What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Flirt with Neb, get a contract extension. Rinse. Repeat.
Nebraska has to be good for something.

Someday an AD is going to call a coach on the threat. "Have you been to Stinkoln?" "Have you told your wife that she is expected to wear red polyester for all scheduled events?" "Have you checked weather.com?" "Ever driven past a feedlot or a sewage plant? That is what you will smell for the next few years there."

tOSU say no to the Rose Bowl…

Crazy to think that the Rose Bowl is no longer considered something that teams want or consider a reward for a good season.

Might turn out to make a better game though.

Penn State started the season slow and spent the entire season trying to get back to the top. The Rose Bowl might be an affirmation to them.

Ohio State wanted to be in the playoff, anything less is a failure. Hard to tell how much effort they would be willing to put into a bowl game. They have a lot of guys who are going to be going into the draft this year and it's easy to see a bus load of guys making a business decision and skipping the bowl entirely. Could also see a coordinator or two moving on to head coaching jobs if they open and other assistants moving up and out.

Crazy to think that the Rose Bowl is no longer considered something that teams want or consider a reward for a good season.

Might turn out to make a better game though.

Penn State started the season slow and spent the entire season trying to get back to the top. The Rose Bowl might be an affirmation to them.

Ohio State wanted to be in the playoff, anything less is a failure. Hard to tell how much effort they would be willing to put into a bowl game. They have a lot of guys who are going to be going into the draft this year and it's easy to see a bus load of guys making a business decision and skipping the bowl entirely. Could also see a coordinator or two moving on to head coaching jobs if they open and other assistants moving up and out.
They mailed it in last year vs Utah for sure. I’m trying to figure out what they are going to do instead. Are they just not going to participate in a bowl game?

They mailed it in last year vs Utah for sure. I’m trying to figure out what they are going to do instead. Are they just not going to participate in a bowl game?
Very much doubt they will pass on going to a bowl. The conference has contracts to fill and the AD likes the money. It's also a big deal to the donors and fans (who really want an excuse to leave the midwest for someplace warm.

Might instead take the B1G bowl slot 2-4 with less pressure. These would be the Citrus, the Tampa Bay, and the Music City.

Very much doubt they will pass on going to a bowl. The conference has contracts to fill and the AD likes the money. It's also a big deal to the donors and fans (who really want an excuse to leave the midwest for someplace warm.

Might instead take the B1G bowl slot 2-4 with less pressure. These would be the Citrus, the Tampa Bay, and the Music City.
Less pressure? Doing that makes no sense to me.

It would be so juicy if the Rose Bowl and City of Pasadena sued the B1G for breach of contract.
I'd love to see it because. . well B1G. . . but not going to happen.

Penn State will probably give them a much more entertaining game.

Penn State also travels very well and considering the disappointment with the Buckeyes fans not going to the playoff they might actually make a lot more money with Penn State.

I'd love to see it because. . well B1G. . . but not going to happen.

Penn State will probably give them a much more entertaining game.

Penn State also travels very well and considering the disappointment with the Buckeyes fans not going to the playoff they might actually make a lot more money with Penn State.
Anecdotal but hard for me to envision any scenario with PSU traveling better than OSU

Anecdotal but hard for me to envision any scenario with PSU traveling better than OSU
Normally no question but I wonder how many tOSU fans were expecting to be at the playoffs. PSU has traveled very well for East Coast bowls. How will they look at a trip to California?

Don’t see how that breaches the contract.
I don't know. Might be grounds. I think it's similar to if an executive at a company you've partnered with publicly renounced the appeal of the joint product. I don't think OSU has done that, but they should be careful not to do so.

Bowl games are toast.

Not a few, all of them.

Forget about 7-5 or 8-4; 10-2 is no longer a good season with a reward at the end if you don't make the playoffs.
Do you mean they’re going away? Or that nobody is going to watch them?

Do you mean they’re going away? Or that nobody is going to watch them?

Yes.

I don’t know why they don’t go full blown FCS Playoff and do 24 teams with top 8 getting byes. It’s clearly the best model for the sport at this point

I don't think it's the "best," but rather the only available option given "restraints" that the actors view as unchangeable.

But, yes - that's we're headed. 24 team playoff, and small handful of bowl games (say 5 +/- 3). Which means that 40 to 50 teams that would have had a postseason bowl game, won't.

tOSU declining any bowl invitation is where the trickle starts. The Rose will have no problem finding a different team, but the Quick Lane Bowl will struggle with finding a team, selling seats and capturing viewers.

The bowls were already struggling; this attitude, once as it gains traction, will only accelerate their demise.

Note: won't happen next year. But that's where we're headed.

Yes.

I don't think it's the "best," but rather the only available option given "restraints" that the actors view as unchangeable.

But, yes - that's we're headed. 24 team playoff, and small handful of bowl games (say 5 +/- 3). Which means that 40 to 50 teams that would have had a postseason bowl game, won't.

tOSU declining any bowl invitation is where the trickle starts. The Rose will have no problem finding a different team, but the Quick Lane Bowl will struggle with finding a team, selling seats and capturing viewers.

The bowls were already struggling; this attitude, once as it gains traction, will only accelerate their demise.

Note: won't happen next year. But that's where we're headed.
I think we’re really headed to G5 doing it’s own thing. So if you consider 24 of the 65 P5 teams in a playoff, I think that’s a good amount.

I’m fine with 6-6 and 7-5 not being rewarded

Back