What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Kelly fired

I think some of the GM stuff is overblown with Kelly, his biggest issue seems to be his leadership and how he rubs players in the NFL the wrong way.

He believed he could just plug and play his guys at the skill positions and flopped. He got rid of good receivers like Maclin and Jackson and a very good RB in McCoy and replaced them with guys who flopped.

Seems like more of an NFL player problem who don't like to be told what to do. He never had any issues in college like this.

Saban figured that out with his own personality and where he needed to be. College allows these coaches to turn over about 1/4 of the roster every year. Players have very little power or money, so they've got to keep their mouths shut and do what they're told. In the NFL you're dealing with millionaire grown men and have to treat your players more as peers you are leading when you're the HC. Very different dynamic.

He believed he could just plug and play his guys at the skill positions and flopped. He got rid of good receivers like Maclin and Jackson and a very good RB in McCoy and replaced them with guys who flopped.

Philly wanted Maclin but he went home, he is from Missouri. I agree with Jackson but it's not like McCoy is lighting it up this year and he obviously did not like Chip and didn't listen to him.

Probably, yeah. I believe he can coach, but it might easily been one of those cases where the guy´s a better coordinator than HC.
He might be the first one to agree with you. Certainly has seemed content to be OC under the hoody.

Saban figured that out with his own personality and where he needed to be. College allows these coaches to turn over about 1/4 of the roster every year. Players have very little power or money, so they've got to keep their mouths shut and do what they're told. In the NFL you're dealing with millionaire grown men and have to treat your players more as peers you are leading when you're the HC. Very different dynamic.

I remember Billups making a similar comment about playing for Patino when he was coaching the Celtics(?). Pro players dont like to be yelled at or told what to do.

Philly wanted Maclin but he went home, he is from Missouri. I agree with Jackson but it's not like McCoy is lighting it up this year and he obviously did not like Chip and didn't listen to him.

Philly had the money to make Maclin want to stay and the guy they picked out of USC in the first has 21 catches. His big FA tickets (Murray and Maxwell) flopped as well as his handpicked QB Bradford.

Shady´s had the injury bug, but is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and has ~1,200 yards from scrimmage.

The guy thinks scheme trumps talent.

Philly had the money to make Maclin want to stay and the guy they picked out of USC in the first has 21 catches. His big FA tickets (Murray and Maxwell) flopped as well as his handpicked QB Bradford.

Shady´s had the injury bug, but is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and has ~1,200 yards from scrimmage.

The guy thinks scheme trumps talent.

They didn't really have the money though. The Eagles have had a pretty bad cap situation the last couple years and don't want to pay certain players a ton of money they don't have. I have no issue with not paying high dollar for wide receivers. It's not that he doesn't want these players, it's that they cannot afford all of them. Bill B. gets applauded for moves like this he just has the best quarterback in the NFL to trump a lot of those moves.

They didn't really have the money though. The Eagles have had a pretty bad cap situation the last couple years and don't want to pay certain players a ton of money they don't have. I have no issue with not paying high dollar for wide receivers. It's not that he doesn't want these players, it's that they cannot afford all of them. Bill B. gets applauded for moves like this he just has the best quarterback in the NFL to trump a lot of those moves.

Kelly got rid of a ton of players to create a gigantic amount of cap space. The Eagles´ cap space, that they created by parting with some players, was one of the main offseason stories.

Like McDaniels in Denver, I think Kelly thought scheme trumped talent and he could get by playing journeymen in the skill positions and use the money saved there elsewhere.

Kelly got rid of a ton of players to create a gigantic amount of cap space. The Eagles´ cap space, that they created by parting with some players, was one of the main offseason stories.

Like McDaniels in Denver, I think Kelly thought scheme trumped talent and he could get by playing journeymen in the skill positions and use the money saved there elsewhere.

Yep. And cared a lot more about whether a player was 100% bought in to the Chip Kelly way than he cared about whether a player could be a playmaker. I think the biggest thing he didn't get is that you've got to treat your stars, your veterans different, and your player NFLPA rep with a different level of respect than he is used to in the coach-player relationship.

The NFL is tricky. You get these guys that put up amazing numbers in their first contract. Wherever they sign their second contract more often than not they underperform. Except for a few that become All Pro. Its a tremendous risk that seems hard to predict outcomes on.

The only guy that seemed good at being GM and Head Coach was Bill Parcels. You always knew that he could and would cut you the moment he had a shadow of a doubt about you as a player.

I'm not saying Chip didn't make mistakes as a GM, just that a lot of it is overblown. Philly wanted Maclin so they didn't let him go. McCoy I could definitely see but it is hard to commit so much money to a running back these days and rumors are that Jackson needed to go. Never understood the Foles for Bradford move but obviously Foles was nothing special. To me the biggest issue was his leadership and how he treated his players in the NFL the same he did in college.

Saban also has since said had they landed a decent QB he'd have stayed. He all but said your ****ed in the NFL without a franchise QB and his personell team couldnt land one so he bailed.

He's frequently intimated he'd take a colts/titans type job where they have a QB but not much else.

Saban also has since said had they landed a decent QB he'd have stayed. He all but said your ****ed in the NFL without a franchise QB and his personell team couldnt land one so he bailed.

He's frequently intimated he'd take a colts/titans type job where they have a QB but not much else.
I've already heard his name mentioned with the Colts.

I think that's hot air. He knows damn well that NFL teams that already have a franchise QB are winning and aren't out shopping for a new HC. So very, very unlikely to happen. Especially unlikely that if it did happen that the franchise would target a college coach for the situation.

I think that's hot air. He knows damn well that NFL teams that already have a franchise QB are winning and aren't out shopping for a new HC. So very, very unlikely to happen. Especially unlikely that if it did happen that the franchise would target a college coach for the situation.

Titans
Colts

Either could/would do it right now - he's saying it right now.... Pete Carrol opened the door for NFL teams to re-tread previously failed college coaches. Since it is no longer a new idea and worked out once NFL teams will now be more open to it.

The NFL is tricky. You get these guys that put up amazing numbers in their first contract. Wherever they sign their second contract more often than not they underperform. Except for a few that become All Pro. Its a tremendous risk that seems hard to predict outcomes on.
It's because most of the time, the teams that pay out those massive FA contracts are bad teams.

Titans
Colts

Either could/who do it right now - he's saying it right now.... Pete Carrol opened the door for NFL teams to re-tread previously failed college coaches.

I suppose. I don't know why the Colts would fire Pagano, though. That's not exactly a great roster and they've been able to stay around .500 with backup QBs playing. Sounds like they're going to get rid of him for some reason.

But are either of those teams even thinking about Saban?

I suppose. I don't know why the Colts would fire Pagano, though. That's not exactly a great roster and they've been able to stay around .500 with backup QBs playing. Sounds like they're going to get rid of him for some reason.

But are either of those teams even thinking about Saban?

Irsay might clean house completely. Their GM and Pagano hate each other and Pagano actually might be out of contract. Bad situation there.

I don't get all the Chip Kelly love. I think he will be a disaster at most schools - he is a good coach but his personality is very alienating. He would have not worked out at USC - you have to be a media darling there. He would flop at CU - his autocratic style would be his downfall. The Duck fans don't even want him back. At Oregon he took over an established program that had unlimited resources (or close to it). Oregon has continue to do well in his absence.

I don't get all the Chip Kelly love. I think he will be a disaster at most schools - he is a good coach but his personality is very alienating. He would have not worked out at USC - you have to be a media darling there. He would flop at CU - his autocratic style would be his downfall. The Duck fans don't even want him back. At Oregon he took over an established program that had unlimited resources (or close to it). Oregon has continue to do well in his absence.

You don't get the love for a guy that went 46-7 over four years? Come on.

You don't get the love for a guy that went 46-7 over four years? Come on.
You are right. He had a great record at Oregon and I think he is an offensive innovator but I still believe his personality is a Fatal flaw for him as a college HC unless he got into a good setup where he was successful right out of the box.

I've been a Chip Kelly fan ever since Oregon dropped that road game at Boise State, a Duck fan sent Kelly an email bitching about the cost of the road trip, and Kelly cut him a personal check to refund his money. Pure allsomeness right there. (y)

He made a statement to the media this fall that he wanted Brees but team docs overruled him. <insert jerkoff gif>

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

If you're a program with 10 losing seasons and dismal recruiting, you put 5 million on the table for Chip Kelly within the hour.

You are right. He had a great record at Oregon and I think he is an offensive innovator but I still believe his personality is a Fatal flaw for him as a college HC unless he got into a good setup where he was successful right out of the box.
I think people forgive personality flaws with that kind of record. I would. The flaws didn't seam to slow down recruiting.

Just curious but what do you base that on? I know the local media has no love for him and doesn't really want him back but my impression is that the average Duck fan would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Back