What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Daily

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

January 1st
UCLA star linebacker to return for senior season
From ESPN … UCLA junior linebacker Anthony Barr, a potential first-round draft pick, will be back for his senior season.
After switching from running back to outside linebacker this past year in UCLA’s 3-4 scheme under new head coach Jim Mora, Barr flourished in the role and was one of the premier defensive players in the country in 2012.
He was a first-team selection to the All-Pac-12 team while compiling 13.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for a loss — which ranked in the top 10 nationally for both categories before the start of the bowl season.
ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. had Barr at No. 10 on his Big Board.
“I have carefully explored my options and have decided to continue my football career with UCLA,” Barr said in a statement released through the school Monday. “I felt a strong connection with my teammates and coaches that I do not want to see end. I will continue to pursue my degree and take part in the team drills after the holidays. The time will come soon enough to live my dream of playing at the next level.”
Wide Receiver Robert Woods announces for NFL Draft
From ESPN … USC wide receiver Robert Woods announced Monday that he will declare for the NFL Draft.
“I feel like I accomplished a lot at USC and I’m very prepared to play at the next level,” Woods said in a Hyundai Sun Bowl postgame radio interview. “I would like to thank my coaches and teammates for everything they helped me with in my career at USC.”
Woods is the No. 41 overall player for the 2013 draft, ranked by ESPN’s Scouts Inc. He could be an option for the Houston Texans late in the first round, according to ESPN’s Todd McShay.
After a Pac-12 record 111 catches last season, Woods had surgery on his ankle and sat out spring drills and offseason workouts before the 2012 season. When the year began, it was clear that the top spot in the USC receiver corps belonged to Woods’ former high school teammate, Marqise Lee, who went on to be named the Biletnikoff Award winner. Woods still managed to catch 76 balls in 2012 to go along with 11 touchdowns.
Woods said after the Sun Bowl that his decline in targets this season did not play “much” of a role in his decision to forego his senior year. But he admitted it was considered.
“If the coaches wanted to keep me another year, they would’ve probably got me the ball,” he said.
December 31st
Boise State staying in the Mountain West
Well, it never made sense for Boise State to play in the “Big East”, anyway …
From ESPN … Boise State will remain a member of the Mountain West Conference and will not join the Big East in 2013.
The Broncos’ decision, confirmed in news releases by the the school and Mountain West on Monday, is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years.
“As I’ve stated many times, I have had the utmost trust that the university would make the right decision in what is best for Bronco football and all our sports at Boise State,” football coach Chris Petersen said in the statement. “This innovative proposal to get football the maximum exposure on national television will be a tremendous boost to our program as we continue to grow the Bronco brand.
The Broncos will remain a Mountain West member in all sports instead of joining the Big East next year as a football-only member and the Big West in all other sports.
Although Boise State never spent a day in the Big East, the Broncos still must pay a $5 million exit fee to the Big East, though Boise State officials said there are contract provisions that could lower that amount. The Mountain West is expected to help pay that fee, sources said.
As devastating as Boise State’s decision is to the Big East, it’s just as big a boost to the future of the Mountain West.
“Maintaining the Broncos program as part of the already solid foundation we have established creates a posture of great stability for the Mountain West going forward,” commissioner Craig Thompson said in the statement. “It also enhances the conference’s competitive and marketplace platforms, positioning us favorably in the evolving FBS landscape.”
With Boise State remaining in the MWC, the league will have 11 football members in 2013: Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawai’i, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.
Boise State’s decision also will impact the Mountain West’s television deal. Last week, the MWC and CBS agreed to restructure their deal, which will allow the Mountain West to sell packages to two other networks. With Boise State remaining, the value of the MWC’s deal could increase to at least $25 million, sources told ESPN.
Meanwhile, the Big East must still try to negotiate its new media-rights deal — the league’s basketball deal will expire after this season, and the football deal will expire after the 2013-14 season — with an uncertain future.

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back