What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Kelly fired

Just curious but what do you base that on? I know the local media has no love for him and doesn't really want him back but my impression is that the average Duck fan would welcome him back in a heartbeat.
This is my impression too. The media always hates a guy that is a closed book on everything but what is absolutely required for the job. They like it if they can ask a question that could be answered with a simple yes or no, and the coach gives them a paragraph long quote. They absolutely hate a guy that answers "yes," "no," or gives a short, one sentence non-answer. Chip Kelly does that - not just in press conferences, but also in private one-on-one interviews (which are exceedingly rare). He puts similar limitations on his staff and players.

Yeah, the media hates him. But fans, well they either believe what the media tells them (and any media reports will naturally tend to include these voices), or they say "I don't give a ****, the man won games." I think most UO fans fall into the latter category.

This is my impression too. The media always hates a guy that is a closed book on everything but what is absolutely required for the job. They like it if they can ask a question that could be answered with a simple yes or no, and the coach gives them a paragraph long quote. They absolutely hate a guy that answers "yes," "no," or gives a short, one sentence non-answer. Chip Kelly does that - not just in press conferences, but also in private one-on-one interviews (which are exceedingly rare). He puts similar limitations on his staff and players.

Yeah, the media hates him. But fans, well they either believe what the media tells them (and any media reports will naturally tend to include these voices), or they say "I don't give a ****, the man won games." I think most UO fans fall into the latter category.

In other words: Average 10 wins a year and no CU fan with half a brain is going to complain about Belichick style pressers.

CU gets so little press I do not think the personality will matter. Just keep the program relatively clean from a bad press standpoint and you win 7-10 games a year here and I do not think the coaches personality will matter. Really do not think it will matter at all

Well coach Popovich is an artist at pressers and I don't see anybody complaining. They win so it doesn't matter at all to me.

Dan Hawkins taught me to ignore pressers.

Mack Brown convinced me that media responsibilities can be detrimental to team performance.

I'd be perfectly happy if CU gutted head coach contract language that requires fulfilling media responsibilities as part of the job.

If a coach wants to address the media, that's fine. But making this a requirement leads to boring and predictable coach speak.

Back