What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Daily

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=2]Colorado Daily[/h]April 4th
Athlon rates Mike MacIntyre the No. 6 coach in the Pac-12
Considering the rankings for Jon Embree (11th or 12th)*the past few seasons, it comes as*a pleasant surprise that Athlon rates CU head coach Mike MacIntyre as the No. 6 coach in the Pac-12.
Here is a link to the full rankings, while this is what they had to say about Mac-2:
MacIntyre has a tough job ahead of him at Colorado, but his previous stint at San Jose State shows he is up for the task. In three years with the Spartans, MacIntyre recorded a 16-21 overall mark and led the program to a top-25 finish in the Associated Press poll at the conclusion of 2012. San Jose State was not in great shape when MacIntyre arrived in 2010, as the program went 8-16 in Dick Tomey’s last two years and had just one winning season from 2001-09. After a 1-12 record in 2010, MacIntyre’s team showed steady improvement by winning five games in ’11 and 11 last fall. The Spartans’ only losses in 2012 came to Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champion Stanford and a very good Utah State team in mid-October. The Buffaloes are in need of major repair after seven consecutive losing seasons. It may take some time for MacIntyre to get Colorado in contention for a bowl game, but expect the Buffaloes to show marked improvement in 2013.
Not bad …
April 3rd
Scouting Central Arkansas …
This would have been a great April Fool’s Day posting, but it’s true …
There are some Buff fans who are already wringing their hands about Colorado taking on Central Arkansas in the 2013 home opener.
After all, CU’s record against 1-AA – FCS – schools is far from impeccable. Dan Hawkins lost the first-ever game against an FCS school, falling to Montana State in 2006. The Buffs needed two late touchdowns to take down Eastern Washington a few years later, and, last year, the Buffs lost to Sacramento State.
Enter Central Arkansas, the Buffs’ FCS opponent on September 7th.
The Bears went 9-3 last season, losing only to FCS playoff teams and Ole Miss. Most of the team will be back this fall.
So, in checking out Central Arkansas, I wanted to see who the Bears were playing before coming to Boulder.
Central Arkansas does have a warm up game, against …
… wait for it …
The University of the Incarnate Word.
I kid you not.
The University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals, according to their website,*are making the move to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision and the Southland Conference in 2013. They will not play a full Southland Conference schedule until 2014, but will have five Southland schools on the schedule in 2013. UIW (as we will come to know it) is the fourth-largest private University in the state of Texas, and will officially join Division 1 on June 1st.
So, look for Central Arkansas to roll into Boulder on September 7th with some verrrry impressive statistics.
April 2nd
Chuck Fairbanks dead at the age of 79
Former CU head coach Chuck Fairbanks has died, a victim of brain cancer. He was 79.
Fairbanks coached the University of Colorado from 1978-81. Fairbanks compiled a 7-26 record before leaving CU in May of 1982 for the New Jersey Generals of the United States Football League. Previously, Fairbanks coached at Oklahoma from 1967-72, posting a 52-15-1 record, before leaving for the New England Patriots of the NFL.
The CU at the Game archives begins in 1980, but if you are interested in Chuck Fairbanks’ tenure at CU, there are writeups on every game from the 1980 and ’81 seasons, including the Indiana game in 1980, which includes quotes from the infamous Sports Illustrated article on Fairbanks’ desk from September, 1980.
The story from that week, which included a 49-7 home loss to Indiana (with the Hoosiers coached by Lee Corso, no less!), and the Douglas Looney article, “There Ain’t No More Gold in Them Thar Hills“, can be found here.

Pac-12*not concerned by*”inappropriate comments” by officials coordinator Ed Rush
From ESPN … Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, responding to a CBSSports.com report that basketball coordinator of officiating Ed Rush made inappropriate statements targeting Arizona coach Sean Miller, acknowledged Monday that the conference has investigated Rush and found that the statements were made with no ill will intended.
“Based on the review, we have concluded that while Rush made inappropriate comments that he now regrets during internal meetings that referenced rewards, he made the comments in jest and the officials in the room realized they were not serious offers,” Scott said in a statement.
CBSSports.com reported that before the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas, Rush told a group of referees that he would pay $5,000 or a trip to Cancun if they either “rang him up” or “ran him,” meaning hit Miller with a technical or toss him out of the game. An unnamed source identified as a referee told CBSSports.com that Rush “was emphatic about not dealing with (Miller). He made that perfectly clear.”
During Arizona’s 66-64 loss to UCLA in the conference tournament semifinal, referee Michael Irving called a controversial technical foul on Miller after the coach argued a double dribble call on Wildcats guard Mark Lyons. The CBSSports.com report identified Irving as one of the referees present when Rush offered the incentive. Miller was later fined $25,000 for confronting an official and inappropriate behavior toward a Pac-12 staff member in an area hallway after the game.
“The reason I got the technical foul is because I said, ‘He touched the ball. He touched the ball,’” Miller said after the Pac-12 tournament loss, repeating the phrase three more times.
“They don’t talk to me,” Miller said of the referees. “If I cuss and I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me. When I say, ‘He touched the ball, he touched the ball,’ because I thought the two of them could have maybe gotten together and explained that, in fact, he did touch the ball.”
Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne said in a statement Monday that his university had been in contact with the Pac-12 office after learning of the alleged offer Rush made.
“On Sunday, March 17, we first learned of the allegation of the events that occurred during the conference tournament,” Byrne said. “Due to the serious implications, we immediately shared our concerns with commissioner Scott and the conference office. We know that an investigation was held and any further issue is a matter for the Pac-12 office.”
… Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, in a radio interview Tuesday, stated that Miller was not given a technical for his words, but for leaving the coaches’ box, and that his fine was not at all related to the technical foul, but for Miller’s actions after the game …
April 1st
USC’s Pat Haden – “What do we do if we lost?” O’Bannon lawsuit
From Sports Illustrated … NCAA leaders will converge on Atlanta this weekend for the Final Four, the organization’s annual celebratory event of not only basketball, but of college athletics as a whole. Mark Emmert and his brass aren’t likely to let the hovering cloud of an industry-threatening lawsuit dampen the party, but at least one prominent athletic official thinks it’s time to start bracing for the worst.
USC athletic director Pat Haden says he’s concerned the NCAA may lose the pending Ed O’Bannon antitrust suit regarding the commercialization of college athletes. He is encouraging conference and national colleagues to start discussing contingency plans.
“We ought to be kept abreast of it at all times, and we ought to prepare for it in case we lose,” said Haden, a former practicing attorney and businessman who became an athletic director in 2010. “I haven’t followed the case closely, but what I read from legal scholars, it’s not a slam dunk for the NCAA.”
The case, filed by former UCLA basketball star O’Bannon in 2009 and eventually expanded to include high-profile co-plaintiffs like Oscar Robertson and Bill Russell, initially focused solely on the use of former athletes’ likeness in products such as EA Sports’ NCAA video games, for which the individuals are not compensated. (EA Sports is a co-defendant.) However, in a motion for class certification filed last August, the plaintiffs contended that both current and former athletes should be included in the case and argued they are entitled to 50 percent of revenue generated by NCAA and conference television contracts.
In other words, it has become a pay-for-play case.
“The context of the lawsuit has changed. What do we do if we lost?” Haden said of the NCAA’s side. “All of a sudden your television revenue — let’s say it’s $20 million a year [for a school]. Now if they win, it’s $10 million a year. How do you make your 21 sports work on half the revenue?”
In January, the judge in the case denied an NCAA motion to strike the plaintiffs from pursuing their class-action claim, with the NCAA arguing that the plaintiffs had radically changed the case midstream. A hearing before Judge Claudia Wilken of the U.S. District Court in Northern California is scheduled for June 20. The trial would not take place until July 2014.
“This is the most threatening lawsuit the NCAA has ever faced,” said SI.com legal expert Michael McCann, a University of New Hampshire sports law professor. “If O’Bannon prevails, it would radically change the economics of college sports. More specifically, it would, like Pat Haden said, require schools to operate a sports program with substantially less money.”
Despite the potentially seismic implications, most college athletic officials have publicly downplayed the possibility of an unfavorable outcome to this point. The NCAA, as would be expected of a defendant in a lawsuit, has remained confident that it will ultimately prevail. “This case has always been wrong — wrong on the facts and wrong on the law,” NCAA executive vice president and chief legal officer Donald Remy said in a statement last month. “We look forward to its eventual resolution in the courts.” And for the most part, that mindset has trickled down to college administrators.
“There’s conversation [about the case], but it’s in the courts. We have no control over it,” Texas AD DeLoss Dodds said recently. “I don’t hear people saying, ‘Here’s what were going to do if it happens.’ … I’ve got more immediate things to worry about.”
In recent court filings brought on behalf of the NCAA in its motion against class certification, several athletic administrators (including Dodds) laid out various consequences if the plaintiffs’ “50-50″ proposition were to become reality. Most notably, as Andy Staples reported, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany suggested his conference members might opt for a Division III model in which no athletic scholarships would be awarded. Such doomsday scenarios are considered wildly unrealistic, but a victory for the plaintiffs or even a pre-trial settlement would almost certainly require fundamental changes for athletic departments.
“What it means is coaches’ salaries will go down, as one outcome,” said McCann. “Some sports teams will be cut is another outcome. Schools still have to comply with Title IX. Schools have to become more strategic.”
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...0401/pat-haden-ed-obannon-ncaa/#ixzz2PFIx2IOs

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back