What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody slam on Josh Smith?

I don't think it was just about Smith, they also lost a QB and others over the summer.

And cody's first weeks in the program he would have seen the program lose a projected starting QB for similar reasons.

I'm not concerned who the comments may have been about. The players probably shouldn't say anything to the press regarding anyone who leave because there is a good chance some of the press people will screw up the comments and the true meaning may be distorted. Most of us back in ancient football times, you know, back around 300 B.C., couldn't care less when someone left. The next guy moved up and we all looked forward. I'm indifferent about anyone who leaves, except for someone who takes shots at the program after they leave. That will likely get a response from me.

I'm not concerned who the comments may have been about. The players probably shouldn't say anything to the press regarding anyone who leave because there is a good chance some of the press people will screw up the comments and the true meaning may be distorted. Most of us back in ancient football times, you know, back around 300 B.C., couldn't care less when someone left. The next guy moved up and we all looked forward. I'm indifferent about anyone who leaves, except for someone who takes shots at the program after they leave. That will likely get a response from me.

Amen. And to Josh's credit, he has not taken any shots at the program.

Cody should keep his mouth shut and work on throwing passes that don't get tipped every 3rd pass.

Amen. And to Josh's credit, he has not taken any shots at the program.

And the bdc blog said that jfly had talked to Simmons, and that he didn't say anything bad about the school or coaches. I hated to see him go (maybe because I think it's a rash decision) but wish him the best of luck.

I guess the further I get away from the JS decision, the more I feel that he actually DOES want a degree in producing music; that is where he sees his future, and realises that he needs to get this education paid for with the football ability, which is good enough for college, but not good enough for the NFL, or he just knows that he does not want the wear and tear on his body of that career.

Flat out, he sounds like he was grown up, knows what he wants to do, and is getting it paid for while he can. Maybe he is making a better decision than I originally gave him credit for. JS has to take care of JS's future.

I guess the further I get away from the JS decision, the more I feel that he actually DOES want a degree in producing music; that is where he sees his future, and realises that he needs to get this education paid for with the football ability, which is good enough for college, but not good enough for the NFL, or he just knows that he does not want the wear and tear on his body of that career.

Flat out, he sounds like he was grown up, knows what he wants to do, and is getting it paid for while he can. Maybe he is making a better decision than I originally gave him credit for. JS has to take care of JS's future.

It's interesting that there's been near complete silence from Josh, USC and UCLA about his future plans. The longer it takes, the more I wonder if he's not going to attend either place. Seems like an announcement would have been forthcoming if he'd been able to be accepted. Maybe admission decisions just take longer than expected in the summer.

I don't think anyone would or should be slamming Patrick Williams. ... As an aside, I was in Chey-ho at the same time as him and he was a nice guy. No swollen ego or any of that BS.

That being said, I really think Cody needs to work on his own game before he calls out anyone else. He is currently in the bottom tier of Big 12 QB's.

Maybe it is just me, but I'm not sure I like Hansen calling out Kotoa the other day and now this. Best just left alone IMO.

i disagree....qb's are the leaders of the team and they need to step up and call some people out when it is warranted. keep effing up and it IS warranted. do the right thing, show up on time, work hard, stay out of trouble and you won't have to worry about 'being called out'.....common sense. truth hurts sometimes.

i disagree....qb's are the leaders of the team and they need to step up and call some people out when it is warranted. keep effing up and it IS warranted. do the right thing, show up on time, work hard, stay out of trouble and you won't have to worry about 'being called out'.....common sense. truth hurts sometimes.

And should it be done in the papers every single time as well? I have no problem with teammates calling others out. As you say, QBs are the leaders of the team and that sometimes involves holding others accountable. I am just a bit uneasy when you start doing it in the media because innocent comments can be taken completely out of context. Seems to me it would best be left "in house."

And should it be done in the papers every single time as well? I have no problem with teammates calling others out. As you say, QBs are the leaders of the team and that sometimes involves holding others accountable. I am just a bit uneasy when you start doing it in the media because innocent comments can be taken completely out of context. Seems to me it would best be left "in house."

Especially in the denver media. Hacks like kiszla and kreiger love any controversy or negative angle they can get.

Okay, my conspiracy rant is over....

:yeahthat:
Calling them out to the media just hurts the program and makes the team look disfunctional

Agreed, these types of things need to stay out of the media. We have all heard the stories about how someone or a group of atheletes were called out by a coach or player for something they did wrong or their performance, only to hear them say later "he/she should look in the mirror" or "point he/she the finger at themself" So when the issue at hand is made public and leaked to the media there only recourse is to defend themself publicly. This kinda crap can create a cancer in the locker room too.

wow...it doesn't seem to stop. Think Scotty was talking about JSmith here? I gotta say they need ot let this rest
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204763662

Of course he was talking about Smith. Big f***ing deal. 99.9 percent of the article was about the two freshman working their asses off, something McK and Cody apparently felt J-Fly never really attempted.

Talk about needing to let it rest. Every time someone associated with the program mentions ex-players lack of work ethic were gonna get a lecture on bygones?!?!?!?!

Of course he was talking about Smith. Big f***ing deal. 99.9 percent of the article was about the two freshman working their asses off, something McK and Cody apparently felt J-Fly never really attempted.

Talk about needing to let it rest. Every time someone associated with the program mentions ex-players lack of work ethic were gonna get a lecture on bygones?!?!?!?!

Settle down sugar tits. The point of this thread was to discuss this topic. If it gets you this fired up maybe you should stick to the poll of the day...no sense risking some sort of cardiac event.

wow...it doesn't seem to stop. Think Scotty was talking about JSmith here? I gotta say they need ot let this rest
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204763662

Based on the source, it's increasingly difficult to separate "in the media" and "keep it in house."

When BG calls Josh "talented and enigmatic", he is now doing so as an employee of CU. He could have suppressed any quotes about the commitment of departing players. But the more he suppresses, the less he is a reporter and the more he becomes a PR guy.

Until it's reported that Josh gets into UCLA or finds a home for himself somewhere else this fall, it's best not to stir the pot. I hand it to Josh for keeping his quotes out of the press thus far. At some point, it will be interesting to hear what Josh has to say about his time in Boulder.

Ideally that will moment will come after CU has had a 10 and no 2009 season and Darrell Scott has put up over 1200 yards rushing.

I think it was a "jab" at Smith for sure and I like it. Personally I think Smith was way overrated. He ran back that kickoff against CSU and then it was like everyone thought he was the next Devin Hester. He was OK but not great. He dropped a lot of balls and ran sloppy patterns.

It hurts more in the sense that before Josh left we still had hope that he would put it all together and become an All-Big XII caliber WR. The potential was definitely there.

With his departure, we lose a 4.4 guy that collected 54 receptions for 878 yards the last two seasons. Josh collected 80 yards receiving and a TD against FSU and would've had a second and over 100 yards if Cody had got the ball to him. He also caught a great TD pass against EWU. And don't forget his great start to the WVU game. He was becoming a big game player early on last season before several injuries crippled our offense. Maybe the effort never would've been there. And maybe the frustrating/bonehead plays would've continued throughout his career. Hell, even I made the argument that we will be a better team without Josh in the lineup. But, as the initial disappointment of his departure is wearing off, I can see that losing an experienced WR with gamebreaking ability will hurt us this season (Just like losing Faatagi or Simas last season). Hopefully Simas/Espinoza/Ussery or Simmons can fill the void by playing assignment sound football. But, it would be nice to build some depth at WR and not constantly have to count on a guy who has never played a down.

As for taking shots at a former player, I would say it is best to keep quiet, lead by example and keep this stuff out of the media. If you need to address a player's laziness and reluctance to learn the playbook do so behind close doors or face to face while the guy is still here. And maybe Cody tried that several times, but I don't see how you gain the respect of your teammates by throwing a former player under the bus.

The season can't get here soon enough. Winning cures all.

Didn't mean to post the link twice, but if you click the link below you'll see a much higher release by Cody.

Last edited:
i am not sure if it is possible in today's world of instant communication for an athlete to say something and not have it leaked to a source of some sort (blog, etc). nor am i convinced that everyone would be happy if the kids were no longer allowed to talk to the media to avoid a potential situation from brewing.

i am less concerned over whether a kid made a remark about another - it is not the first time it happened, and it will not be the last. i am concerned about whether the buffs will be ready to play.

the media outlets will write whatever is marketable. apparently enough people want the drama as opposed to something else.

like i said, do the right thing, work hard and you won't have to worry about being called out, privately or otherwise.

Back