What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Hawkins

87toInfinity

I just got back from a dinner at my grandparents' church and Coach Hawkins gave a good 45 minute speech about his philosophy on life and how he uses it in football and everything he does.

He had some good quotables, I can't remember all of them but here are a few.

About setting goals:
"If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what path you take."
"If you are on a ship and you don't know what port you are going to, the winds don't matter."

When he had to talk to the team about responsibility for their actions and how Geer and Katoa didn't start the fight, but they put themselves in a position where they had to fight and that is their responsibility and they must deal with the consequences. He used an example:
"If my wife and I go to a bar where a lot of drunk people are hanging out and some drunk guy there grabs my wife's tush, what do you think I'm going to do? I'm going to knock his teeth out. I'm going to knock his teeth out because nobody grabs my wife's tush, but we put ourselves into a bad situation."

Someone asked a question about how minority students adjust to Boulder or something and Hawk starts story telling and gets to one story about how one time he was on a recruiting trip in Florida and this recruit had a track meet and Hawk said, "Well I want to go to it. The kid's coach said, "No you can't go to it." Hawk said, "I have plenty of time and I want to go to it." The coach told him, "You can't go because you will be the only white guy there and you aren't supposed to be there." Well, you guys all know Hawk, and he went anyway. Here's his quote:
"So I get to the track meet and there are about 300-400 African Americans there and I was the only cracker."

Here is my favorite quote:
"Everyday, I visualize and think about following Ralphie out onto the field of the National Championship game and leading the Buff's to victory. When this happens, I'll just say, 'I told you so.'"

That sounds like he is here to stay for a long time. Hawk is a very special guy and we are blessed to have him!

EDIT: One more...this speech was at a Lutheran Church and Hawk said:
"It's been a busy week, but I'm glad I was able to fit you 'Lutes' into my schedule. That was your code name. 'Lutes.'" haha this dude's crazy

Last edited:
Back