What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching + Brutal Schedule

Buffskier

Club Member
Club Member
I just thought of this while reading about the CU/Cal game being finalized for next year. With 2011 football going through a brutal schedule with essentially no "weeks off", how much will that NFL coaching experience come into play for the Buffs? I mean, coaches like Embree, Bieniemy, Schrerer, and S/C coach Blacken coming directly from the NFL, I don't think that these guys will have a whole heck of a lot of trouble getting guys to be focused, fired up, and ready to go each and every Saturday! With the NFL, there really isn't an easy game to take a week off and still think that you will be able to win (unless you're playing the Broncos circa 2010).

Does anyone else think that if there had to be 1 year of absolutely BRUTAL scheduling, this is the best coaching staff possible (besides 100% NFL coaches) in order to get everybody up? I am suddenly a little bit less intimidated by the schedule for next year!

Brick #1 comes on 09/03/11!! Go Buffs!

I think it will show how good of coaches we have if they can get the guys to go out every week and be competitive, win or lose. Wins will come in time but Embree and company will change the attitude. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, tried to make it but probably failed.

That does make sense. Doesn't matter if we play a rigorous schedule if we get blown out every week, but if they show up ready to go and smash most teams in the mouth, then you know we have something good here in Boulder! I don't think the attitude change will take as long as many people think. These coaches don't seem like they are much into "loving their kids up" but rather expecting them to show up or shut up. boy is that a welcome change.

I was encouraged simply by the change in the team last season under Cabral. I am not scared of this schedule. If they get us out there and get us competitive then we have a shot to do well and get some national interest. Getting 8 or 9 maybe 10 wins out of this would be huge.

Coaching Now (Embo) = Asset
Coaching Then (D2) = Disgrace
Depth Left by Coaching Then (D2) = Liability (due in part to brutal schedule)

Therefore if:

Asset>Liability + Disgrace, then:

Oh forget it. Liability + Disgrace would have guaranteed 11 wins in 2011 and delivered a maximum of 3. Asset should do much better even when hampered by problems inherited by Disgrace, namely Liability.

Coaching Now (Embo) = Asset
Coaching Then (D2) = Disgrace
Depth Left by Coaching Then (D2) = Liability (due in part to brutal schedule)

Therefore if:

Asset>Liability + Disgrace, then:

Oh forget it. Liability + Disgrace would have guaranteed 11 wins in 2011 and delivered a maximum of 3. Asset should do much better even when hampered by problems inherited by Disgrace, namely Liability.

:woot:

Eleven in 11! Let's go Buffin'!

The schedule is only as scary as we dissect it....our schedule was supposed to be a walk in the park last year, right??? And Texas was supposed to be competing for a national title right?? And Alabama was a sure pick to re-peat their title run, right???

Truth is, the schedule is just a bunch of potentially scary names to lots of folks right now, but there is no guarantee on any of that when the season plays out....injuries, off-field incidents, new personnel, new coaches, etc., etc. pretty much make all that predicting a pure crap shoot, so if anything I'd put more weight on what can actually be changed and controlled (i.e. our team through our new coaches).

I think where the NFL experience will help (hopefully) is in devising the game plan from week to week. We are going to be at a talent disadvantage in some games this season, so hopefully the new staff is able to account for that talent disparity by exploiting weaknesses in the opposition. Above all else, winning in the NFL is about finding match-up advantages to exploit while minimizing weaknesses.

If you watch enough NFL games, even the pros coast during a couple games during the year. It is really hard to get "up" for 12 games a year in college or 16 games in the pros, there are bound to be off weeks.

I am just looking forward to a season where the HC isn't an incompetent ***. Right now, that is enough. I am so tired of watching the football equivalent of Mr. Bean at the helm I would have been happy with virtually any of the candidates mentioned for the job since it was a list of people who weren't self-absorbed jackasses.

Time will tell.

It is nice to think that Embree / Bieniemy / et al. have all the answers, know what they are doing, etc. But the fact of the matter is none of these guys have any head coaching or even coordinator experience. They will be learning on the job. This schedule is daunting for an experienced coaching staff.

I would feel better about the upcoming season if this coaching staff had been in place for 3 or 4 years. A team full of losers + a bunch of coaches with no real management / leadership experience could spell nasty disaster.

Time will tell.

It is nice to think that Embree / Bieniemy / et al. have all the answers, know what they are doing, etc. But the fact of the matter is none of these guys have any head coaching or even coordinator experience. They will be learning on the job. This schedule is daunting for an experienced coaching staff.

I would feel better about the upcoming season if this coaching staff had been in place for 3 or 4 years. A team full of losers + a bunch of coaches with no real management / leadership experience could spell nasty disaster.

I believe that the new staff knows exactly what they are doing and from what I understand Embree is the kind of guy that will ask for help if he needs it. Collectively his staff should have the ability to identify and place talent and skill and they should be able to game-plan. If they can motivate and make the players believe they can win then they will have success. If they cant do those three things then they have no business in the profession.

I believe that the new staff knows exactly what they are doing and from what I understand Embree is the kind of guy that will ask for help if he needs it. Collectively his staff should have the ability to identify and place talent and skill and they should be able to game-plan. If they can motivate and make the players believe they can win then they will have success. If they cant do those three things then they have no business in the profession.

i know what you are saying and i know what frank is saying. however, to assume that a coaching staff that has no head coaching experience anywhere on the staff is going to come in and on year one, coach lights out is a dream. IT. WILL. NOT. HAPPEN. we need to get used to that idea. there is going to be a big learning curve this season. hopefully, the size of that curve will be mitigated somewhat by bringing in coaches who have been around the block a time or two with the likes of brown, Toui, the QB coach ect. that being said, i do expect to see better coached players next year along with better game planning. however, to expect this staff to come in and not make some rookie mistakes is having your head in the sand. imo. i would expect that there will be a lot of head shaking going on next year over any number of things. play calling. clock management. halftime adjustments, ect.

i am not saying this staff will not be good or that they will not win games. im saying that there will be a learning curve and it may cost CU a game or two. i just think that is a reasonable expectation. imo.

I think the NFL experience where there's no such thing as an easy week makes a big difference.

But there's a world of difference between professionals and college kids. We also need to see leadership from upperclassmen who won't accept anyone on the team giving less than 100% any given week.

i don't know about the newfound emphasis on NFL experience. lotta NFL coaches have produced less than stellar at the collegiate level. i also don't think it's a guarantee that our lack of experience at coordinator is countered by past NFL assistant coaching straight out of the box. it's nice to have (NFL experience) and certainly can get a recruits ear on the recruiting trail...but, who knows?

there are going to be a lot of questions until the Fall rolls around.

Back