What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chiv and Lindgren: Whats the relationship???

OsideBuff

Dimwitted ****
Since Chiv was hired as the "Co-Offensive" coordinator...i have had several questions about it...
1. Why did MM hire him as Co-OC? To get him? Because he had lost faith in BL? What was the arrangement? Promise him the full OC job in a few years assuming BL would get an HC gig?
2. What is the agreement and who is really in charge of the offense? How is the game plan developed? How are the offensive starters set? How are the plays called? Who owns the adjustments?

Chiv is NEVER mentioned in the media and by broadcasters as having a 50% role in the offense. If he is indeed recognized as a partner in the offense...am troubled. Honestly...i think the CO-OC label is ceremonial only....i think his only real role remains as the WR coach with some extra input but no power in the overarchig offensive game plan.

Thoughts? Anyone have any Insight into that relationship? The only interview together that was done in camp was strained....

Since Chiv was hired as the "Co-Offensive" coordinator...i have had several questions about it...
1. Why did MM hire him as Co-OC? To get him? Because he had lost faith in BL? What was the arrangement? Promise him the full OC job in a few years assuming BL would get an HC gig?
2. What is the agreement and who is really in charge of the offense? How is the game plan developed? How are the offensive starters set? How are the plays called? Who owns the adjustments?

Chiv is NEVER mentioned in the media and by broadcasters as having a 50% role in the offense. If he is indeed recognized as a partner in the offense...am troubled. Honestly...i think the CO-OC label is ceremonial only....i think his only real role remains as the WR coach with some extra input but no power in the overarchig offensive game plan.

Thoughts? Anyone have any Insight into that relationship? The only interview together that was done in camp was strained....

MM did not hire Chiv. He resents having him thrust upon him. He is loyal to Lindgren to a fault.

The roles are muddled, poorly defined, but Lindgren has primary play calling duties.

Co-anything never works, particularly in a situation with largely soured dynamics.

MM did not hire Chiv. He resents having him thrust upon him. He is loyal to Lindgren to a fault.

The roles are muddled, poorly defined, but Lindgren has primary play calling duties.

Co-anything never works, particularly in a situation with largely soured dynamics.
I don’t see how you can come to this conclusion. To think that Mac had zero say in the hiring of his assistants and that RG is doing this all on his own is nonsense. I can almost guarantee all hidings have been all Mac, including JMFL.

Yeah Clemson's defense was such a failure last year.

I don’t see how you can come to this conclusion. To think that Mac had zero say in the hiring of his assistants and that RG is doing this all on his own is nonsense. I can almost guarantee all hidings have been all Mac, including JMFL.

RG hired Chiv. MM was not on the plane to Lubbock for either visit. I know this to be a fact.

Yeah Clemson and Washington's defenses were such a failure last year.
I had no idea Venables shared that job. He is clearly in charge. It must be title only cause the other Co- is non existent.

I had no idea Venables shared that job. He is clearly in charge. It must be title only cause the other Co- is non existent.
It must be convenient for your argument if you can twist every successful co- situation as one being in charge and the other non-existent. It's an extremely popular thing in college football now and many teams have found great success in it. All 4 teams in the playoffs had Co- situations, it's clearly not true that it never works. #7 TCU has had a Co- situation for years with respectable offensive minds in both roles, and it's something Patterson has stuck to even through changes, pretty sure he even had it on both sides of the ball previously.

It must be convenient for your argument if you can twist every successful co- situation as one being in charge and the other non-existent. It's an extremely popular thing in college football now and many teams have found great success in it. All 4 teams in the playoffs had Co- situations, it's clearly not true that it never works. #7 TCU has had a Co- situation for years with respectable offensive minds in both roles, and it's something Patterson has stuck to even through changes, pretty sure he even had it on both sides of the ball previously.
Who was the Co- with Venables? Where they go? I don’t see it listed this year.

Co- is popular. Many are titles only. Who helps Sonny at TCU?

Oh do you? And no consultation from Mac? No video conferencing or Skype? Yeah, right.

He was told to make a change. He wouldn’t. RG found him Chiv. MM did not want it. Suppported Lindgren. Balked at hire, but had no choice. Sure, he knew. But was very unhappy at every stage, including last year, especially bond between Chiv and Leavitt. He thought they were stealing the show.

He was told to make a change. He wouldn’t. RG found him Chiv. MM did not want it. Suppported Lindgren. Balked at hire, but had no choice. Sure, he knew. But was very unhappy at every stage, including last year, especially bond between Chiv and Leavitt. He thought they were stealing the show.
And again, a whhhhhooooollllleeeee lot of speculation.

Marion Hobby. Whoa. Now gone.

He had a title.

So did Venables.

Only one had Co- in their title.

Who was the Co- with Venables? Where they go? I don’t see it listed this year.

Co- is popular. Many are titles only. Who helps Sonny at TCU?
Marion Hobby was, he left for the Jags DL job (which admittedly was strange but by all accounts had a very successful tenure there), but he'd been there since 2011 and was Co-DC with Mac at Duke before that. Doug Meachum* was Co-OC with Sonny at TCU and then Curtis Luper took over as Co-OC this year when he left*. I honestly have trouble finding more than a few teams that don't have a Co- situation, Ohio State has 1 or 2 every year (and often both are often respected enough to get hired elsewhere as a head coach or lone OC). Certainly it's never 50/50 and giving someone a Co- title is often an incentive thing, but I think it's a big stretch to say it's not ever successful. Is ours? Probably not, but we seem to have all sorts of problems in our dynamic.

Last edited:
And how do you know that’s a fact?? You make these definitive declarations without providing any proof

I will not divulge my source until MM or Chiv is gone. I have repeatedly said I will do so then. The source is credible, extremely, extremely close to the situation.

Marion Hobby was, he left for the Jags DL job (which admittedly was strange but by all accounts had a very successful tenure there), but he'd been there since 2011 and was Co-DC with Mac at Duke before that. Curtis Luper has been Co-OC with Sonny at TCU since 2013. I honestly have trouble finding more than a few teams that don't have a Co- situation, Ohio State has 1 or 2 every year (and often both are often respected enough to get hired elsewhere as a head coach or lone OC). Certainly it's never 50/50 and giving someone a Co- title is often an incentive thing, but I think it's a big stretch to say it's not ever successful. Is ours? Probably not, but we seem to have all sorts of problems in our dynamic.

Fair.

I definitely expect some staff shake up this year. I hope it’s not Chiv heading elsewhere. Sure does seem like we miss Leavitt though, assuming he was the motivator on the staff.

I never understood this line of thinking. I hope our AD never mandates personnel changes on the staff of any coach. I'd prefer he lay out specific performance metrics then let Mac go about achieving them however he sees fit. There's a reason RG is an AD and not a football coach.
Speak louder for those in the back!

Back