What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching staff is complete

Must also consider at one point we were clamoring for a Division II coach for HC.
BUT... There is a record of performance behind this hire that does not scream success at any level. That's the complaint here, Slade. That and a huge stink of micro management by Bohn. I mean, he played baseball, what chops does he have to tell MacIntyre who to hire? Not like his previous two hires have been outstanding.

I see. So, the knee-jerk reaction by the peanut gallery is that Bohn hired Neinas.

LOL.

I can't speak for all, but I have no idea if T. Neinas is going to be good or not. Ditto with the rest of the staff. Maybe they will duplicate the turnaround they did at SJSU. I hope so.

My objection is it looks like Crony time at the OK Corral with MB hiring the son of the guy who got him his job at SDSU, CU and who MB used to hire DH. Some have said Neinas had a hand in MB's job at Idaho, but I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny, but we do know MB worked for CN at the CFA as well. It just looks bad. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't....

Is it possible - and I don't care how remote a possibility it is - is it possible that MacIntyre made the decision to hire Neinas?

I mean, I know that Mike Bohn is the spawn of Satan and should be beaten and killed on sight, but do you think there is any possibility that MacIntyre himself made the decision to hire Neinas?

Is it possible - and I don't care how remote a possibility it is - is it possible that MacIntyre made the decision to hire Neinas?

I mean, I know that Mike Bohn is the spawn of Satan and should be beaten and killed on sight, but do you think there is any possibility that MacIntyre himself made the decision to hire Neinas?

Absolutely possible, even probable that Big Mac made the hire. However, it would be silly to ignore the obvious connection between Bohn and Neinas' father, and to query whether or not that had some bearing on MacIntyre's decision.

Absolutely possible, even probable that Big Mac made the hire. However, it would be silly to ignore the obvious connection between Bohn and Neinas' father, and to query whether or not that had some bearing on MacIntyre's decision.

Meh. Doesn't matter to me, honestly. They could be step brothers for all I care.

Sure, it's possible. But out of all the AC's in the country to fill one of two spots in the staff who were not brought by MikMac, one is named Neinas? That seems unlikely unless personal connections are involved.

I've never said MB should be beaten or killed. I think seven years of losing football on his watch says more about his job performance than anything else. I truly do hope the third time is the charm becuase I am sick of watching the Buffs get beat.

Ya!! Coaching experience has no impact on actual winning!!!

Wasn't that the whole beef with Water Bottle's staff?

Experience : Brown = produced two Thorpe winners (now @ "bama); Brookhart = MAC coach of the Year at Akron after serving as OC for Pitt (last I looked Pitt was BCS); Scherer =OC at "bama and Arizona, HC at James Madison and Memphis; Kennedy = Rec Coordinator and WRs at Texas; Cabral, creator of "LB University" and interim HC with 2-1 record; EB = "best recuiter in college FB" @ UCLA; WB = top recruiter while @ CU & UCLA; Marshall, coached Gurode and Oline in last Big12 Championship team 8 yrs' in the pros, 3 years at Cal......

Staff as a whole? A ton of both college and NFL experience; in essence an ALL-Star staff! How'd that all-star staff work out?

Results?????? SHI*TY! Took 'em two years to look that disorganized and go 1-11, zero for Folsom ??????

Last edited:
Sure, it's possible. But out of all the AC's in the country to fill one of two spots in the staff who were not brought by MikMac, one is named Neinas? That seems unlikely unless personal connections are involved.

I've never said MB should be beaten or killed. I think seven years of losing football on his watch says more about his job performance than anything else. I truly do hope the third time is the charm becuase I am sick of watching the Buffs get beat.

ROTFLMAO! The coaching fraternity is very small. PERSONAL connections are the name of the game in coaching. Who cares?

Scoreboard, baby! Then bi*ch and moan! We saw lots on of "Personal connection" hires on the All-Star WB staff two years ago and the Buffs ended up with a team whose pre-game warm-ups were laughable, let alone their field performance.

Neinas can be from the worst staff in the world in D3; all I care about is how he recruits and coachs HERE! Tired of highly repped guys who suck.

ROTFLMAO! The coaching fraternity is very small. PERSONAL connections are the name of the game in coaching. Who cares?

Scoreboard, baby! Then bi*ch and moan! We saw lots on of "Personal connection" hires on the All-Star WB staff two years ago and the Buffs ended up with a team whose pre-game warm-ups were laughable, let alone their field performance.

Neinas can be from the worst staff in the world in D3; all I care about is how he recruits and coachs HERE! Tired of highly repped guys who suck.
Glad you are amused....

Holy ****.

This is one of the dumbest arguments ever. Either these guys are good coaches and recruiters or they're not. Makes no difference what experience they had previous to CU. Good coaches will succeed and ****** coaches will fail. People bitched about Baer being too old and also bitch about our staff being too young and inexperienced.

CU can not just throw out money and hope to land top assistants. Those top assistant coaches know they'll get paid, but they aren't about to risk their reputation on a program in this bad of shape. They know their chances of success are much lower hear than somewhere else.

I think Mac is about as good of a guy for this job that we could have hoped for. I like our coordinators as well. But this is going to be a long road back to BCS relevancy. Many on here still refuse to accept that and it makes reading anything about the football program damn near unbearable. Outside of any Barzil or breaking recruiting news, CU Football is off my mind until the fall.

I like the idea that we should get discount Groupon prices on the assistants, but the real world doesn't work like that. You pay a premium when you're pursuing new hires who have had recent success elsewhere.

Neinas coaching at lower levels is not what concerns me. It is that he has been a coach for some of the worst teams in college football over the last decade. Before his one-year stint at Montana (as a mere position coach no less), he was coach on teams that went a combined 19-99 over a decade. We just fired every member of Embree's staff for that level of incompetence, and rightfully so.

And yes, the whole SJSU staff had recent success. It's not as if MM was winning all by himself while surrounded by incompetent assistants.

Neinas coaching at lower levels is not what concerns me. It is that he has been a coach for some of the worst teams in college football over the last decade. Before his one-year stint at Montana (as a mere position coach no less), he was coach on teams that went a combined 19-99 over a decade. We just fired every member of Embree's staff for that level of incompetence, and rightfully so.

So you are blaming Asst. Coach Neinas for those teams going 19-99?

If the thread is to gripe about Neinas, then ok. He's questionable. Agree with that.

And Neinas' level of responsibilty for that 19-99, was what, exactly?

By your reasoning, Nick Saban and Ara Parsegian should have been passed over for their "big step up" jobs (LSU & ND respectively) since they both had rather mediocre records at their previous coaching stops, while guys like Gerry DiNardo and Joe Glenn should be considered "first rate", based solely upon their records.

And Neinas' level of responsibilty for that 19-99, was what, exactly?

By your reasoning, Nick Saban and Ara Parsegian should have been passed over for their "big step up" jobs (LSU & ND respectively) since they both had rather mediocre records at their previous coaching stops, while guys like Gerry DiNardo and Joe Glenn should be considered "first rate", based solely upon their records.

And he was only hired by garbage programs because....???? Pure coincidence?

You really think this is a good hire?

We'll see. When CU was looking for Crowder's successor they had a choice between Bill Mallory and Don James(who actually was DC with the Buffs at one point).
Mallory was the "hot" choice and was selected.

How'd that work out for CU in the long run? (hint: Chuckles the clown vs MNC at Washington?)

Nothing shows the Peter Principle at work, better than coaching. Problem is, there is no accurate predictor, particularly when you're in a profession whose overall winning percentage for the group, is only .500.

We'll see. When CU was looking for Crowder's successor they had a choice between Bill Mallory and Don James(who actually was DC with the Buffs at one point).

How'd that work out for CU in the long run? (hint: Chuckles the clown vs MNC at Washington?)

Nothing shows the Peter Principle at work, better than coaching. Problem is, there is no accurate predictor, particularly when you're in a profession whose overall winning percentage for the group, is only .500.

Nice comparison. Take a look at Neinas' resume. He basically got demoted at New Mexico, then fired, hired at a FCS program. Now he gets hired at CU and is supposed to succeed despite failing at every other stop?

What a bad example....Mallory won the co-championship of the Big 8 and took CU to an Orange Bowl and he had a winning record as Head Coach. So he was not exactly chopped liver either.

You really think this is a good hire?

I have no idea. I don't know if he's a good hire, or MacIntyre's a good hire, or any of these coaches. They haven't even coached a practice yet, let alone a game.

Ask me again in a few years and I will tell you whether I think he is a good hire, or not.

I get that picking coaches is hardly a refined science, but c'mon. This dude hasn't done anything noteworthy at any stop he has been at. 17 years in coaching and the closest he's ever been to the big time is as a GA for Mack Brown at North Carolina. This has epic fail written all over it.

No one knows how this is going to turn out. But I am not happy because it does not appear to be going in the right direction. This staff does not inspire confidence with many of the fans (as demonstrated by threads on these boards).

A big part of the issue is promises by the AD after the former staff was fired. Pronouncements were made that it would be BCS level coach and that CU was going to be very competitive in finding a staff because of a commitment of a large salary pool for assistants. These statements were made because of fans questioning the commitment of CU to winning Football and this was suppose to ease fans' concerns. Now the execution of these promises seems to be coming up short, fans of course are going to go back to the fundamental question of commitment of CU to its football program.

this is how this thread makes me feel:

[video=youtube;PpccpglnNf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PpccpglnNf0[/video]

5516264.jpeg

I do not solely blame Neinas for 19-99, but it certainly does not inspire confidence. Al Golden, Brady Hoke, and Bob Davies all passed on this rising star in the assistant coaching ranks, they let him walk.

I will also note there were some questionable hires on the last staff that were questioned well before they had coached a practice or game. Steve Marshall and Greg Brown were both met with skepticism.

JD Brookhart must be reading this thread thinking, wow they forgot how bad I was that soon? Thanks Neinas!

Back