What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

The major corporations would look to lock up players on a long term deal to carry them into the player’s pro career. I don’t know if there is the lift to sign football players exiting high school. Just too many busts and very little value for several years. A high school Penn State football player means nothing to NYC. With football, I honestly think it will be the local regional businesses shelling out some cash, more so than major corporations.

Basketball is where you have a much higher chance of hitting on that can’t miss prospect that you’d want to lock up for years. Problem is, the NBA is set to eliminate the one year college rule again, and developmental leagues are capturing more talent. College basketball is retreating to 2nd tier talent (not necessarily a bad thing).

Once it all shakes out, I see the following:
1. General power structure will stay the same. Blue bloods will continue to get their players.
2. Some schools in major urban areas may do better that they traditionally have (say Maryland or Rutgers here)
3. Universities will fare the worst, as contributions that formally had to be funneled through the AD will now be more linear to the players.
4. Players are the big winners. They get an opportunity at an education and may get paid.
5. Wildcard - Covid 19 may make it all less relevant. If the 2020 season is cancelled and ADs need more financial assistance from the general fund, look for a wider push to decouple athletics from the core educational mission, which would follow a similar decoupling pattern of tying health care to the jobs market. Neither link really makes much sense.

I think many here are leaving out the potential positive impact on the non-revenue sport athletes. Think gymnastics. If Simone Biles can make bank and get a college education to boot, she’ll do it. How about if Michael Phelps could stay in college and get paid? This whole thing started because Jeremy Bloom exposed a giant hypocrisy in the NCAA rule book. I believe we will see a lot more money going towards traditionally non-revenue sports due to superstar Olympians coming back from the games and going to college.

I think many here are leaving out the potential positive impact on the non-revenue sport athletes. Think gymnastics. If Simone Biles can make bank and get a college education to boot, she’ll do it. How about if Michael Phelps could stay in college and get paid? This whole thing started because Jeremy Bloom exposed a giant hypocrisy in the NCAA rule book. I believe we will see a lot more money going towards traditionally non-revenue sports due to superstar Olympians coming back from the games and going to college.
I just think all athletes, especially Olympic athletes, hit a point where there is no reason for them to be in college anymore. They need to dedicate all of their time towards training, nutrition, etc. so they won’t be at a university anyways.

I just think all athletes, especially Olympic athletes, hit a point where there is no reason for them to be in college anymore. They need to dedicate all of their time towards training, nutrition, etc. so they won’t be at a university anyways.
Really? Maybe briefly, but clearly a college education is important to Olympic athletes.

The ND-Navy game originally scheduled to be played in Ireland will be played on Navy's campus in Annapolis. First time in this long-running series that the game will be played on Navy's campus, which is pretty cool. The game will also be played on Labor Day weekend instead of the week before.

This guy have a rep for being a liar? I really don't know much about him, heard the name sure.

Rumors and innuendos have swirled around Norvell on various message boards, but nothing concrete. A few SEC schools were rumored to have crossed him off their coaching short list after a vetting process. As I said, nothing substantiated, however.

Back