What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chris Fowler weighs in

Cannot listen at work... Any chance for a summary?
There's a ton here, well worth the listen later, but a brief recap:

- discussed Mac's comments, said they were "unfortunate" and "damning", went into Mac's convictions
- Thought there was zero basis for claims of racism, team's performance was dismal. Briefly touched on Mac's start compared to Embree's and said Mac's was an exception, didn't see any inkling of a turnaround from Embree
- talked about Embree making the jump from NFL TE coach to HC at CU "doesn't equate". Thought that he shouldn't have been given that responsibility, some blame goes to Bohn for that.
- talked about Hawkins getting a 5th, not making same mistake by keeping Embree too long
- talked about coaching search, about going from "outside the family" to "in the family", referenced Alabama making similar mistakes. His point was to NOT limit the coaching search with arbitrary criteria. Said you have to find the best guy.
- Said Bohn might have been forced into hiring Embree.
- hasn't been that long since CU has won, we'll be back if we hire the right guy

I'm sure there's more that I've missed...

This is great. Objective ESPN people taking a balanced view. Eliminated race (completely false is Fowler's statement) and mostly recognized Embree was way in over his head.

I love that Fowler speaks well of CU after all. Says it pains him to see how bad they are. He is convinced they can turn this around and w/i 5 years there will be no blowouts at half time.

Just a couple of tidbits I picked up on:

-Clearly denies the race angle
-Questions whether JE should have been given the job, brings up he was a TE coach in the NFL
-States basically, "When you limit your head coaching search pool to those only those within the family, it's a bad idea. It didn't work for Alabama."
-Basically, "Hawk was a spectacular failure, didn't connect with the Buffs. So what are you gonna do, you're gonna go back within the family, dial back the clock a couple of decades and try to relive the glory days."
-Questions whether Bohn was forced into hiring someone in the family. Wonders about whether the parameters of the search were forced upon him.
-Also says basically, "Do you want to make the same mistake twice? (Giving JE an extra year, a la giving Hawk the extra year)"

Last edited:
I love Fowler. He doesn't talk about CU much, but he cares, he's respected, and he's logical.

talk about hawkins extra year... which they had to give him due to financial restraints

Great to hear him finally speak up and say the right things about the Buffs at such a crucial moment. We're going to get this turned around.

This should confirm that level-headed, truly objective perspectives are seeing the same things we are. And that folks "too close to the situation" as Vic stated cannot really see what has happened. They cannot get past their own objectives, relationships and motivations.

Edit: The national perspective is not the same as the local Denver media's. The BCA chairman stated that the record spoke for itself, Speaking A Smith said as much, Fowler, Ivan Maisel, etc.

We hassle Fowler sometimes for not being a Rah Rah guy, but he stepped up when it was crucial.

Thanks for posting this. Chris Fowler provided some intelligent, rationale insight on the situation. Well worth listening too.

We are all so close to this situation that it is refreshing to get a national view. CU is like a bad sitcom right now and the most embarrassing actors are the former Buffs themselves.

Fowler goes out of his way to stay as unbiased as possible so as to be seen as credible. He may not be completely objective but I respect that he is one of a very small percentage at ESPN that cares about some kind of journalistic credibility.

Regarding Maisel's article:

He also states JE told Cabral (& GB) they would not return (ie. you're fired). Where is their chance to turn it around? 2 years is long enough for them though??? Oh wait, Cabral has been with this program how long?? Cabral has given this program more than almost everybody--and JE was going to dump him? I don't recall Cabral pulling out and heading to UCLA (with recruits?!)

The Cabral issue is not getting enough run-- Brian, you sir, have my utmost respect, my thanks to you are not enough!

Fowler has a sense of history of this program as well as a perspective that Williams and Klatt and CJ and Mac cannot bring. He has no dog in this fight except as an observer who watched this team stink it up over and over and over. The team quit on Embree and he knew it and this after the fact excuse making is garbage.

Maisel's article is up

http://espn.go.com/college-football...oubles-leave-plenty-blame-go-college-football

Love this part:
With Colorado trailing Stanford 48-0 in the fourth quarter, radio play-by-play man Mark Johnson, looking to fill time, sent it down to his sideline reporter, former Buffs linebacker and NFL veteran Chad Brown."My mother said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," Brown reported. "Back to you in the booth."

:rofl:

Rep

Of course Klatt essentially dismissed what Fowler said this morning because he says Fowler has not been around Boulder or the program in quite some time. Whatever Joel.

Klatt - the most informed of all Buffs.
Fowler - what's he know about college football or the Buffs anyway?

Regarding Maisel's article:

He also states JE told Cabral (& GB) they would not return (ie. you're fired). Where is their chance to turn it around? 2 years is long enough for them though??? Oh wait, Cabral has been with this program how long?? Cabral has given this program more than almost everybody--and JE was going to dump him? I don't recall Cabral pulling out and heading to UCLA (with recruits?!)

The Cabral issue is not getting enough run-- Brian, you sir, have my utmost respect, my thanks to you are not enough!

And Cabral has almost as many wins as Embree over the last three years.

Back