What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chuck Pagano-- currently unemployed

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
Boulder native; Dad was a legendary coach in the state.
i

Organization: Unemployed

Current Position: Unemployed (former Head Coach)

Former Positions:

Record and Awards:
Regular season:53–43 (.552)
Postseason:3–3 (.500)
Career:56–46 (.549)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Notable Recruits:

Coaching Notes:

-------------------------
Former head coach of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.

He's coached at the college level on both east and west coasts, including Miami and USC. He has around 17 years of experience as a college assistant and coordinator, and lots of p5 experience.

If you take out his last season as the Colts' HC (Andrew Luck did not play that year), he had 3 eleven win seasons and 3 eight win seasons (i.e. no losing seasons).

Last edited by a moderator:
idk, it has been quite awhile since he was at the college level. He basically followed around Butch Davis from 1995-2007, so we probably don't need Katie Bason too badly if we got him.

Speaking of which, Davis is at FIU now and 8-3 this year, looking pretty good. Someone should get a thread going for him.

For reals tho, he did seem to be pretty good for the Colts. Took over the first year they got Luck and dumped Manning, so not an easy transition plus the poor guy got to deal with some casual cancer. Kept things going well until Luck became an injury machine, still kept them around 8 wins. Then Luck missed that entire year and the Colts apparently felt he had to go. I'm sure he's a good coach, I just don't really care for NFL guys in college.

That's a pretty good candidate, IMO. Can't believe he slipped through unnoticed til now. His bro is also probably available to be the DC also. No question on the coaching X's and O's just the obvious concerns about recruiting (would come from staff) and the OC would have to be a highly paid whiz. Him not being in college currently would probably mean that some of the current staff would get retained to keep the inroads intact for at least a season or two.

I could get behind this but would still prefer Lake or Babers.

ASU sure got a lot of press by hiring Edwards. Of course, Herm is one of those super quotable guys. Bringing in a successful NFL HC would definitely make an impression on recruits and their families. I'm sure he and RG would put an emphasis on hiring ace recruiters.

Yeah, I’m going to need a lot of convincing on this one. Maybe I’m not giving him enough credit, but just seemed like a solid, but not spectacular, coach. He’s been out of the college game for a decade—I just don’t know.

I think he was one of the top NFL head coaches during his time. I'd be surprised if he's not a top candidate for an NFL job at year end, assuming he's healthy and assuming he wants to work that hard.

If those assumptions are true, AND he has some hidden desire to return to Colorado (two giant IF's), I think he has a ton of CFB experience within the Butch Davis system that puts a high value on recruiting. He'd get that recruiting is 50% of it and that's a big thing many NFL guys don't really understand (in terms of the grind).

It would have home run potential all over it, but there's no reason to believe he'd want or need to return to CFB.

So long as we're talking about former NFL coaches, is it coincidence that we learn that Gary Kubiak wants to coach again the evening after CU cans its coach??

i like this more than i thought i would. maybe not first choice but has some positives. i'm really biased to the college game vs. NFL but hey....

My concerns would be the Paganos supposed did not like CU and were not friendly to the program. Also recruiting - I want a top recruiter.
They could mold it to their vision.

The recruiting thing is huge, though. It takes a certain personality to get enthusiastic about that side of the game vs pros. I k ow between the two I would ****ing disdain the need to spend the off season traveling around and coaxing teenagers and their parents to come to my school.

Except that Del Rio has never coached in college at any point in his career and has a losing record as a HC.

Pagano hasn't coached in college football in nearly 20 years as well......and whats the deal with his health? Still no.

My concerns would be the Paganos supposed did not like CU and were not friendly to the program. Also recruiting - I want a top recruiter.
It always pissed me off that none of his star players went to CU. I get the fact that they wanted to go out of state, but not one?

he can use the tad boyle defense: DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE: COME TO CU!

Wow - did not realize he is from Boulder. Did not know about the cancer he dealt with.

No thank you. Old guy out of the college game for a long time, basically a NFL retread.

The negatively towards CP as an option here is pretty funny to me....and I say that not knowing if Pagano is a legit option or not. But if Chuck is interested, he would be right at the top of my list.....I think he would be an excellent choice. You can bet your ass that we would be a hard nosed football team under CP, he is creative, he has NFL ties, and he is a very family oriented guy (which always spins well with Mom, and one of the things that I think MM excelled at here).

Pagano hasn't coached in college football in nearly 20 years as well......and whats the deal with his health? Still no.
So the guy who says Tedford is his #1 option is concerned about Pagano’s health?? OK

Also it’s been 11 years, not 20.

Back