What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Definitely want Gould. It looks like we'd have to give him a title to entice him

There is no reason to not honor your committments. These kids got offered a spot and stopped looking and visiting other places. They have not decommitted despite the drawn out search and firing the coach you recruited them.... IMO they have earned their spots on the team. Also this late in the game are you really planning on starting from scratch with new kids? Are you really thinking that you are gonna get much better talent than we have now? All the 4 and 5 star talent has narrowed options to a handful of schools.... CU is not gonna swoop in now and steal them.

And for god sake let the man bring his own coaches he wants.... saying you can only bring so many from JSJU is stupid. He hired them because he works well with them and trusts them so I say bring whoever you want and lets see if the results follow.

Blind faith

I want CU to actually step up to plate and be serious about winning in the PAC-12. That means a mix of some of his SJSU staff and scouring the nation to fill the remaining slots. That means cleaning house of everyone who was part of the 4-21 debacle. Everyone.

I would like to see him take a look at some of the following people:

Chris Klenakis: Longtime assistant under Ault at Nevada. Knows the offense that MacIntyre apparently wants to run and is a very good recruiter in Phoenix/Houston.

Paul Wulff: Still relatively young and knows the conference. Would help recruiting in the LA area.

Ron Gould: Considered one of the best recruiters on Tedford's staff at Cal and has a pretty good history with RBs that produce.

Jamie Christian: Good recruiter in the Bay area under Erickson at ASU and actually had some pretty decent special teams success there as well.

Brent Brennan: Knows the recruiting landscape in California as well as anyone as he has been a recruiting coordinator at Cal Poly and San Jose State before he started his current gig at Oregon State.

David Beaty: A longshot, but has a good rep in Dallas and has a track record doing it at non-traditional powers (Kansas and Rice).

Reggie Heyward: Very young, but building a rep as a good secondary coach and knows the LA area well.

Scottie Hazelton: From Colorado and has built up a nice background as the defensive coordinator at North Dakota State before coaching USC's LBs this season.
I actually agree with what I bolded above. The argument is about how many constitutes a "mix"? Right now it could be 4 assistants and the S&C. I think that's close to the right mix to import culture and systems. As to the # of guys retained... I don't want it to be more than 1, and hopefully it is someone in the administrative/recruiting arena, not a position coach. I basically agree with you on the philosophy. The $ we have suggests CU is serious about that philosophy. And HCMM's assistants will really determine my optimism for his tenure.

Blind faith

Or letting the people who are actually qualified to make such decisions, make such decisions. I couldn't agree more about the recruits. These kids have stuck with Colorado so far, and they deserve the scholarship that they were offered.

I actually agree with what I bolded above. The argument is about how many constitutes a "mix"? Right now it could be 4 assistants and the S&C. I think that's close to the right mix to import culture and systems. As to the # of guys retained... I don't want it to be more than 1, and hopefully it is someone in the administrative/recruiting arena, not a position coach. I basically agree with you on the philosophy. The $ we have suggests CU is serious about that philosophy. And HCMM's assistants will really determine my optimism for his tenure.

Basically half and half. If you include the strength coach, we are talking ten assistants. So five from SJSU and five from elsewhere. I think a quality coach with solid financial backing should be able to go out and attract some assistants who everyone will like.

Basically half and half. If you include the strength coach, we are talking ten assistants. So five from SJSU and five from elsewhere. I think a quality coach with solid financial backing should be able to go out and attract some assistants who everyone will like.
Well then, what are you worried about? He's only talking about 5 guys (maybe six, but one is S&C) from his staff! Plus, he made no promises as to keeping a single coach from this staff. Finally, he mentioned that he already has guys from outside of either group in mind for his staff. You are just being a worrywart.

Well then, what are you worried about? He's only talking about 5 guys (maybe six, but one is S&C) from his staff! Plus, he made no promises as to keeping a single coach from this staff. Finally, he mentioned that he already has guys from outside of either group in mind for his staff. You are just being a worrywart.

Probably.

I am also trying to emphasize it is time for CU to be a little more cutthroat. From assistants to recruiting and everything in between.

Probably.

I am also trying to emphasize it is time for CU to be a little more cutthroat. From assistants to recruiting and everything in between.
Ya. I do think MikeMac is not going to be cutthroat (preliminary guess)... it's a legit worry. But I don't think his press conference was the time to talk about cutting recruits. We will see.

I will say, Embree's staff looked good on paper (except the coordinator roles)... But none of them had really coached together, at least recently. So maybe some more coaching chemistry will be a good thing

I am not even talking about just starting from scratch in recruiting. I am saying he needs to be reasonably sold on the OL recruits or we need to go in different directions. Embree and company really left us in a bad spot there.

I will say, Embree's staff looked good on paper (except the coordinator roles)... But none of them had really coached together, at least recently. So maybe some more coaching chemistry will be a good thing

I thought the Embree staff looked terrible on paper. Of course, I view HC, OC and DC as 90% of the success ratio, and the position coaches as 10%. Position coaches were a B+, HC and coordinators were a D-. Weighted average was a D+ and that's what we saw on the field.

looks like he followed Ty Willingham around - that certainly wont help you.

Did Baer all of a sudden get his act together at SJSU? My guess is that he gets the nod to replace NewMac as HC seeing that he was a Broyles candidate this year.

http://m.sjsuspartans.com/mobile/Vi...58070&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=5600

" In 2012, Baer is coordinating one of the top defenses in the country. San Jose State (9-2, 4-1 WAC) ranks in the top-10 in fumble recoveries (1st tied), quarterback sacks (5th) and turnovers gained (8th tied). The Spartans also are in the top-25 for scoring defense (23rd) and total defense (22nd)."

For the record I like Jeffcoat. But the DB coach Clark better be an elite recruiter if we're bringing him in, especially with his inexperience as a coach

You lose me on this one.

1. MacIntyre was a DB coach himself, who's had "hist DB system" for awhile. He took that system from Ole Miss to the Jets to the Cowboys.
2. Clark has now coached under MacIntyre for 3 years after this statement was made when he hired Clark:

"Charles Clark is a great fit to our staff. He's a young man I signed out of high school. He played at Ole Miss (when I was there). He came to camp when I coached with the (New York) Jets. He was our graduate assistant at Duke working with me coaching the secondary," says MacIntyre. "I've known him since he was 18-years-old. He's a great young man, will do a terrific job with our secondary and has a bright future as a football coach."

HCMM thinks a lot of Charles Clark and Clark certainly understands MacIntyre's system for DBs.

I got no problem with that dude.

Reactions: aik
I am not even talking about just starting from scratch in recruiting. I am saying he needs to be reasonably sold on the OL recruits or we need to go in different directions. Embree and company really left us in a bad spot there.

Embo and co didn't leave the coach in a bad spot in terms of recruiting. The problem is the development of the players. I like some of the OL commits for the current class.

It is not about going out and landing 4* and 5* players. It is about getting the players in here needed to get us back on track. I suspect MacIntyre will have some tough decisions to make with the OL commits. Frankly, he needs to make some tough decisions there.

I agree completely. I doubt very much that the OL commits we have will fit right into his system as well as perhaps kids he was recruiting for the SJSU system.

Embo and co didn't leave the coach in a bad spot in terms of recruiting. The problem is the development of the players. I like some of the OL commits for the current class.

Yes they did. This class sucks for the most part.

Plus, he made no promises as to keeping a single coach from this staff. Finally, he mentioned that he already has guys from outside of either group in mind for his staff.
I think it's safe to say that Jeffcoat is one. He was specifically mentioned in the presser, re: big recruiter in Texas.

We can go back and forth about a lot of things, but there is no way you can honestly say Embree and his staff left MacIntyre with a good situation as it relates to OL recruiting. There is really no defense for what happened there in the 2012 and 2013 classes.

We can go back and forth about a lot of things, but there is no way you can honestly say Embree and his staff left MacIntyre with a good situation as it relates to OL recruiting. There is really no defense for what happened there in the 2012 and 2013 classes.

The OL recruiting was getting better this year. I agree the OL recruiting could be better, but it is not terrible.

Let me also say that "honoring a commitment" can be taken a few ways. In my experience, when a new coach comes on board, he's going to first evaluate what he needs and then he will evaluate what is committed to come in. If there is an absolutely poor fit, it is still honorable to call up the player and/or his High School coach and explain it.

I could see him calling up one or more of our OL guys and saying "We appreciate your commitment, and you are a good player for a Pro-Style system somewhere, but I have to be honest, you will not fit our system here any longer. It will be in your best interest to look around and see what else is available to you because we are not going to change our system". Most kids will take the hint right away and quietly start looking around.

It does nobody any good to "honor the commitment" if it's an awful fit, or if the coach sees a red flag. Embree's best move may have been letting Brock B go when he did. However, I'd take the UNLV QB over Dorman, so there you go.

I want CU to actually step up to plate and be serious about winning in the PAC-12. That means a mix of some of his SJSU staff and scouring the nation to fill the remaining slots. That means cleaning house of everyone who was part of the 4-21 debacle. Everyone.

I would like to see him take a look at some of the following people:

Chris Klenakis: Longtime assistant under Ault at Nevada. Knows the offense that MacIntyre apparently wants to run and is a very good recruiter in Phoenix/Houston.

Paul Wulff: Still relatively young and knows the conference. Would help recruiting in the LA area.

Ron Gould: Considered one of the best recruiters on Tedford's staff at Cal and has a pretty good history with RBs that produce.

Jamie Christian: Good recruiter in the Bay area under Erickson at ASU and actually had some pretty decent special teams success there as well.

Brent Brennan: Knows the recruiting landscape in California as well as anyone as he has been a recruiting coordinator at Cal Poly and San Jose State before he started his current gig at Oregon State.

David Beaty: A longshot, but has a good rep in Dallas and has a track record doing it at non-traditional powers (Kansas and Rice).

Reggie Heyward: Very young, but building a rep as a good secondary coach and knows the LA area well.

Scottie Hazelton: From Colorado and has built up a nice background as the defensive coordinator at North Dakota State before coaching USC's LBs this season.

I don't know too much about all of these people but it seems like to get Wulff and Hazelton you would have to offer them the coordinator jobs.

The OL recruiting was getting better this year. I agree the OL recruiting could be better, but it is not terrible.

Proof that it wasn't. The numbers were greater than last year. The quality is really questionable, independent of Maximus' opinion btw.

Proof that it wasn't. The numbers were greater than last year. The quality is really questionable, independent of Maximus' opinion btw.

Like the pickups of Nembot, Mustoe, Irwin, Kelly. Also like the guys that are currently committed like Huckins and Sutton.

I'm with Slider - concerned about how many folks he is bringing with him, and also concerned that it doesn't look like he is going to shake up the recruiting class.

Part of the problem with shaking up the recruiting class is the short fuse. He probably wants a head start. How many schollies are we going to end up with?

Back