What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Yes.

I don't think it's the "best," but rather the only available option given "restraints" that the actors view as unchangeable.

But, yes - that's we're headed. 24 team playoff, and small handful of bowl games (say 5 +/- 3). Which means that 40 to 50 teams that would have had a postseason bowl game, won't.

tOSU declining any bowl invitation is where the trickle starts. The Rose will have no problem finding a different team, but the Quick Lane Bowl will struggle with finding a team, selling seats and capturing viewers.

The bowls were already struggling; this attitude, once as it gains traction, will only accelerate their demise.

Note: won't happen next year. But that's where we're headed.
No.
They aren't going anywhere. ESPN and the bowls have to much money invested in the product to ditch all non-playoff bowls.
People will continue to watch them because its football.

No.
They aren't going anywhere. ESPN and the bowls have to much money invested in the product to ditch all non-playoff bowls.
for the near term, certainly.

but man, is the value of the bowls going crater if it becomes more of a thing for P5 schools to decline non-CFP bids.

I think we’re really headed to G5 doing it’s own thing. So if you consider 24 of the 65 P5 teams in a playoff, I think that’s a good amount.

I’m fine with 6-6 and 7-5 not being rewarded
You may be right, but then what does the G5 look like?

Do they get their own separate playoff?

How many college football playoffs does that get us - 4 (6 if you count DIII & NAIA)?

DII & FCS get minimal viewers and attendance today - will the G5 playoff do better than them if they're competing against the P5 playoff?

I mean, maybe we're just entering a new phase of arguing about how good teams are with no way of actually settling it on the field (i.e. "how deep would the G5 playoff winner go in the P5 playoff?). Maybe that's ok, as I viewed those post season discussions arguments as a feature of the old bowl system, not a bug - it kept people talking about college football for months during the off season, and random OOC games all at once became big-time grudge matches.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I think we're going down a path where the stratification of college football becomes ossified where it's almost impossible to move between strata, and in the long-run I think it's bad for the game. The rich get richer is never good for the whole in the long run.

Now, if there were a relegation system that allowed some movement based on performance between the strata, I'd be all in (even though dear ol' CU would have been ****ed over the last 20 years in such a system).

This.

Anyone who can't see that is exhibiting serious naivety IMO.
That's funny because I was thinking the same thing about people saying bowls are going away. I hope like hell you're wrong because bowl season is awesome.

No.
Don’t most teams lose money going to bowls?

You may be right, but then what does the G5 look like?

Do they get their own separate playoff?

How many college football playoffs does that get us - 4 (6 if you count DIII & NAIA)?

DII & FCS get minimal viewers and attendance today - will the G5 playoff do better than them if they're competing against the P5 playoff?

I mean, maybe we're just entering a new phase of arguing about how good teams are with no way of actually settling it on the field (i.e. "how deep would the G5 playoff winner go in the P5 playoff?). Maybe that's ok, as I viewed those post season discussions arguments as a feature of the old bowl system, not a bug - it kept people talking about college football for months during the off season, and random OOC games all at once became big-time grudge matches.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I think we're going down a path where the stratification of college football becomes ossified where it's almost impossible to move between strata, and in the long-run I think it's bad for the game. The rich get richer is never good for the whole in the long run.

Now, if there were a relegation system that allowed some movement based on performance between the strata, I'd be all in (even though dear ol' CU would have been ****ed over the last 20 years in such a system).
Would they be? They might do well relegated. We’ve still beat most FCS teams over this **** stretch.

I read that the top 4 highest rated conf champs get byes.

#SuckitND

I was never for expansion but knew the reality that it's been coming for a couple years now and the system they came up with should satisfy both sides - those who think conference champs deserve to get vs. Put in the best teams regardless of conference. I haven't read all the details and maybe they haven't been sorted out yet so there could be stipulations on conference champs, but I'm still against conference champs if a low-ranked or unranked team pulls an upset. There's 3 good examples this week if they were to win - UNC, UCF, and Purdue. No way any of those 3 should get a bid into a 12-team playoff just because they pulled an upset in 1 game. But I will say that this should be offset quite a bit if not completely with the elimination of divisions, assuming all conferences go that way.

Would they be? They might do well relegated. We’ve still beat most FCS teams over this **** stretch.
Yeah, but we're talking about g5.

In a relegation model, we'd have been borderline most of this whole stretch.

Probably would have been relegated once or twice, but pulled back up the next season or two.

A positive change for football IMO, although it's going to suck when half the teams are SEC & B1G. That said, the P10 is going to have a much easier route to the playoff than they do now.

The money made it inevitable but it will only be a matter of time until a 3 loss 11th seed beats a 2 seed that lost their key players to injury to win the title.

One of the big appeals to me about college football has always been that every game matters and that every game is a potential (probable) elimination game for the championship.

Now it's going to be about just being good enough to get in and being hot at the right time. Losing a game or games in season won't matter as long as you can be in the 12.

Thanks to wagering.
Idris Elba Reaction GIF

Fingers crossed he can stay healthy next year since this was the first year I think he played a full season. I hope he dominates and plays his way to a sure-fire first round pick.

Back