What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Coaches Salary Database

There is no such thing as job security in the age of 20MM/year payouts per conference schools. It is overblown. Good for a HC and sucks for assistants, but isn't anything more cash couldn't resolve.

Mike Riley's salary is surprising. OSU is getting a pretty good deal there.

Is am assistant going to come out and say that? They will just say they found a better opportunity and thanks for the time in Colorado. I'm sure we had some coaches make a lateral move.

No, so I'll refer you to BuffNut's comment...

There aren't exactly exit interviews available to tell us why coaches leave for other jobs. The key info comes from the interviews, where they tell you what is important to them. I can tell you that the multi-year contract thing has never come up in interviews of candidates that CU has been serious about hiring. Those who have turned us down over the years had other reasons.

It didn't seem to hurt us throughout the 90's and into the mid-2000's, I doubt it hurts us now with a whole lot more money to spend. Sure we may have to pay a little more, but that's about as far as I see it going.

Mike Riley's salary is surprising. OSU is getting a pretty good deal there.

U$C wanted him before they hired Kiffin too. Sometimes it just shows that when you have enough, making more isn't always what's in your interest.

Year I was born if it was '92

Anyway, we were good from the early-90's to the mid-2000's so I'm curious if the issue ever popped up for a coach leaving here because he wasn't guaranteed more than one year.
Someone already said Grimes. Bottomline is this, if a position is choosing between here and another program, the salaries are the same but he gets a multi-year deal somewhere else, he'll likely take the other position. Being bad is a bigger issue, so I agree with you there. So do you think when coaches leave because they can't raise a family here, it will be a good problem to have? (I don't)

We have to get into position where people would want our coaches.

I hear we have a ST coach....

We have to get into position where people would want our coaches.

I hear we have a ST coach....
Yeah when you suck, it doesn't really matter. But at the same time, any new head football coach can only offer one of their assistants a good deal.

Didn't know Obrien got so much for his first HC gig at PSU, and a 40% raise after 1 year.
Not that he deserved it but it's all about leverage after he interviewed with the NFL -- they probably didn't think they could afford to "start over" at this point.

Contracts aren't always what they are actually worth, but how much they can command on the open-market and how much their services are in demand.

Back