What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching staff is complete

There is no way that the salaries of the staff are going to be meaningfully-less than what was advertised.

There is no way that the salaries of the staff are going to be meaningfully-less than what was advertised.

To be fair we threw out the $2.5mil early in the search and hired MacIntyre for 2mil... so it's possible.

Tini finds it comforting to know that it's possible we aren't overpaying, just going really cheap.
No I'm more saying let's find out the whole story. Who did MM reach out to? Who turned him down? What are the assistants being paid? At this point, people are making assumptions without knowing ****. Hell, this staff hasn't even coached a practice yet. I remember people really liking Embree's staff...well...?

I don't really care who he reached out to. This is what we have. It's underwhelming on paper.

We'll see how it goes come game time, but having a former OL coaching the RBs seems a bit odd, no? Or having half the staff made up on guys that have never coached on a BCS sideline?

Negativity aside, I like the OC, the DC has a ton of experience, so our coordinators are light years better than what we've had for a long time. The position coaches are green as hell, but maybe experience in coaching is overrated? We'll see.

No I'm more saying let's find out the whole story. Who did MM reach out to? Who turned him down? What are the assistants being paid? At this point, people are making assumptions without knowing ****. Hell, this staff hasn't even coached a practice yet. I remember people really liking Embree's staff...well...?
But what difference does it really make, tini? Whether we overpaid using the full 2.6m budget, decided to save some cash on assistants, or HCMM was turned down after offering a boatload of cash to every quality assistant on the market, I don't feel any better about 2 or 3 of our assistants. The question is, regardless of how much we actually spent, is this the best staff 2.6m can buy?

But what difference does it really make, tini? Whether we overpaid using the full 2.6m budget, decided to save some cash on assistants, or HCMM was turned down after offering a boatload of cash to every quality assistant on the market, I don't feel any better about 2 or 3 of our assistants. The question is, regardless of how much we actually spent, is this the best staff 2.6m can buy?
Which comes back to the who did he reach out to and all that. If he reached out, while offering large sums of money, but was still turned down then yes it is (assuming all the money was used).

Which comes back to the who did he reach out to and all that. If he reached out, while offering large sums of money, but was still turned down then yes it is (assuming all the money was used).

Which also begs the question, why are coaches turning us down if true. What beneath the surface that we can't see affects our ability to lure quality coaches? Is it because we suck? Is it because MacIntyre doesn't have enough pull? Is it because coaches view CU as a career killer that is incapable of succeeding? What are we doing to fix those issues besides throwing money around

If you believe in MM, then you can't knock the staff until they've coached a game for CU. The whole point of hiring MM was to give him the benefit of the doubt in decision making because he's shown what it takes to win at a dire, unorganized situation.

If you don't believe in MM, then it'll be easy to second guess certain staff selections based on lack of BCS experience.

But no one knows how good/bad the assistants are until we see on the field product.

Sigh...it's a simple budget question. I mean, I don't know why it's so tough to understand. We have no figures for salaries so quit making assumptions that all the money was actually used in the process. When we have figures then we can actually discuss this but right now it's making assumptions with only one factor.

That's incredibly naive. Budgets get spent, that's reality. The money doesn't come out of Coach Mac's pocket so what's the incentive not to use it all? Unless his contract allowed him to divert any savings to his recruiting budget (for example), I would be pretty surprised if we came in materially under budget.

Mattrob hit it on the head - we had a 2.6M budget and regardless what we actually spent, I do not see a 2.6M staff here. Hope it works out though.

That's incredibly naive. Budgets get spent, that's reality. The money doesn't come out of Coach Mac's pocket so what's the incentive not to use it all? Unless his contract allowed him to divert any savings to his recruiting budget (for example), I would be pretty surprised if we came in materially under budget.

Mattrob hit it on the head - we had a 2.6M budget and regardless what we actually spent, I do not see a 2.6M staff here. Hope it works out though.

Well we had a $2.5M budget yet spent $2.0M on MM so...?

Usual procedure is when a HC is hired he brings a majority of his staff with him. That happened here. Rarely do HCs compile an all star collection of new assistants from around the country because they got a promotion. Embree did that because it was his first staff and had nothing to carry over.

As for the budget, these assistants are getting a promotion just like MM. You don't take this job, coming off of your work at SJSU, for a lateral salary move. It's the same career negotiations as anyone else. They performed at SJSU, and they're getting paid better at the next gig. It's how it works.

I'm sure a simple Google search would probably remedy this salary argument rather quickly.

Well we had a $2.5M budget yet spent $2.0M on MM so...?

If you want to go there, I was pretty underwhelmed with the HCMM hire in the first place, partly because we talked the talk about committing resources ($$) to bringing in real BCS coaches, but our search seemed to not go the way Bohn hoped. Anyway that's for another thread.

Bohn has incentive to be budget conscious...he's in charge of the budget. That $0.5M he saved hiring Mac will be spent elsewhere. So (like I said earlier) unless Mac gets to divert those savings somewhere else he would have to hand it back over to Bohn which is pretty unrealistic. Think of government agencies who somehow manage to spend every dime of their budget every year because if they return money it won't be in their budget the next year.

Slider-you were not the only one from day 1 expressing concerns about the staff HCMM was selecting. In fact I think you and I were on chat the day the first staff was announced and both voicing our displeasure and both of us getting railed for not being Kool-Aid drinkers.

I still feel the way I did then, but I am prepared to withhold significant judgement until we see the product on the field.

The only one I cannot explain is Neinas. I can understand pretty much every other hire, even if I am not thrilled with some of them. But Neinas is a complete WTF hire. He has coached on some really bad non-BCS staffs.

This staff has numerous coaches who are astoundingly inexperienced as both asst coaches and recruiters, with no pedigree whatsoever and completely lacking in experience at the BCS level. The addition of Chuck Neinas's son as an assistant, though he has a suspect coaching history, smacks of classic cronyism from the good-ole-boys network and is a perfect icing on the cake for this staff.

Most CU fans on this site wanted Embree and staff gone at any cost, and they helped create that outcome by table banging and threatening to cancel season tickets. Now it's time to live with the outcome of allowing Bohn to hire another football coach.

Kind of like the Embry staff especially the coordinators. Cannot be worse than what we had the last 2 years. At least they won as a HC and coordinators at their last stop which is a lot more than what could be said for the last staff.

The only one I cannot explain is Neinas. I can understand pretty much every other hire, even if I am not thrilled with some of them. But Neinas is a complete WTF hire. He has coached on some really bad non-BCS staffs.
You can explain it easily...it is rather obvious why Toby Neinas has a job in MB's AD.....

Which also begs the question, why are coaches turning us down if true. What beneath the surface that we can't see affects our ability to lure quality coaches? Is it because we suck? Is it because MacIntyre doesn't have enough pull? Is it because coaches view CU as a career killer that is incapable of succeeding? What are we doing to fix those issues besides throwing money around

Now these are fair questions, once we know what was spent and a bit more about how it was approached we'll know more. Obviously the 1 year deal thing means apples to apples we'll have to pay a little more for staffers because of the lack of security. But that is a problem that throwing money at should fix, what are the problems the money cant fix and how do we being to publicly address those are questions that CU really needs to begin asking themselves and at this point i don't think they doing that.

baffled by newest hire. But honestly, I won't have much more football interest till I see progress.

This is funny stuff.

Oregon once hired a guy named Chip Kelly to be their offensive coordinator. His previous experience was at New Hampshire. (He'd once been defensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins!)

Just a couple weeks ago, Oklahoma State hired a guy named Mike Yurcich to be their offensive coordinator. His previous experience was at Div. II Shippensburg with a previous stint at Edinboro U!!

Must also consider at one point we were clamoring for a Division II coach for HC.
BUT... There is a record of performance behind this hire that does not scream success at any level. That's the complaint here, Slade. That and a huge stink of micro management by Bohn. I mean, he played baseball, what chops does he have to tell MacIntyre who to hire? Not like his previous two hires have been outstanding.

This is funny stuff.

Oregon once hired a guy named Chip Kelly to be their offensive coordinator. His previous experience was at New Hampshire. (He'd once been defensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins!)

Just a couple weeks ago, Oklahoma State hired a guy named Mike Yurcich to be their offensive coordinator. His previous experience was at Div. II Shippensburg with a previous stint at Edinboro U!!
I can't speak for all, but I have no idea if T. Neinas is going to be good or not. Ditto with the rest of the staff. Maybe they will duplicate the turnaround they did at SJSU. I hope so.

My objection is it looks like Crony time at the OK Corral with MB hiring the son of the guy who got him his job at SDSU, CU and who MB used to hire DH. Some have said Neinas had a hand in MB's job at Idaho, but I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny, but we do know MB worked for CN at the CFA as well. It just looks bad. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't....

Back