What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chris Fowler replaces Musberger as play-by-play for Sat. Night Football

I have to admit I don't understand the Musberger hate. The guy does his homework. He knows the teams he's calling. He is polished and you can tell he has a genuine passion for college football. Yeah, he gets a little overly folksy, but so what? Keith Jackson, anybody?

I have to admit I don't understand the Musberger hate. The guy does his homework. He knows the teams he's calling. He is polished and you can tell he has a genuine passion for college football. Yeah, he gets a little overly folksy, but so what? Keith Jackson, anybody?
It's easy to pick apart announcers.

:nod: It's not an easy job, and almost no one is good at it. Most of the time they'd be better off just STFU, but they can't help themselves.
I know it's not an easy job, the public has no idea how hard it is actually to try to entertain the audience for 3-4 hours while describing the action at the same time. NBC did the announcerless telecast in the 80s to try to make that point how boring it be without announcers.

Fowler did Thursday night games with Kirk and Corso several years ago so the team should have a head start in how they do things. The only other person I would have been excited to listen to on Saturday nights other than Fowler would have been Brad Nessler. Nessler is and always has been better than Musburger in my opinion.

Fowler did Thursday night games with Kirk and Corso several years ago so the team should have a head start in how they do things. The only other person I would have been excited to listen to on Saturday nights other than Fowler would have been Brad Nessler. Nessler is and always has been better than Musburger in my opinion.
Fowler/Herbstreit were only in the booth for one season together, but I think they've spent enough time around each other.

Nessler has been in the doghouse at ESPN. If you recall, when Keith Jackson went into retirement (then semi-retirement), they named him/Brent essentially co-#1's with Keith doing the best west coast games and occasionally other high profile games. Then when Saturday Night Football/Keith retired for good/the whole ESPN on ABC came about, they made Brent/Kirk the top team.

On the basketball front, he was the lead NBA announcer when ESPN/ABC first got it, then they demoted him in favor of Al Michaels, then they took him off the NBA altogether put him the Saturday night basketball series then a few years later demoted him from that in favor of Dan Shulman.

Also, through no fault of his own, he's not doing the Thursday Night Football on the NFL Network anymore because CBS got it and are installing Nantz/Simms.

Nantz and Fowler are okay. Simms and Herbstreit are horrible. I used to like him, but am saddened every time I hear Corso. Prolly heard him but not picturing Nessler. JMHO

Nantz and Fowler are okay. Simms and Herbstreit are horrible. I used to like him, but am saddened every time I hear Corso. Prolly heard him but not picturing Nessler. JMHO
Neutral on Simms, I like Herbie. If Corse, just did the head piece thing, that would be enough for me. It's hard to force him out.

I used to hate Corso, but I've come to appreciate his schtick. He's the Dick Vitale of college football. The guy is passionate and entertaining. He's a good guy.

Amen, hated Musberger ever since he was gushing over GT and their bowl game against the fuskers back in 90 (91 actually). Won't miss his incessant "Herbie's" and that hackneyed "You are looking live!!!" Don't let the door hit you in the ass...

I like Mushberger for his vague betting references. He´s a big time gambler.

Congrats to a fellow Buff! Now hopefully he chooses to give back to dear old CU with some of that extra cash lying around.

I don't get it either ... for the reasons you mention, and I think he's a very good play-by-play guy. Plus I've always loved his "you are looking live" pre-game intro ... it's iconic (and not "hackneyed" like some poster said in this thread).

I also remember his heartfelt tribute to Gary Barnett during a CU game wherein he said that he never thought he'd ever see Northwestern in a Rose Bowl in his lifetime, and gave GB full credit for that accomplishment ... it was a genuine expression of pride in his alma mater as well as an acknowledgement of what Gary was doing at CU.

The only time I felt compelled to criticize him was during the 2001 Big XII CCG ... when he didn't only state that he thought that Eric Crouch still deserved to be considered in the thick of the Heisman race (which was his opinion and to which he was entitled) after CU had crushed the Fuskers ... but also interviewed him live over the phone DURING THE GAME, which IMO was way out of line. Besides detracting from a very exciting and significant moment in CU football history, it came across to me that he was actively promoting EC's Heisman candidacy, whether deserved or not.

But overall ... I believe he will be remembered as one of the best.

Nonetheless ... I'm happy for CF as a fellow Buff.

Years ago he was fired by, what, CBS? At that time he was one of the only sports announcers I did not like. I didn't even hate Cosell that much! But Musberger with his cloying, sycophantic style nauseated me. And I was not alone. Most people I knew didn't like the guy, and I understood most listeners didn't like him. One commentator said that at each game it sounded like he was narrating World War III!! He used to refer to everyone by their first name like they were his best pals. He invariably used slang terms like the "Noles" that just irritated me. Too folksy?? I don't think so. Just obnoxious. But I must say that after the firing he has come back much more muted which is nice. And he does know his stuff.

Years ago he was fired by, what, CBS? At that time he was one of the only sports announcers I did not like. I didn't even hate Cosell that much! But Musberger with his cloying, sycophantic style nauseated me. And I was not alone. Most people I knew didn't like the guy, and I understood most listeners didn't like him. One commentator said that at each game it sounded like he was narrating World War III!! He used to refer to everyone by their first name like they were his best pals. He invariably used slang terms like the "Noles" that just irritated me. Too folksy?? I don't think so. Just obnoxious. But I must say that after the firing he has come back much more muted which is nice. And he does know his stuff.
Yeah 1990, I think it was because he had too much power at CBS, he did everything -- NFL studio host, CFB pbp, Final Four pbp, did the NBA when they had that, the Masters, US Open, was scheduled to be their lead baseball pbp when he was fired.

^^^ Must be a tree hugger.

Musberger

^^^ Must be a tree hugger.

Just the opposite. One of his famous early episodes was roundly criticizing the black salute by the two sprinters at the
Olympics in, what, Mexico City. He has also had a few other sketchy events in his life, got in trouble as a youth. Sounds like a corporate shill to me!

He had a great quote in the Big 12 tourney game last night. The network panned to 3 relatively attractive girls, and he said something like, that's a nice selection right there!

Challenge: name an announcer that isn't widely hated by a bunch of people for no apparent reason.

He had a great quote in the Big 12 tourney game last night. The network panned to 3 relatively attractive girls, and he said something like, that's a nice selection right there!

Brent does have a eye and a creeper's comments for a bombshell in the stands:

Florida State Jenn Sterger
[video=youtube_share;3Pj2zV5FdYU]http://youtu.be/3Pj2zV5FdYU[/video]

BCS Nat'l Championship Katherine Webb, gf of AJ McCarron
[video=youtube_share;5hg7CxBdJHk]http://youtu.be/5hg7CxBdJHk[/video]

Iowa State
[video=youtube_share;yAqVE4Ry79A]http://youtu.be/yAqVE4Ry79A[/video]

The Emenem guest appearance is a cringe-worthy classic in the booth, too.
[video=youtube_share;oFZeVDyhzOQ]http://youtu.be/oFZeVDyhzOQ[/video]

Mushmouth is an annoying twat. The way he describes a simple pass....."Johnny Football snaps one off to Mike Evans...." I don't know about you, but the phrase "snapping one off" is typically used to describe something far different than a forward pass.

Also, the way he takes weird pleasure in saying certain things, such as "Honeybadger", is just plain creepy.

New one

[video=youtube;KAm_6lsike0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAm_6lsike0[/video]

Al Michaels? I haven't seen too much complaining from him excluding his politics

I can't stand the guy. Seriously. If that idiot tells me that such-and-such player is a "former" (insert team name here) one more time, I'm going to lose it. I counted once, and he used the term "former (Bronco/Jet/Raider/whatever)" over 20 times in one broadcast. It adds nothing to the broadcast. I not care where he used to play, Al.

Back