What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian Powell

Fair point, but they also had 4-5 relatively easy wins so they probably had more running plays late in those games. On the flip side we actually had more running plays than pass plays last year and we were out of a number of games early.

Most teams run the ball to run the clock to keep from embarassing other teams or to keep them from having time to come back. We ran the ball to run the clock to keep other teams from embarrassing us more and to keep their walk-ons from scoring as much on us. You have a pathetic team when an average margin of defeat of 28.5 points isn't indicative of how badly you are losing.

It will be interesting to see what kind of balance we do end up with. Unlike under JE who was trying to open an oil barrel offense with a pocket knife can opener I expect M2 and staff to base what they do much more on the available talent as they see it.

Certainly Powell is one of the few guys they have who has the potential to force opponents to worry about him specifically. M2 will use him as an inside threat to try to pull up the LBs and force the DL to stay at home and play their gaps. The question is how much of that will be actual carries and how much of that will be the threat of the carry used to open up something else.

It will be interesting to see what type of offense we actually run here. The spring game featured quite a bit of down-field long pass attempts, and they were mostly wide open. We mixed it up pretty close to 50/50.

The only game of SJSU I caught (Bowl game) they used the pass more as a running play. A lot of dink & dunk stuff. Fales gets it out quick and accurately and this makes it tough to blitz him.

I personally suspect we will run the ball more than SJSU did last year, but I'm not sure that the staff really has a solid plan yet. We will be challenged to win a game early in my opinion.

Good assessment. Will be interesting to see what the staff does with this offense. I have to think Powell is the best rb they've had as a staff. Defiantly not a home run threat, but can run just about anyone over. At least IMO

Good assessment. Will be interesting to see what the staff does with this offense. I have to think Powell is the best rb they've had as a staff. Defiantly not a home run threat, but can run just about anyone over. At least IMO

You're saying he doesn't want to be a home run threat?

700 rushing and 300 receiving would be a good year.

I doubt he gets too many passes thrown his way. He'll see plenty of clear passing downs, but I'd imagine they'd keep him in the backfield to help pick up the rush.

I doubt he gets too many passes thrown his way. He'll see plenty of clear passing downs, but I'd imagine they'd keep him in the backfield to help pick up the rush.

He scored on a pass play in the Spring game. Looked like e had some speed to go with his power, too. Just sayin. I think he will catch a lot more passes than you might think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

He scored on a pass play in the Spring game. Looked like e had some speed to go with his power, too. Just sayin. I think he will catch a lot more passes than you might think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's possible, however last year San Jose St's leader receiver out of the backfield only caught 28 balls for 156.

You're saying he doesn't want to be a home run threat?
Does he want to? Of course he does. Can he take it to the house on any given play, like Thomas from Oregon? I don't think so. He doesn't have that kind of speed. Now saying that, I think Christian can be a special player who could be a gigantic weapon for this offense. Imagine what he will be like as a senior

Does he want to? Of course he does. Can he take it to the house on any given play, like Thomas from Oregon? I don't think so. He doesn't have that kind of speed. Now saying that, I think Christian can be a special player who could be a gigantic weapon for this offense. Imagine what he will be like as a senior

dude...

Powell is not fast, but he has good feet. Hard to find guys at 235 that are as efficient in their motion as Powell is.

This bet has been taken off the board.

Hope Powell can be an effective 10-12 carry RB the rest of the season.

I wasn't expecting him to be a 25 carry a game type of guy to start with. His style of running means a lot of physical abuse for the guys who tackle him but for him as well. That combined with M2s style doesn't lend to him getting huge numbers of carries over a season.

That said I wouldn't write him off this quick. A lot will depend on how he has recovered these past three weeks from the thigh bruise and other sprains and pains. Just like last year I can see games where he is very limited with only a few carries and not many yards but against certain other teams I can see him busting out for 100 yard games.

Something is wrong with him, and it's not just physical. Anyone who's listened to HCMM talk about him knows that. I'm concerned.

Something is wrong with him, and it's not just physical. Anyone who's listened to HCMM talk about him knows that. I'm concerned.

I think Powell is trying to much to make things happen. I think the expectations are weighing on him instead of driving him. Last season he was able to just run over people, this year I think he is trying to make people miss too much. He needs to return to running towards contact, at his size that is how he will be most effective.

I think Powell is trying to much to make things happen. I think the expectations are weighing on him instead of driving him. Last season he was able to just run over people, this year I think he is trying to make people miss too much. He needs to return to running towards contact, at his size that is how he will be most effective.

No.

Does anyone else get the feeling that he wasnt really injured but they just benched him because he was ineffective?

Powell had a deep thigh bruise. That's a tough injury for a RB and it tends to linger for a while. Let's see how he does with 3 weeks' rest and then judge.

I believe the talk of Adkins playing has a lot more to do with the performances of TJ and Abron in their role than it being any sort of indictment of Powell.

Agree with nik...Powell hobbled off the field in both games. He's banged up. ToJo has not been terribly effective. Abron runs hard, but if Adkins can provide a spark, I'm all for it. 96.5 ypg rushing is pretty weak. Especially, given the opponents....

A big issue is the OL not getting to the second level

Powell had a deep thigh bruise. That's a tough injury for a RB and it tends to linger for a while. Let's see how he does with 3 weeks' rest and then judge.

I believe the talk of Adkins playing has a lot more to do with the performances of TJ and Abron in their role than it being any sort of indictment of Powell.

Thigh bruise is a killer for guy walking down the street, let alone an RB! Glad Powell's had the three weeks off to let it heal.

Too much "Hugh Charles dancing", not enough "Bobby Purify running"! Hope Adkins is much more the latter! (IMHO, Purify was one of the best RBs CU has had in the last 30 years---too bad he had to compete with C Brown for PT.)

Agree with nik...Powell hobbled off the field in both games. He's banged up. ToJo has not been terribly effective. Abron runs hard, but if Adkins can provide a spark, I'm all for it. 96.5 ypg rushing is pretty weak. Especially, given the opponents....
pretty much where I'm at.

I think he was injured more than anyone let on during the CSU game. Here is hoping the 3 week lay off did him some good and he comes back strong.

Alabama rushed for 66 yards v CSU (@tuscaloosa). Just sayin'

Alabama rushed for 66 yards v CSU (@tuscaloosa). Just sayin'

Alabama statistics against the sheep are basically meaningless considering that they treated it like a glorified scrimmage while Saban concentrated on not embarassing his friend.

Back