What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Colorado Men's Basketball Roster & Schedule

What we know:

Paradise Jam: 3 games, starting with Quinnipiac and hopefully leading to Wake Forest and Houston
Coors: 5 games - New Mexico, San Diego, Denver, Portland and Northern Colorado
Away: 3 games - Xavier, CSU, AFA
Neutral: 1 game - Iowa (Sioux Falls, SD)

That's 12 games, so could be the entire non-conference schedule. I suspect Tad might add a local D2 game in late December.

Pac-12 games:
Only thing to figure out here is which 4 teams the Buffs will only play once.
In 2016-17, we played 1 each against UA/ASU and UCLA/USC
In 2015-16, we played 1 each against UA/ASU and UCLA/USC
In 2014-15, we played 1 each against UO/OSU and Cal/Furd
In 2013-14, we played 1 each against UO/OSU and Cal/Furd
In 2012-13, we played 1 each against UCLA/USC and UW/WSU
In 2011-12, we played 1 each against UCLA/USC and UW/WSU

So, that should mean that we're playing UW/WSU 1 each this year and the other pairing we will definitely be playing twice is UCLA/USC (along with Utah, who we always play twice). Odds are that the Pac-12 wouldn't give us 4 straight years of only playing UA/ASU once. So I'd expect that our other 1-offs are either UO/OSU or Cal/Furd.

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/6/29/pac-12-announces-2017-18-mens-basketball-weekly-pairings.aspx

2017-18 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Weekly Pairings (Wednesday-Sunday)
Week of Dec. 27-31

Colorado/Utah at Oregon/Oregon State
Arizona State at Arizona
California at Stanford
Washington/Washington State at UCLA/USC

Week of Jan. 3-7
Arizona/Arizona State at Colorado/Utah
Oregon at Oregon State
UCLA/USC at California/Stanford
Washington at Washington State

Week of Jan. 10-14
Colorado/Utah at UCLA/USC
California/Stanford at Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State at Arizona/Arizona State

Week of Jan. 17-21
Washington/Washington State at Colorado/Utah
Arizona/Arizona State at California/Stanford
UCLA/USC at Oregon/Oregon State

Week of Jan. 24-28
Colorado/Utah at Arizona/Arizona State
California/Stanford at UCLA/USC
Oregon State at Oregon
Washington State at Washington

Week of Jan. 31-Feb. 4
Utah at Colorado
Arizona/Arizona State at Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State at California/Stanford
USC at UCLA

Week of Feb. 7-11
California/Stanford at Colorado/Utah
UCLA/USC at Arizona/Arizona State
Washington/Washington State at Oregon/Oregon State

Week of Feb. 14-18
Colorado/Utah at Washington/Washington State
Arizona at Arizona State
Oregon/Oregon State at UCLA/USC
Stanford at California

Week of Feb. 21-25
UCLA/USC at Colorado/Utah
Arizona/Arizona State at Oregon/Oregon State
Washington/Washington State at California/Stanford

Week of Feb. 28-March 3
(Regular season concludes Saturday, March 3)
Colorado at Utah
California/Stanford at Arizona/Arizona State
Oregon/Oregon State at Washington/Washington State
UCLA at USC

Here's the bracket for Paradise Jam: http://paradisejam.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-paradise-jam-brackets.pdf

Game time are set, we just don't know which bracket we're in after the first game.

I think it looks like we will have a very good chance to be 3rd or better in this one. Beat Quinnipiac and then we would probably play Wake. Loser goes to the third place game against Mercer/Liberty/Drexel or Houtson. Bottom line, this is the perfect kind of tourney for this young team. Should be fun and they will get minutes that will help them in conference

Would have loved to see Wyoming on the schedule. Any idea why we aren't playing them? (other than the losses)

George King
This season:
15.0 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game.
How he got here: A late-bloomer, King picked Colorado over Gonzaga and UTEP.
Bossi’s take: One of these days I’m going to learn to take a closer look at kids coming out of San Antonio. I don’t know what’s in the water down there, but the city seems to consistently produce prospects who didn’t have big reputations but turn into great players. Jordan Clarkson, Andre Roberson, Ben Uzoh. Perhaps King isn’t quite on the level of those guys, but the tough senior has become a dangerous three-point shooter and one of the better rebounders in the Pac-12.

attended first Buffs game of the season last night and I kept having to look up Buffs players numbers on the poster handout. this thread is going to come in very helpful -- feels like we changed 90% of the roster!

Watching the Xavier game as I write this, but I would have liked to have played a P6 opponent in November.....I'd like to play three in the OOC a year.

I thought this was a very disappointing pre-league season schedule. Five local teams? Western State? Mines? UNC? I agree CU needs to play CSU home&away every season, but alternate with AF, UNC, etc. Test the team with true east coast team talent like Xavier, and better prepare them for the league season. Maybe if they had played better teams (and lost) they'd of been better prepared for CSU, which they should of won. Maybe they would of played better at Oregon and OSU? The NCAA tourney is always the final goal, but if you don't have strength of schedule you don't get picked. We all remember the year CU had a great winning season, beating NCAA pick KSU three times, and missing the dance because of their strength of schedule.

I thought this was a very disappointing pre-league season schedule. Five local teams? Western State? Mines? UNC? I agree CU needs to play CSU home&away every season, but alternate with AF, UNC, etc. Test the team with true east coast team talent like Xavier, and better prepare them for the league season. Maybe if they had played better teams (and lost) they'd of been better prepared for CSU, which they should of won. Maybe they would of played better at Oregon and OSU? The NCAA tourney is always the final goal, but if you don't have strength of schedule you don't get picked. We all remember the year CU had a great winning season, beating NCAA pick KSU three times, and missing the dance because of their strength of schedule.
You did? I thought it was very reasonable for a bridging year with a young team. What knocked it down a bit were New Mexico and Iowa being down along with all the name teams getting upset before we could play them in the Paradise Jam.

As far as playing the local teams, I think I'm ok with that. What I'd like to see more of, though, is playing teams that could get CU fans driving to see from border states. I've posted on this before, but I'd like to see more teams like Creighton, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Wichita State, NAU, BYU, Utah State, etc. on the schedule. If you look at other programs, they play mostly regional schedules in the non-con except for a tournament and a couple spotlight games. The challenge for CU is that we don't have that many schools close to us because the MTZ and midwest farm belts have such low population density.

Well we disagree. I don't think distance is the issue with visiting pre-season teams. I'm a Northern Iowa (or U of NI ;o) alum, and if you've followed them as all, they're known as the giant killers for all the great big name teams they bring in and beat, recently North Carolina, KU several times. Most of their success comes from great coaching, but their strength of schedule is what helps them get into the NCAA tourney, and get a lot of recognition, IMO.

Well we disagree. I don't think distance is the issue with visiting pre-season teams. I'm a Northern Iowa (or U of NI ;o) alum, and if you've followed them as all, they're known as the giant killers for all the great big name teams they bring in and beat, recently North Carolina, KU several times. Most of their success comes from great coaching, but their strength of schedule is what helps them get into the NCAA tourney, and get a lot of recognition, IMO.

Yes. If CU played in the MVC, our non-con schedule would be different.

Why. . .does the conference define who we play in pre-season? Same with geographic location. I doubt if travel cost is a factor for big-revenue powerhouse schools. Bring in the funk!

Why. . .does the conference define who we play in pre-season? Same with geographic location. I doubt if travel cost is a factor for big-revenue powerhouse schools. Bring in the funk!

Because we play 2 top 20 teams in 3 days in this conference. The only way to play several top 20 teams when you're in the MVC is out of conference.

The OOC schedule was ideal for this team. Getting whipped by Xavier didn’t help us beat Oregon State, but a great comeback against a lousy Quinnipiac team may have helped us hang on vs AZ and ASU. And the lite early opposition gave some new guys both an intro to college bb and a chance to experience some success.

When you have a trio of McKinley, Battey, and Walton, who all have mental toughness off the charts, it's really easy to go out and win a lot of games. And it's even easier to root for
Bey plays with purpose, too. I love that he's got a chip on his shoulder out there.

Seeing that with the class ahead of them also. Del is one of the best perimeter defenders during Tad's tenure. And Lucas plays with a lot of intensity, fighting for position on both ends on every trip.

It's such an easy group of guys to root for.

I'd still like to see Tory stay-I think the more bigs we have the better-Bey's game is more Andre Roberson than big guy......with the way he shut down Mike Daum when South Dakota State was here being a great example. Walton, Battey, and Miller would be great there.

Back