What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Embree doesnt like how we played last year... Imagine that.

Shldr2Shldr

Club Member
Club Member
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_17579463

Few amazing concepts here in this article.

Penalizing the players in conditioning for poor performance... Wow you mean we are going to have standards and the coach is going to make sure we adhere to those standards?

Not having people pegged as starters... You mean actual competition in the off season

"Coaches were kidnapped"... Wait Hawk totally lost control of his team against KU?

not watching the scoreboard. Isnt that taught in like pop warner?

So excited to see how this team responds to our new Coach... Culture is changing in boulder and I am excited to see how much of an immediate impact it makes

teams seem to take on the personality of their coaches so it is no surprise that we lacked toughness in the past. Embree sounds like a tough no-nonsense SOB and I hope that is how we play.

I hope we don't spend the next few years putting all the blame onto Hawkins and his teams.

Granted, there were plenty of problems with Hawkins' teams. But it is time to turn the page and move forward, not place blame backward.

I hope Embree will eventually get to the point where he doesn't talk about the past, and starts talking about the present / future.

I hope Embree will eventually get to the point where he doesn't talk about the past, and starts talking about the present / future.

Eventually gets to the point ?

The guy is evaluating the state of the team. What else does he have to go on besides what happened last season ?

Eventually gets to the point ?

The guy is evaluating the state of the team. What else does he have to go on besides what happened last season ?

Why does he have to say anything about last season at all? He wasn't the coach. He wasn't in the locker room. He was watching on TV.

I don't know why he can't say things like "We're focusing on moving forward and getting ready for next year."

Sure, it's coach-speak, and it doesn't mean much, and I understand he doesn't know squat about this team since they haven't started practice yet - but I fail to see how throwing the former coach under the bus solves anything, other than satiate the masses.

It just sounds like excuse making, to me.

Why does he have to say anything about last season at all? He wasn't the coach. He wasn't in the locker room. He was watching on TV.

I don't know why he can't say things like "We're focusing on moving forward and getting ready for next year."

Sure, it's coach-speak, and it doesn't mean much, and I understand he doesn't know squat about this team since they haven't started practice yet - but I fail to see how throwing the former coach under the bus solves anything, other than satiate the masses.

I think it's more about lowering expectations than excuse making.

I'm not interested in that pablum BS--just trying to get better, blah, blah, blah. Seems to me Embree looked at film of last year and saw things that he thinks need changing. Then when a reporter asked a question, he answered it honestly. I have no problem with that.

Part of coaching a football team is establishing a culture, and part of that is identifying things in the current culture that you feel need changing. Every coach does this in one way or another. Hawkins made a point of talking about how the organizational aspects of the program were in disarray. Barnett promised to circle the Nebraska game again, and implemented his RTD motto. It goes on and on. The fact of the matter is that, if you are hired to coach a football team that fired its last coach, there are probably things in the culture that need to be changed.

Memories of the humiliating Kansas collapse still remain too raw; too painful.

Urgggggg.

I'm glad that game wasn't televised. Hanging out in the AB chat room with the KOA radio play-by-play was bad enough. It was a horrible, horrible day. Not something I want to revisit.

I hope we don't spend the next few years putting all the blame onto Hawkins and his teams.

Granted, there were plenty of problems with Hawkins' teams. But it is time to turn the page and move forward, not place blame backward.

Personally, I really like where Embree was going with these quotes. He is directly challenging his players physical and mental toughness. He is putting the majority of the blame directly on the players not Hawkins and co - something totally different than the last regime. He doesn't think the program was "burned to the ground" when he got here. Just that the players look like a bunch of pussies out there. Hopefully some of the guys on the team will get a little pissed off and bring some god damn passion and fire back when they are out there on the field in spring and fall camps.

At this point I'm not expecting miracles for next season but I would be very happy if we are in most of the games we lose and we are knocking people on their ass every game and being physical. Attitude and behavior first, then players, then winning.

Good for Embree, that KU game should not be forgotten, the pride and tradition of the CU football team was left in the hands of the timid and weak that day.

I fully expect this team to compete for a south division title

Good for Embree, that KU game should not be forgotten, the pride and tradition of the CU football team was left in the hands of the incompetent, timid and weak that day.

I fully expect this team to compete for a south division title

fify.

I think it's more about lowering expectations than excuse making.

Neither. Sounds to me like he is raising expectations. I.e., "we won't be doing these things, so the team should be better." He doesn't say anything that implies mistakes made by the previous staff will be to blame in the future, rather he points out some past mistakes and states how he is fixing them. It takes far less than a season to institute standards, not peg starters and teach kids to keep their eyes off the scoreboard. I imagine it can even be done during spring practice.

I didn't read those comments as placing blame so much as a statement of fact. We were soft last year. A 5 year old could see that. I think Embree is saying that won't be acceptable going forward. You never heard Hawkins say we were soft, undisciplined, unorganized, uncoordinated, etc. It was always about working on the little things and doing things the right way and then it will pop. Embree isn't waiting for it to pop. He's pointing out deficiencies that need to be corrected. I applaud that approach.

I didn't read those comments as placing blame so much as a statement of fact. We were soft last year. A 5 year old could see that. I think Embree is saying that won't be acceptable going forward. You never heard Hawkins say we were soft, undisciplined, unorganized, uncoordinated, etc. It was always about working on the little things and doing things the right way and then it will pop. Embree isn't waiting for it to pop. He's pointing out deficiencies that need to be corrected. I applaud that approach.
+1

I think it would have been perfectly reasonable for Embree to come in and say that today is a new day. Yesterday, let alone last season, no longer exist. I won't review the film. I won't talk about it. I won't base any expectations on that stuff. I won't set goals and objectives based on what the team and individuals did the previous season. Thanks, slade. Once again you nailed it.

I think it would have been perfectly reasonable for Embree to come in and say that today is a new day. Yesterday, let alone last season, no longer exist. I won't review the film. I won't talk about it. I won't base any expectations on that stuff. I won't set goals and objectives based on what the team and individuals did the previous season. Thanks, slade. Once again you nailed it.

That is dumb. The old film is information. How could you ignore valuable information when you only have 20 some practices until the first game? This staff needs to hit the ground running. I disagree. I want these kids to be told how badly they sucked. They need accountability.

Edit: Oops. Thats what I get for working while reading allbuffs.

Last edited:
personally, i really like where embree was going with these quotes. He is directly challenging his players physical and mental toughness. He is putting the majority of the blame directly on the players not hawkins and co - something totally different than the last regime. He doesn't think the program was "burned to the ground" when he got here. Just that the players look like a bunch of pussies out there. Hopefully some of the guys on the team will get a little pissed off and bring some god damn passion and fire back when they are out there on the field in spring and fall camps.

At this point i'm not expecting miracles for next season but i would be very happy if we are in most of the games we lose and we are knocking people on their ass every game and being physical. Attitude and behavior first, then players, then winning.

yes!!!

Can we play this after big wins and chant "all in all your just another brick in the wall".

[video=youtube;M_bvT-DGcWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw[/video]

Back