What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Long - OC Notre Dame

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
HCUlmJrM_400x400.jpg

Organization: Notre Dame

Current Position: Offensive Coordinator

Former Positions:
2006–2007Louisville (OGA)
2008–2009Arkansas (OGA)
2010–2011Illinois (TE/FB)
2012–2015Arizona State (TE)/(RC)
2016Memphis (OC/(TE)
2017–presentNotre Dame (OC)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record and Awards:

Notable Recruits:
N'Keal Harry - WR (4*)
Brady White - QB (4*)
Kevin Bauman - TE (4*)
Michael Mayer - TE (4*)
Chans Cox - LB (4*)
Jason Lewis - ATH (4*)
Braden Lenzy - ATH (4*)
Chase Lucas - ATH (4*)
George Takacs - TE (4*)
Connor Humphreys - DE (4*)
Kalen Ballage - ATH (4*)

Coaching Notes:

He knows Colorado having recruited Ballage, and obviously the rest of the PAC 12 territory.

Lukewarm on this guy without HC experience, I am a hold out for that.

His bio checks out but is he really ready?
There's only 1 way to find out.

The challenge for CU is that if we let someone else take that risk and he succeeds then he will never be available to us.

This is the case with all of the fast track young coaches we're talking about. By not going this direction, you definitely eliminate some risk. But in doing so you also eliminate your chance to land the next Saban or Urban.

He looks like the kid you hung out with in high school that was a little weird, you didn’t really like him, but his stepsister was hot AF and would tan in a bikini in the backyard so you played nice with him.

As a coach I like him for reals, hot sister or not.

Last edited:
Impressive at first glance. Is he available? He's going to be in the playoffs

3 things we need from a HC...can recruit, can hire great assistants and is a good public face for the program (Mac was one of these, but apparently has turned into a little baby at pressers). IDK who that is...just get rid of Mac already....

As a ND fan as well I can tell you the Chip Long is probably #1 reason ND has had back to back 10 win seasons. Also had the kahonas to switch from Wimbush to Book. Former Pac12 Recruiting Coordinator too.

He looks like the kid you hung out with in high school that was a little weird, you didn’t really like him, but his sister was hot AF and would tan in a bikini in the backyard so you played nice with him.

As a coach I like him for reals, hot sister or not.
I don't some one with those ginger genes would have a sister that tans. More like burns and freckles.

i am not super-moved by this idea but i can be persuaded. here's the thing-- nd recruits differently than we do. he's definitely a strong coordinator but we have far fewer legacy-licking "wake the echoes" recruits like nd.

Chip Long, Notre Dame OC

I was late to the Chip Long train, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The 35-year old wunderkind has enjoyed a meteoric rise. He was a part of Arizona State’s staff from 2012-15 as a tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator (read: recruiting star) and then moved to Memphis with Mike Norvell as OC. After a record-breaking year at Memphis, he was quickly hired by Brian Kelley at Notre Dame. Now, the OC for the Golden Domers is part of an amazing offense that is adapting to its personnel and is destroying plenty of good teams. Part or most of that is Brian Kelley, sure, but Long now has an impressive list of mentors and he hasn’t forgotten how to recruit. Long is very young, but so is Sean McVay, probably the best coach in all of football. Long would be a very fun hire that could pay off big-time. He would also be relatively cheap.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

There's only 1 way to find out.

The challenge for CU is that if we let someone else take that risk and he succeeds then he will never be available to us.

This is the case with all of the fast track young coaches we're talking about. By not going this direction, you definitely eliminate some risk. But in doing so you also eliminate your chance to land the next Saban or Urban.
But didn't Urban leave Utah at the first sniff from an SEC team? I hate to say it, but if a young, up-and-coming football mind takes a HC gig at Colorado, especially one without any ties to the state or university, and has any semblance of success, he'll be gone within 2 years like Urban Meyer did to Utah.

But didn't Urban leave Utah at the first sniff from an SEC team? I hate to say it, but if a young, up-and-coming football mind takes a HC gig at Colorado, especially one without any ties to the state or university, and has any semblance of success, he'll be gone within 2 years like Urban Meyer did to Utah.
So you’d rather have a lesser coach just so he’d stick around for more than 2-3 years? If that happens, CU football is in an amazing place. Also, CU is not MWC Utah, so that Urban Meyer comp is not really fair

Not so sure about that. When Meyer was at Utah, they were still in the MWC. Just about anything was more attractive to him as a result. Colorado is a much better destination than Utah was back then, particularly if RG is able to execute to his vision.

There is a lot of worry about coaches bolting after a few years. Would we have rather not had Leavitt for the time that we did because he left after two years?

Do you think Utah regrets hiring Urban Meyer?

That would be awesome to get the next Urban. And Utah was G5

So you’d rather have a lesser coach just so he’d stick around for more than 2-3 years? If that happens, CU football is in an amazing place. Also, CU is not MWC Utah, so that Urban Meyer comp is not really fair
True, Utah was MWC then so it may have taken him 3-4 years to jump instead. Being Pac-12 doesn't make CU a destination for up and comers. In fact, I feel like CU lost it's identity in the move to the Pac-12. A school with a history and tradition of winning in the Big-8 and Big-12 became an also ran in an also-ran conference.

But what I want? I just want stability and the chance for Pac-12 championships every year. I want that someone to want to be at CU and want the Colorado lifestyle. Because we don't have a whole lot of money to offer compared to most P5 schools. And because of that, unfortunately, I think most of these guys see CU as a stepping stone to get to Notre Dame or Ohio State or, well, Oregon, USC, or any number of B1G or SEC schools.

True, Utah was MWC then so it may have taken him 3-4 years to jump instead. Being Pac-12 doesn't make CU a destination for up and comers. In fact, I feel like CU lost it's identity in the move to the Pac-12. A school with a history and tradition of winning in the Big-8 and Big-12 became an also ran in an also-ran conference.

But what I want? I just want stability and the chance for Pac-12 championships every year. I want that someone to want to be at CU and want the Colorado lifestyle. Because we don't have a whole lot of money to offer compared to most P5 schools. And because of that, unfortunately, I think most of these guys see CU as a stepping stone to get to Notre Dame or Ohio State or, well, Oregon, USC, or any number of B1G or SEC schools.
You want two different things .

I think im starting to lean chip long here. Love that he can recruit. Obviously the risk here is huge. BUT on the flip side the upside is huge

As Duff has said many times, there are only a handful (fewer than 10?) of programs that’s aren’t stepping stone jobs. Oregon lost Willie Taggart after one season because FSU job became available. Urban left Florida, Fisher left FSU, Saban left Mich State and LSU, Beilema left Wisconsin, Chip Kelly left Oregon, if Saban retires rumors are that Dabo would be candidate #1, etc. Successful coaches move around a lot unless there is some dream job angle due to being alum or something.

Do you think Utah regrets hiring Urban Meyer?
Nope. And yes, I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth when I say if you can guarantee two years of top-5 in the nation, I'll take the next Urban Meyer even if it means he bails before year three. But Utah also got lucky that Kyle Whittingham was there to take the reigns behind Meyer.

Back