What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Hawkins Post-Practice News Conference Aug, 17 2008 (scrimmage)

Here's the link to the Scrimmage stats.

A couple of thoughts on today's scrimmage.

Offense

QB- Hawk looked great. Just a couple mistakes, including one interception to Jalil Brown. We are good to go with our starter. Now the backup may be in question imo. Tyler Hansen did a great job today. He's a real threat to run the ball too. The only criticizm was he may be too quick to tuck the ball and run. But he was pretty fun to watch running the ball. Ballenger did well too. Made really good decisions, and made some plays. Great touch on the ball, and can tuck it and run too. He's not as quick imo as Hansen. But a threat nonetheless.

RB- Sumler had a average day. Not great, but not terrible either. They really tooled around with the Oline today so it's hard to tell really. Darrell Scott did real well. He's such a strong kid. He can push the pile. Stewart did well. Had some decent runs early. Real shifty, and seems to have the vision. The game seems to be slowing down for him a little. He should steadily progress as the season goes on. It'll be fun to watch. Polk didn't see much time in this scrimmage. A couple of plays but not alot really.

TE- Geer had kind of a quiet day. He made some catches here and there, but its what we've come to expect from him. He's a great athlete, and a great weapon for Hawk and staff. Ryan Deehan had a good scrimmage also. Looks really big. He catches everything in site and doesn't go down on first contact. He's going to play for sure imo. Wallace also showed well, but looks really thin. Someone around me said he might have a chance to see PT because of his height. Which makes sense. He's more of a WR type of TE. And like Deehan he catches anything in site. But it might make more sense to RS him. Just throwing out options. :smile2:

WR- McKnight had the best day out of all the wr's. The kid is a scrapper. He'll make his share of big plays this year. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the squad. He's fun to watch. And has a great attitude. Stay healthy Scotty, we need you. Patrick Williams is having another great camp. I hope it translates on gameday. Jfly made some nice catches out there. He's becoming one of the best and he's only a sophmore. Did anyone see Celestine's catch! WOW! this kid has the talent. He should be a gamer. Cody Crawford made a nice grab in practice. I think he was hurt all of last year. No?

OL- Kind of had a shaky day. Allowed some sacks early on. Nothing to panic about really. I mentioned earlier that there were alot of different people being mixed in the middle. I even saw Blake Behrens lining up at center. Hmm. Never saw him line up there, but it could work. Speaking of center, Girthy messed a couple shotgun snaps up. Not many though. But mistakes we can't afford with our current schedule. MTM looks like a SR out there. Good lord that kid is a beast. He and Head should be the starters. But don't count Bahr out. Miller and Solder put in their solid work like usual. Overall not a great day. But not bad either.

Last edited:
Defense

DL- Looked solid out there. At least the DT's did. Of course Hypo and Nicholas are going to do a good job out there. That's what type of players we've been lacking for a while now. Your typical luchpale type of defensive players. Hypo is finally getting the attention he deserves, but Brandon doesn't. I hope that changes this year. The kid is awesome. I saw Cunningham a little bit. Not bad, but he did go against MTM when i noticed him. MTM is a beast. None of the DE's really stood out imo. But i really didn't pay too much attn to them. I shouldve. This is a really important position.

LB- They look ready. That's all really. Everyone looks great. Brad Jones was held out of the scrimmage because he hurt his ankle. I saw him today and it didn't look like anything serious. BJ Beatty is also still on the sideline with a deep bruise on his ankle. When he got hurt he was hauling sand so i don't think the injury is that serious either.

CB- Jalil Brown had the best scrimmage out of all the CB's. I think he had 2 interceptions today. The kid made alot of good plays. Anthony Wright saved a TD. He was draped all over JFly(I think). Jimmy Smith was held out of the scrimmage because of his back problems. Again, nothing too serious.

S- Ryan Walters played one series. Then Brown shut him down. Good move. We don't need the QB of the secondary getting hurt in practice. That would be real bad. Mahnke did well. Vince Ewing had a big hit on Rodney Stewart. This kid is a big hitter boy. Dykes is quietly having a solid camp. He gets knocked for his speed, but he makes up for that by playing smart ball. I know i've said that before, but it's true. He's a good football player.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts on today's scrimmage.

Offense

QB- Hawk looked great. Just a couple mistakes, including one interception to Jalil Brown. We are good to go with our starter. Now the backup may be in question imo. Tyler Hansen did a great job today. He's a real threat to run the ball too. The only criticizm was he may be too quick to tuck the ball and run. But he was pretty fun to watch running the ball. Ballenger did well too. Made really good decisions, and made some plays. Great touch on the ball, and can tuck it and run too. He's not as quick imo as Hansen. But a threat nonetheless.

RB- Sumler had a average day. Not great, but not terrible either. They really tooled around with the Oline today so it's hard to tell really. Darrell Scott did real well. He's such a strong kid. He can push the pile. Stewart did well. Had some decent runs early. Real shifty, and seems to have the vision. The game seems to be slowing down for him a little. He should steadily progress as the season goes on. It'll be fun to watch. Polk didn't see much time in this scrimmage. A couple of plays but not alot really.

TE- Geer had kind of a quiet day. He made some catches here and there, but its what we've come to expect from him. He's a great athlete, and a great weapon for Hawk and staff. Ryan Deehan had a good scrimmage also. Looks really big. He catches everything in site and doesn't go down on first contact. He's going to play for sure imo. Wallace also showed well, but looks really thin. Someone around me said he might have a chance to see PT because of his height. Which makes sense. He's more of a WR type of TE. And like Deehan he catches anything in site. But it might make more sense to RS him. Just throwing out options. :smile2:

WR- McKnight had the best day out of all the wr's. The kid is a scrapper. He'll make his share of big plays this year. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the squad. He's fun to watch. And has a great attitude. Stay healthy Scotty, we need you. Patrick Williams is having another great camp. I hope it translates on gameday. Jfly made some nice catches out there. He's becoming one of the best and he's only a sophmore. Did anyone see Celestine's catch! WOW! this kid has the talent. He should be a gamer. Cody Crawford made a nice grab in practice. I think he was hurt all of last year. No?

OL- Kind of had a shaky day. Allowed some sacks early on. Nothing to panic about really. I mentioned earlier that there were alot of different people being mixed in the middle. I even saw Blake Behrens lining up at center. Hmm. Never saw him line up there, but it could work. Speaking of center, Girthy messed a couple shotgun snaps up. Not many though. But mistakes we can't afford with our current schedule. MTM looks like a SR out there. Good lord that kid is a beast. He and Head should be the starters. But don't count Bahr out. Miller and Solder put in their solid work like usual. Overall not a great day. But not bad either.

I'm pretty sure the two bad snaps early in the scrimmage weren't from Girthy. I know the second one wasn't, anyway.

Buffs Show Improvement In Second Scrimmage
Courtesy: Nick Bernal, Student Assistant SID Release: 08/17/2008

BOULDER— The University of Colorado football team held their second scrimmage of the fall in front of about 1500 fans on Monday.

The scrimmage had its share of stars as starting quarterback Cody Hawkins hooked up with wide receiver Scotty McKnight for another touchdown (16 yards) on Sunday, and their third in two fall scrimmages. McKnight led all receivers with five receptions for 72 yards. Hawkins also hit wide receiver Kendrick Celestine for a 32-yard touchdown; Celestine also caught a 16-yard touchdown pass from freshman quarterback Tyler Hansen. Hansen also hit freshman tight end Ryan Wallace for a 26 yard touchdown pass later in the scrimmage.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1555575

Love the comments on McKnight. I think he's easily the most under-appreciated guy on the entire team. He is definitely one of my favorite players right now.

Back