What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chipster: Texas to ACC gaining steam

Honestly, have you not been listening to anything we've been saying?

Heard what you said. Gave you the information that ran directly counter to your belief. As Larry has said, the votes are there to admit to Texass as long as they come on board as an equal without special conditions. If that's not good enough for them, then buh-bye. If they do agree to those terms, then it might surprise you, but Colorado will (after some coaxing) be one of the "yes" votes. Why? Because you already agreed to this last year and you are not going to go back on your word. Because even after your very short stint in this conference your administrators are going to have noticed that upstanding people here don't go back on their word. And you'll want to be considered on the side of the "upstanding citizens" once (if) we enter the P16 era.

Still give it only a 20-30% chance Texass climbs down.

For you Texass haters, here's your REAL dream scenario. Texass continues to shop the P12's bid and gets the ACC to top it by allowing LHN to remain distinct. Little10 then collapses as TAMU goes SEC and P12 adds the Okies. Texass' admission to ACC is effective 2012. A week after the announcements fly, the SEC invites Florida State, North Carolina and Virgina Tech to get to 16. They accept. BigEast immediately targets ACC remnants for expansion. Won't take Texass with LHN. Whorns left looking for a chair.

Heard what you said. Gave you the information that ran directly counter to your belief. As Larry has said, the votes are there to admit to Texass as long as they come on board as an equal without special conditions. If that's not good enough for them, then buh-bye. If they do agree to those terms, then it might surprise you, but Colorado will (after some coaxing) be one of the "yes" votes. Why? Because you already agreed to this last year and you are not going to go back on your word. Because even after your very short stint in this conference your administrators are going to have noticed that upstanding people here don't go back on their word. And you'll want to be considered on the side of the "upstanding citizens" once (if) we enter the P16 era.

For you Texass haters, here's your REAL dream scenario. Texass continues to shop the P12's bid and gets the ACC to top it by allowing LHN to remain distinct. Little10 then collapses as TAMU goes SEC and P12 adds the Okies. Texass' admission to ACC is effective 2012. A week after the announcements fly, the SEC invites Florida State, North Carolina and Virgina Tech to get to 16. They accept. BigEast immediately targets ACC remnants for expansion. Won't take Texass with LHN. Whorns left looking for a chair.

No, our dream scenario is to leave it at 12.

We don't want to have anything to do with the okies...I want Hawaii, though. It'd be great if a school in San Diego or Nevada were up to par in either play or academics.

My "belief" is that UT kills every conference it's involved with. There's nothing you can provide; no information to the contrary, that could possibly run counter to that. It's an established fact. You still don't seem to get it, so I'll say it in a different way - UT is a cancer. An inoperable, incurable cancer. It eats away at you until YOU DIE. There's no amount of money in the world that is worth that. Yet you manage to keep coming back to try to make an argument about how it would be different this time. I keep telling you it won't be. Believe me, you don't want to test this theory.

We don't want to have anything to do with the okies...I want Hawaii, though. It'd be great if a school in San Diego or Nevada were up to par in either play or academics.

Timmy - I know you're faithful to the islands, but let's get real. UH academics are HORRIBLE - not Nebraska horrible but WORSE than Wazzu, ASU, hell - Blinn Junior College HORRIBLE.

I know it's all about money and sometimes conferences will look the other way (i.e. PAC possibly letting Okie Lite in) but there is NO WAY Hawaii will ever be let into the PAC-12/14/16. EVAR!

And this is coming from someone who has lived in Honolulu and had season tix to UH. So it's not like I'm throwing **** on the wall and hoping it sticks. Hawaii has no hope of ever getting into a BCS AQ conference b/c of academics. Fresno State has a better chance of that happening.

Hawaii has some serious funding issues. In addition, something I found out while I was out there - every UH professor is in a union. I guess pretty much all state employees are in a union. That's a great way to create some serious funding issues.

Hawaii has some serious funding issues. In addition, something I found out while I was out there - every UH professor is in a union. I guess pretty much all state employees are in a union. That's a great way to create some serious funding issues.

Sacky, you have no idea. Take away the resorts and tourist industry and Hawaii is Third World USA. Hell - in fact, don't take those away and just drive two blocks away from Aloha Stadium to mauka into Aiea, and it IS Third World USA.

My "belief" is that UT kills every conference it's involved with. There's nothing you can provide; no information to the contrary, that could possibly run counter to that. It's an established fact. You still don't seem to get it, so I'll say it in a different way - UT is a cancer. An inoperable, incurable cancer. It eats away at you until YOU DIE. There's no amount of money in the world that is worth that. Yet you manage to keep coming back to try to make an argument about how it would be different this time. I keep telling you it won't be. Believe me, you don't want to test this theory.

Even in Cal84's scenario texas kills the ACC and winds up in the cold, he's at least learning, these fancy schooled west coast folk are sumpin' else.

Even in Cal84's scenario texas kills the ACC and winds up in the cold, he's at least learning, these fancy schooled west coast folk are sumpin' else.

[Sacky]That's what Texas does! They're like those hornets that sting trantulas with neurotoxins that disable their motor functions. Except in the case the trantula is a conference! And then, the hornet lays eggs on the trantula, and those eggs hatch and the larva burrow into the trantuala's still-living but immobile body. And the larva slowly eat the trantula alive, as it defenselessly provides a food source for the vile insects. And then, when there is nothing but a trantula carcass lying in the desert sands, the hornets sprout wings, and take to the skies to find new trantulas to destroy. It's like that, but far worse with Texas. Far worse![/Sacky]

Being talked about in the local papers here in VA. By all means I hope it happens, although I still have my doubts. ACC fans are too naive to realize that Texas is a conference-killer, but it would be a better fit for Texas anyway. They'd get many of their asinine demands, there would only be an hour time difference (UT & Clowns being 2hrs ahead in the Pac would be a pain in the ass for their travel). For the record, the closest ACC school to Austin is FSU at a little over 800 miles.

Who goes with them to the ACC, or will the SEC and ACC both have 13 members?

I think it is far more likely that if the Big 12 collapses, UT goes to the Big East who will have their TV contracts renegotiated next year for the 2013 season. Notre Dame's NBC contract runs through 2015 (FYI).

ABC/ESPN already owns most of the Big East rights. They lost some content to Fox and the Pac-12 network effective in 2012, and they also will be losing Conference USA content starting in 2011 (to FSN and CBS College Sports).

They love Big East hoops and have always pushed their football programs like Rutgers and UConn despite luke-warm national appeal.

I think that the there will be a fracture between the football and non-football Big East members, but it might not be such a contentious split if ABC/ESPN softens the blow with a valuable TV deal for both halves, and some OOC basketball games or even a formal series against each other.

The Big East has 9 conference members now that play football plus Notre Dame as independent who could stay in the new conference as a non-football member. Texas could join in the same capacity. Being associated with the conference would give the non-football sports a home, and also help with scheduling issues for football.

Big East would then invite 3 new all-sport members to round out the football membership to 12 teams. Kansas and Kansas State look like locks for 2 of those invites. Missouri will be offered the other, but they could also be weighing an SEC invite. Of course, this all assumes the OU-Okie Lite to Pac-12 scenario occurs. If Missouri gets the invite then you have to figure that a Big East or ACC team gets the 14th invite from the SEC, and if it is the ACC they will turn around and raid a Big East team in return. Meaning, the Big East would have a 4th invite to extend for an all-sports member.

If the Tigers become the third Tiger team in the SEC, then I think Iowa State or Texas Tech gets the invite to the Big East in their place. I think Tech has more pull at this point in time over the Cyclones, especially with TCU and UT involved. Despite their public crying Baylor would not be able to overcome Tech's representation in the legislature.

If the SEC expands beyond 14 then that could open up more spots for the Big East, then you will see lobbying from Iowa State, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, East Carolina, and Central Florida. With the open spots being caused by an eastern team leaving, I can see an argument to add East Carolina or Central Florida to balance the divisions geographically. Iowa State and Baylor would win the academic argument. Iowa State and Memphis would add more from a hoops perspective. East Carolina, Memphis, and Iowa State add new states to the "footprint". Those make a compelling argument that Iowa State could get one of those final invites to the Big East, maybe Baylor gets one as well for a Texas-4 block.

With Texas and Notre Dame adding weight to the basketball and non-revenue sports the conference would be setup pretty solid but probably would not form a conference-owned or branded network.

ABC/ESPN would probably be aggressive about setting Notre Dame up on their own version of the Longhorn Network when their rights came up for renewal.

Texas would then be an "independent" in football with scheduling a lot easier to fit in games against an SEC Texas A&M and a Pac-14 Oklahoma.

They would have TCU and Tech as Big East "members" to work schedules with. Baylor would probably join Conference USA or play as an Indy for a few years but would still jump at the chance to play UT in either scenario. With BYU, Notre Dame, Army, and Navy all Indy there would be opportunity to fill October Saturdays a little easier.

The former Big East basketball schools (Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and Marquette) would then have a 7 team league and would look to invite teams like Xavier, Saint Joseph's, etc. ABC/ESPN could own these TV rights as well to keep rivalry games intact schedule wise and to facilitate getting the football conference wrapped up.

Texas gets to be "special" just like Notre Dame, the 16-team superconferences would probably be avoided, or at least delayed longer than it appears now, and none of it would affect what the Pac wants.

Being talked about in the local papers here in VA. By all means I hope it happens, although I still have my doubts. ACC fans are too naive to realize that Texas is a conference-killer, but it would be a better fit for Texas anyway. They'd get many of their asinine demands, there would only be an hour time difference (UT & Clowns being 2hrs ahead in the Pac would be a pain in the ass for their travel). For the record, the closest ACC school to Austin is FSU at a little over 800 miles.

There was a little bit of talk about it on the radio the other day and while they seemed to understand UT's arrogance and special demands, they were also willing to accept that to gain some much-needed football prestige for the conference. You can say the same thing about the Pac about needing more football prestige, to a much lesser extent.

Back