What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chiaverini and Leavitt

RG's sole responsibility in the hiring of assistant coaches should be providing the Head Coach all necessary/available resources to secure the assistants the head coach wants to hire. Anything more than that is micro managing and a direct hindrance to the authority of the head coach. Rick George should absolutely not be getting involved with telling MM who to hire.
That the way it is supposed to work unless your HC does not have the connections and charisma to get it done.

I already said this but he's the Wade Phillips of college football! Except for the fact that he was actually a pretty good HC once upon a time. So basically he's just a really really good DC, that we hope is not wanting to get back into the HC game.
OK, you get credit for bringing it up first then. Dammit!

You are dead wrong. I know it for a fact - dead cold fact - that RG recruited and hired Chiv. And I suspect he did the same for JL.

Fact huh? Got a source? Because if we have our AD actually stepping in and going over the coach's head to pick/hire assistants, we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

I have a question. If CU were to poach a coach (poetic) from another school, who would contact the other school for permission? The AD or the HC?

Why is it a problem? Just asking
That is the definition of micromanagement. It can lead to a toxic employee/employer relationship. It undercuts the authority of the head coach. It makes it tough to hire top notch coaches if the perception is that the AD is going to be picking your assistants for you.

If that is what is happening then RG needs to fire the HC, step down as AD, and coach the team. His responsibility is the smooth running of the AD and leveraging the department's resources to help all their coaches. The football team is the HC's responsibility.

That is the definition of micromanagement. It can lead to a toxic employee/employer relationship. It undercuts the authority of the head coach. It makes it tough to hire top notch coaches if the perception is that the AD is going to be picking your assistants for you.

If that is what is happening then RG needs to fire the HC, step down as AD, and coach the team. His responsibility is the smooth running of the AD and leveraging the department's resources to help all their coaches. The football team is the HC's responsibility.
Thats a bit extreme don't ya think?

RG is a smooth operator. I wouldn't worry about it.

The Dream. $2,000,000 each year for 4 years and going for more.

Thats a bit extreme don't ya think?

RG is a smooth operator. I wouldn't worry about it.

The Dream. $2,000,000 for 4 years and going for more.

I am all for the head coach and the AD having a good relationship and working together to make the football team successful. That doesn't mean he should be picking and choosing assistants and hiring them because his HC won't.

I am all for the head coach and the AD having a good relationship and working together to make the football team successful. That doesn't mean he should be picking and choosing assistants and hiring them because his HC won't.

Who says his HC won't. That is a different discussion. If his HC doesn't want that guy and the AD "forces it on him" I would suggest the HC is not long for the job. Now if the HC was winning 10 games a year then well a different subject again.

Who says his HC won't. That is a different discussion. If his HC doesn't want that guy and the AD "forces it on him" I would suggest the HC is not long for the job. Now if the HC was winning 10 games a year then well a different subject again.
Won't or can't as Hawg is suggesting. Basically the same thing.

I also don't doubt that George & Carl forced staff changes after last season. That happens all the time all over the country. And good job keeping that info from being played out in the papers if that is, in fact, what happened. Too many programs screw up by airing that stuff to the public.

But it's a big jump from that + suggesting some candidates for the positions to dictating who the HC has to bring onto staff.

Also, as I understand it, David Gibbs was the preferred DC candidate that our AD was favoring. In the interview process, it was not a good fit based on personality and the control that Gibbs wanted (autonomy over the defense). So MacIntyre hired Leavitt, who seemed like an excellent fit. Turned out to be a good hire.

What's your source? Credibility is important here. Otherwise, we just have to consider you another rando.
I'm not going to reveal my source until after its all over, meaning MM is gone.

Here's a piece of credibility. I've been on the field for many Buff games. I broke EB leaving on another board.

I also don't doubt that George & Carl forced staff changes after last season. That happens all the time all over the country. And good job keeping that info from being played out in the papers if that is, in fact, what happened. Too many programs screw up by airing that stuff to the public.

But it's a big jump from that + suggesting some candidates for the positions to dictating who the HC has to bring onto staff.

Also, as I understand it, David Gibbs was the preferred DC candidate that our AD was favoring. In the interview process, it was not a good fit based on personality and the control that Gibbs wanted (autonomy over the defense). So MacIntyre hired Leavitt, who seemed like an excellent fit. Turned out to be a good hire.
How did MM find JL? Or did he? That position was open for a long time without interviews or results.

I'm not going to reveal my source until after its all over, meaning MM is gone.

Here's a piece of credibility. I've been on the field for many Buff games. I broke EB leaving on another board.

I was on the field before,during, and after every home game while I attended school. Just because you were on the field doesn't mean anything.

To think Mac didn't pick and hire Leavitt himself, you'd have to be a conspiracy theorist, a theory somewhere between not landing on the moon and the holocaust not happening.

For Mac to not have hired him, it would have to be a combined effort from everyone to keep up the facade and make up stories and feelings to suggest that he did. Leavitt remarked on how Mac was what got him here, and what kind of man he was, etc. There was a clear connection to build upon, so it would have to be quite a coincidence for RG to force a hire that also happened to be a coach who went to Mac's church?

Last edited:
How did MM find JL? Or did he? That position was open for a long time without interviews or results.

I don't know. I do know they sort of knew each other because they went to the same church when MacIntyre was at SJSU and Leavitt was at SF. Mac recruited Pat Willis & then Willis's coach with the 49ers was Leavitt. I don't know of any connections between anyone else at CU and Leavitt prior to him coming here. Could have been. Could have been that there was an open search led by the AD's office, which wouldn't be unusual either.

It would very much be getting into the realm of credulity, though, from the anti-MacIntyre "it's all RG" crowd when I hear them saying that MacIntyre was told that he is hiring Leavitt. There doesn't seem to be a reason why anyone in the AD would have been that pro-Leavitt or any evidence that RG is a micromanager.

That appears to be a bit of a stretch on your part.

Back