MM is going to say he found Tumpkin and to do otherwise would be idiotic . George from his previous tenure at CU knows what it takes to build a program, it's not beyond belief that he didn't have some input as to the letting go of Baer or the hiring of Leavitt purely from a recruiting standpoint. I'll even go out on a limb here, even if MM gets his 6 wins this year, if the defense is largely responsible for 2-3 of them, MM could still lose his job. Who from an AD's perspective are you going to want to pay 2.2Mil to? MM or Leavitt?

You reward your head coach for rebuilding a team. A process that has taken 4 years, in which the DC has only been a part of it for 2. The HC gets the credit. Always.

^^^I totally agree from fans perspective, but from an AD's they see things from the inside out. This is just my thought, MM may have been the right man at the right time to turn things around after that he may not be the right man to take it further.

^^^I totally agree from fans perspective, but from an AD's they see things from the inside out. This is just my thought, MM may have been the right man at the right time to turn things around after that he may not be the right man to take it further.

The AD not rewarding a HC for team improvement is bad for business. If the AD doesn't support a HC that creates a successful team then who is he going to support? Once improvement stops, that is when you look for a new HC. Not until then.

With his connections in the South Leavitt aside from ksu job would be open to any in that part of the country. I hate to think it but after working with Chev for a year he may see him as a good potential OC and offer him the job to come with him & I wouldn't blame Chev for taking the opportunity to further his career. Tumpkin is a given to go, thus the three best assistants and arguably best recruiters would be gone in one shot, not including some potential recruits.
WTF?

Buff fans' brains work in mysterious ways. I don't get the desire to give all credit to anyone but the HC while he has to take all the blame.

It's so similar to how we treat the QB, it's like something is fundamentally wrong about how we approach the gam...

Oh.

This narrative is one of the strangest ones among Buff fans, imo. It was all over Howell's chat this week, too. Week One 44-7 win over CSU and people talking about replacing the HC with the DC so that the program doesn't lose the DC. It's bizarre.
Extremely all things considered, interesting though for a Thursday.

The national perception of the job MacIntyre is doing is so much higher than with local fans. We don't appreciate what we have.

One very simple thing to consider is this: if any coach were to leave the staff for a new opportunity, do you trust MacIntyre to make a good hire?

I absolutely do. And staff management is usually the key indicator that the program is being very well run.

What kind of world do we live in where Luke is the most even keeled, reasoned response in a thread like this?
Bizzaro World. It's like that "Stranger Things" show. We've gone to the upside down place.

The national perception of the job MacIntyre is doing is so much higher than with local fans. We don't appreciate what we have.

One very simple thing to consider is this: if any coach were to leave the staff for a new opportunity, do you trust MacIntyre to make a good hire?

I absolutely do. And staff management is usually the key indicator that the program is being very well run.
Yeah. Go talk to the other Pac 12 coaches and ask them their opinion of what Mac is doing here.

I don't want Levit to leave, but think Mac will find someone good. Especially if we have a great D that make JMFL a hot commodity. DMFC I think is here for the long haul. Hopefully will be full time OC in a year or two and then if need be an AHC with MM. I think if given the opportunity DMFC will stay here forever. He might love CU more than I do. Maybe.

Another example of CU fan perceptions is on Lindgren.

Let's say that CU averages over 40 points per game this season and sets all sorts of offensive records. My perception is that most Buff fans will credit Chev, believe that the performance was in spite of Lindgren, and believe it would be a good thing if Lindgren got hired away to a G5 HC job so Chev could take over as sole OC & hire a QB coach.

Let's say that CU averages over 40 points per game this season and sets all sorts of offensive records. My perception is that most Buff fans will credit Chev, believe that the performance was in spite of Lindgren, and believe it would be a good thing if Lindgren got hired away to a G5 HC job so Chev could take over as sole OC & hire a QB coach.
guaranteed.

The crux for me, and respectfully I don't without the input of George that will never be known publicly to tow the company line.

And he more than likely will be given the cred because this is his first yr on the job and with the noticeable difference in the receiving corp after one game plus the success he's associated with at TT.

RG's sole responsibility in the hiring of assistant coaches should be providing the Head Coach all necessary/available resources to secure the assistants the head coach wants to hire. Anything more than that is micro managing and a direct hindrance to the authority of the head coach. Rick George should absolutely not be getting involved with telling MM who to hire.

And he more than likely will be given the cred because this is his first yr on the job and with the noticeable difference in the receiving corp after one game plus the success he's associated with at TT.

For sure. And I would give Chev a lot of credit. But we seem to have quickly forgotten how Lindgren's offensive game planning & game management kept the 2014 team in a lot of games with a team that had no business (youth & lack of talent) being close to competitive against that year's Pac-12.

RG's sole responsibility in the hiring of assistant coaches should be providing the Head Coach all necessary/available resources to secure the assistants the head coach wants to hire. Anything more than that is micro managing and a direct hindrance to the authority of the head coach. Rick George should absolutely not be getting involved with telling MM who to hire.
We differ on this in that after raising all of the funds he has knowing full well that football pulls the AD's train not including his background at CU..I find it hard to believe that he hasn't had some input. He is after all the one that writes the checks.

We differ on this in that after raising all of the funds he has knowing full well that football pulls the AD's train not including his background at CU..I find it hard to believe that he hasn't had some input. He is after all the one that writes the checks.
offering advice is much different than going out and selecting assistants that the head coach should be hiring.

I do think RG had some influence on bringing Chev to Boulder. I'm not saying he was micro managing the situation and telling MM he had to hire him or anything, but I'm pretty sure Chev and RG are fairly close. I'm fine with Rick George being part of an interview process for prospective assistant coaches, to give a second (or third or fourth) opinion. I also think it's important for the prospective assistant coach to hear the vision and support for the football program directly from the AD's mouth.

I do think RG had some influence on bringing Chev to Boulder. I'm not saying he was micro managing the situation and telling MM he had to hire him or anything, but I'm pretty sure Chev and RG are fairly close. I'm fine with Rick George being part of an interview process for prospective assistant coaches, to give a second (or third or fourth) opinion. I also think it's important for the prospective assistant coach to hear the vision and support for the football program directly from the AD's mouth.
The talk I remember was that Lance Carl had been a big reason we got Chev here more than anything.

From what I understand, it is a little more than that. Lance Carl is pretty much AD for football to discuss things with HCMM on a constant basis. Within that, it appears to be a collaborative effort on strategic planning for the program with HCMM having the ultimate authority and responsibility for his staff (as it should be, since HCMM is the guy -- not Carl or George -- who will get fired if the team fails to win). The AD is engaged, but it's supportive rather than dictatorial. That is a healthy setup. What some people assume is going on or wish was going on (i.e., HCMM being a figurehead who is being told who to hire and fire) would be an absolutely horrible way to run an athletic department. If that was going on, RG would need to be fired.

What kind of world do we live in where Luke is the most even keeled, reasoned response in a thread like this?
Pretty ****ing crazy one probably. When playing, I was taught to play in the moment, don't listen to rumors or anything else. I guess I still have that attitude , plus I get more clarity everyday.

Back